Cant cleanly shutdown

OK. I'm a new unraid user and ive encountered an issue that im having trouble cleanly resolving.

[ Note: I couldnt add diagnostics because I cant get the logs of the machine to another ]

Everything seemed fine on the array.  Woke up this morning and went to check the WebUI of my SAZNZBD docker and it was non-responsive.  Attempted to restart it and pretty much the same thing.  I then tried to access the user shares from my windows 10 explorer and they were now timing out.  At this point the unraid console web was also unresponsive!   

I ssh into the unraid box just fine and  do a docker ps.    All my dockers are running so 1 by 1 I stop them.  I cannot stop one of them (CouchPotato).  Not sure if I should kill the docker process or not in order to release this.

im trying to cleanly stop the array but it seems unresponsive and I dont know quite how to go about things.

I attempt to stop samba from /usr/local/sbin/samba stop

but the samba process continues.

umount /dev/md1  tells me the (/mnt/disk1) target is busy

lsof /mnt/disk1 returns

COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
shfs    11912 root   91r   DIR    9,1    20480  104 /mnt/disk1/Movies

and theres a buch of files on /dev/md5 also being kept open by shfs!

Is it safe to just kill shfs?  I'm not sure this will solve the problem either.

What steps should I go about. Ive tried to research this but Im not sure what the safest thing to do is.

Once you resolve this you may wish to load the  Powerdown plugin.

Powerdown Package (2.20)

This plugin enhances the built in shutdown scripts. The custom powerdown script package is installed that augments the built in scripts for the clean shutdown and reboot of unRAID. Additional features like archiving system logs and additional start and stop control with custom scripts are added. The system log is archived to the flash drive in the /flash/logs directory on shutdown. If a process is preventing a shutdown, the built-in procedure can hang preventing the shutdown. The custom powerdown package will shutdown unRAID and prevent it from hanging waiting for a process to stop. Events that can initiate a shutdown are UPS power loss, power button press, and cli commands.

My first  "shutdown -h now"  caused a parity check on the next start.  I loaded the Powerdown plugin to try and avoid this issue.

You need to use the 'powerdown' command to get unRAID to close down tidily.  I think the 'shutdown' command you used by-passes things like stopping the array (and thus the parity check on restart).