FAQ Feedback - for FAQ for unRAID v6

RobJ

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

1) how do you replace parity disk

2) how do you replace data disk

3) how do you shrink your array

The answers to all those questions and many more can be found in the documentation https://wiki.unraid.net/Official_Documentation

1. https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Upgrading_parity_disk.28s.29
  2. https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Replacing_disks
  3. https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Storage_Management#Removing_data_disk.28s.29
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2017 at 11:13 AM, JorgeB said:

Create a temporary mount point, e.g.:

mkdir /x

Now attempt to mount the filesystem read-only:

mount -o usebackuproot,ro /dev/sdX1 /x

For a single device: replace X with actual device, don't forget the 1 in the end, e.g., /dev/sdf1

For a pool: replace X with any of the devices from the pool to mount the whole pool (as long as there are no devices missing), don't forget the 1 in the end, e.g., /dev/sdf1, if the normal read only recovery mount doesn't work, e.g., because there's a damaged or missing device you should use instead:

i'm attempting to recover the cache data, ahead of reformatting

i believe i was able to create the directory "x"

however, i was unable to mount 

i entered

mount -o usebackuproot,ro /dev/nvmeOn1 /x

but got "does not exist"

i've attached screen shot, and was assuming for nvme, that was correct

>>>See Below, from Terminal<<<

Linux 4.19.107-Unraid.
Last login: Sun Oct 18 10:03:30 -0500 2020 on /dev/tty1.
root@Titan:~# mkdir /x
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/x’: File exists
root@Titan:~# mount -o usebackuproot,ro /dev/nvmeOn1 /x
mount: /x: special device /dev/nvmeOn1 does not exist.
root@Titan:~# 

Titan-Main.thumb.png.4767b299701e03a0a141b30e6f290655.png

• 4 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 5:57 AM, JorgeB said:

What can I do to keep my Ryzen based server from crashing/locking up with Unraid?

Ryzen on Linux can lock up due to issues with c-states, and while this should mostly affect 1st gen Ryzen there are reports that 2nd and even 3rd gen can be affected in some cases, make sure bios is up to date, then look for "Power Supply Idle Control" (or similar) and set it to "typical current idle" (or similar).

More info here:
https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/670-rc1-system-hard-lock-r354/

Also many of those servers seem to be running overclocked RAM, this is known to cause stability issues and even data corruption on some Ryzen/Threadripper systems, even if no errors are detected during memtest, server and overclock don't go well together, respect max RAM speed according to config and CPU listed on the tables below.

Note: Ryzen based APUs don't follow the same generation convention compared to regular desktop CPUs and are generally one generation behind, so for example Ryzen 3200G is a 2nd Gen CPU:

image.png.83908e85868bd93d84c8e7f9ee7d9332.png

1st gen Ryzen:

1957135240_1stgen.png.473abc526e7dcf0f315d4a49bb8cbe97.png

2nd gen Ryzen:

292373131_2ndgen.jpg.ce6fe9923eb50ea70fc41c5f6126883a.jpg

3rd gen (3xxx) and Zen3 (5xxx) Ryzen :

1543591904_3rdgen.jpg.3f68aa060b70be3fdb358a6ee48d1818.jpg

Threadripper 1st Gen:

image.png.189a5072ca437e384187294915fb8f9e.png

Threadripper 2nd Gen:

image.png.0646869ee38b1331b0bddf091c21ac5d.png

Threadripper 3rd Gen:

image.png.40296a4eb42eb6d650fe7b6f7e43c374.png

I have changed to DD4-3200

• 9 months later...

Regarding the cache replacement procedure as described here in the FAQ:

I had problems with the mover moving some symbolic links of docker data, due to:

- wrong permissions. This was solved using 'New permissions' on just the cache drive

- symbolic links to content in docker. Those were never moved.

I finally used the plugin 'CA Backup / Restore Appdata' to backup and restore the docker data. The procedure mentioned in the FAQ I followed any way (Backup before moving, restore after moving back), but think this is not really necessary.

Maybe it's possible to extend the FAQ post by those 2 hints.

Similarly to above, I am also replacing my cache and have followed the instructions. I am left with a small amount of appdata on the cache after Moving. it's a lot of Plex metadata, can i literally just copy it to my laptop, replace the drive and copy it back? or should I do what above has said and do a full back up of appdata and then just ignore what's left on my soon-to-be-ex cache?

thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi there, some links in the FAQ don't work anymore:

ironically the links to this thread (FAQ Feedback) give me a "file not found"???

And the Link "How does parity work?" returns 404.

I think there was at least one other link that didn't work, but I forgot which one..sry.

Edited by rwalla
  • 1 month later...

After an unintetional FAQ thread cluttering incident, I've been directed here.

My little bit of feedback is that, it would be nice, if there was a warning notice above the FAQ answer list to tell folks that the links are to the old server, and to you can find more info [here] ... 🙂

• 7 months later...