Virtualised Virtual Reality (6.2b21)

IG82

Works  ;D

Just got my HTC Vive working under Windows 10 KVM using 6.2 b21.

Other than a few small audio glitches it initially seems good.

I was running baremetal on a 2500k @ 4.8Ghz with 16GB RAM and 2x7970s, but I think the GPU(s) were not quite up to the task.  I have been having increasing issues with Crossfire recently in modern games so was planning on changing.

The unRAID machine is a 5820k (stock currently) with 32GB RAM and a 780ti.  The W10 VM has 8 cores and 16GB RAM assigned.  With the GPU overclocked to 1150Mhz it gives an average fidelity of 7 and ready for VR result.

Need to see if some of the odd issues I was having before with GPU passthrough are resolved, but so far looks like 6.2 is a great step forward.

Honestly not as much as I would like.  Most of the content is a bit too much like tech demos.  That said i haven't noticed any control/input issues compared to metal.

I need to get back into Elite and have a proper play session, but that obviously wouldn't use the motion controllers as input.

It didn't work when passing through the USB devices individually in the GUI, of which there are about 10!  But when passing the full controller all was good.  With my motherboard (Gigabyte X99 SLI), I had to tweak bios settings to get separate controllers which resulted in them being USB 2 only.  I haven't tried USB 3 yet with any passthrough so this may be a consideration for the Rift which I believe requires it.

I was getting driver reset issues which causes the headset image to freeze.  This required resetting the headset/software, although the VM was still fine.

The main cause here was I hadn't enabled MSI on the GPU/audio in my eagerness to try it out.  Also I backed off my overclock a bit on the GPU and haven't had any issues since.

All in all though it has encouraged me to get rid of my on Z68 based desktop and have my gaming pc virtual.  As it is under water though it means draining the loop and setting back up which I will struggle to find time to do!