Converting Goliath build (unRAID as a VM) to "Normal Build (unRAID as main OS)

Hi Guys,

I am currently running unRAID 5.02 as a virtual machine in VMware ESXi 6.0 (ESXi is installed on a USB drive) with 20 + 1 drives in the array. I would like to change from the current config to running the latest version of unRAID as the primary OS.

Here is my thinking - please feel free to correct me:

* Make a backup of the current unRAID USB drive

* Shutdown the computer

* Remove the USB drive with ESXi installed on it

* Go into BIOS and change the "boot from" to the USB drive for unRAID

* Reboot the server. Verify that the array comes up. Power down

* Upgrade unRAID to the latest stable version

* Restart the server. Once the array is back online, verify that everything is working as normal

Am I on the right track? Thanks for the help.

Sounds about right to me.  Not sure personally how ESXI presents the drives when Unraid is a VM and whether they'll still be picked up with your currebt config.  Shouldn't be a problem if your drives are labelled and you have a good record of which is which, can always do a new config...

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

When unRAID is a VM, you pass through the M1015s to the VMs. It is possible that the drive letters may get messed up but as you said, easy enough to do a new config. I do have all my drives mapped correctly but I will verify before I perform the action.

Would it be safe to assume that if the array is brought online by v6.x or v5.02, there "should not" be any data loss - meaning that there no new feature in 6.x that will may changes to the array as it is brought online that v5.02 may not understand?

My understanding is that the array config is based on serial numbers. The reason to note the configuration is so that if you have to do "New Config" you can put the drives in order and tell unRAID that the parity is valid.

That said, I believe you are on the correct path to upgrade your unRAID.