Power went out, now unRAID will not boot.

Not sure what to do here...

While I was at work, there must have been a power outage.

Lasted at least an hour.

unRAID box is on a UPS with the powerdown plugin but something went wrong.

When I try and boot the box, it goes thru POST ok but never goes anywhere after that.

Just a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Checked boot order in the BIOS and the Sandisk USB stick is seen and the only device in the list.

So at this point, I took the USB stick out of the box and put it in my Windows PC.

Windows wants to run scan disk on it.

I wasn't sure if I should or not so I clicked Continue without scanning.

When I look at the flash drive in Windows it is empty.

Should I let Windows run scandisk on the flash drive?

I'm really not sure what my next step should be here.

Would appreciate some assistance.

Thanks guys.

Matt

Not sure what to do here...

While I was at work, there must have been a power outage.

Lasted at least an hour.

unRAID box is on a UPS with the powerdown plugin but something went wrong.

You need to have a good look at your both your UPS and the settings that you have for the UPS. 

First thing is the 'UPS Setting' page, make sure that your 'Time on Battery' is reasonable.  If you are like me, if the power is out for thirty seconds, it ain't coming back on any time soon.  So make the setting something like 30 seconds or 60 seconds.  Forget about using up all of the UPS battery!  Accept the fact that the power is out and shut things down.  Double check that the powerdown routine can shutdown the array.  You might have a plugin or Docker app that is not releasing the array so that the array can be taken offline.  If the array is not taken off line, the powerdown script will probably hang waiting on it and not shut the server down!

Second, look at your UPS.  What is its power rating?  Can it handle all of your drives being spun up at one time?  (Remember, each drive has a surge current requirement of 2-to-3 amperes as it spins up.  If the power rating of your UPS is exceeded for about 3 msec, it shutdowns instantly!)  How old is the battery?  The half-life of most of these batteries is about two years.  You could test your UPS battery by pulling the plug while the server is running to see if shuts down properly (not really the best idea by the way) --- OR simply use a couple of hundred watt light bulbs to see how long it runs. 

I have the APC POWER-SAVING BACK-UPS Pro 1500VA Tower UPS 865W. 

Should I test that the Powerdown plugin works first by stopping the array then pulling the UPS from the wall?  Before I try with the array running?

I had a bump a few days ago, lights flashed, and I heard the UPS kick in for a second.  All was fine.

When mostly idle the front panel of the UPS is as low as 80w and under load up to 180w.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

I have the APC POWER-SAVING BACK-UPS Pro 1500VA Tower UPS 865W. 

Should I test that the Powerdown plugin works first by stopping the array then pulling the UPS from the wall?  Before I try with the array running?

When mostly idle the front panel of the UPS is as low as 80w and under load up to 180w.

That UPS should be able to handle that load without any issues.  Now, I won't be so keen to begin testing using my server.  From your equipment listing, I would guess that you have a VM or two running.  I start with an extension cord and plug in enough incandescent lamps to draw about 250W.  Pull the plugin and make sure that the UPS will stay up about 5 minutes longer than you have the "Time on battery before shutdown (seconds):" set for. 

If that test passes, be sure you attach a monitor to enable you to monitor the shutdown process.  Make sure you have EVERYTHING running that you use.  Then pull the plug and watching both the time and the monitor, make sure that the powerdown proceeds normally.  Sometimes a process will refuse to release the array and the array can't be shutdown.  If this happens, plug the UPS back in!  What ever happens, be sure to listen to the bleeping that the UPS is making.  If the bleeping becomes insistent, plug the UPS back in and figure out what is happening.