Oculus Rift Support

With the Oculus Rift delays I doubt there are many people that have received them yet....and of those are there any running unraid? ;)

Has anybody heard any word from the unraid team as to whether or not they plan on getting one to test support / compatibility within a windows 10 vm? I have one on order but it won't be arriving until July :(

Anybody else have an oculus rift or htc vive on order?

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered my rift around 2 weeks ago with a ship date of August and it arrived yesterday.... i was not prepared because i built my unraid without a GPU so i could wait for a 1080 to come out.  Anyway i rushed out to get a 970 and when i got home i only had a dvi and hdmi to play with (i didnt have any display port cables) dvi pass through didnt work and i needed hdmi to run the oculus... i gave up pretty much straight away and chucked in a spare ssd with a windows install on it and started playing rift.  Maybe in the next few days ill actually troubleshoot further into the whole gpu passthrough and it working on rift.

I ordered my rift around 2 weeks ago with a ship date of August and it arrived yesterday.... i was not prepared because i built my unraid without a GPU so i could wait for a 1080 to come out.  Anyway i rushed out to get a 970 and when i got home i only had a dvi and hdmi to play with (i didnt have any display port cables) dvi pass through didnt work and i needed hdmi to run the oculus... i gave up pretty much straight away and chucked in a spare ssd with a windows install on it and started playing rift.  Maybe in the next few days ill actually troubleshoot further into the whole gpu passthrough and it working on rift.

When you say dvi passthrough didn't work what do you actually mean? Did you get the 970 gpu passed through to your vm ok? Once passed through I would imagine it doesn't matter what display output on the back of the card you use (I use a combination of hdmi and dvi at the moment).

HI JustJoshin,

I am able to select the gpu on the Windows 10 VM how ever when i boot it up nothing comes out any of my video out puts, i have tried hdmi, displayport(adapter to vga) and the DVI port.  Whilst the VM is up i have been able to rdp to it to confirm its up and running.

Whilst RDP'd i updated the gpu drivers to the latest listed by the vendor. 

Ive also tried some of the advanced settings in the VM tab of Unraid, changing to the supported q35 2.3 which shows it supports PCI-E.

I think i have run out of ideas, if you have any tips or tricks or if there is further documentation on GPU passthrough i would appreciate that.

HI JustJoshin,

I am able to select the gpu on the Windows 10 VM how ever when i boot it up nothing comes out any of my video out puts, i have tried hdmi, displayport(adapter to vga) and the DVI port.  Whilst the VM is up i have been able to rdp to it to confirm its up and running.

Whilst RDP'd i updated the gpu drivers to the latest listed by the vendor. 

Ive also tried some of the advanced settings in the VM tab of Unraid, changing to the supported q35 2.3 which shows it supports PCI-E.

I think i have run out of ideas, if you have any tips or tricks or if there is further documentation on GPU passthrough i would appreciate that.

The only thing I can really say is persist with it. I'm sure somebody can help you out if you open a thread on it. In my case my screen wasn't turning on properly because the gpu was in the same iommu groups as some other devices. After enabling acs override it largely solved my problem. I have two different vm's running on two different video cards now no problem and it has been rock stable with near 99% bare metal performance.