New to unRAID, need a powerful, low power and silent new rig!

bluepr0

Hello guys,

I was thinking about buying a lighting fast SSD for my hopefully-soon-to-arrive Supermicro MB. Specs says it has a M2 PCIe 3.0 x2. I'v been searching through Google and I couldn't find exactly what's the speed for a PCIe 3.0 with 2 lanes, but I found this article where they mention that a PCIe 3.0 x4 has a max speed of 3.9 GB/s. Am I right to think that then a PCIe 3.0 x2 has a max speed of 1.95 GB/s?

I was looking at the Samsung 950 Pro M2 which says it has a speed of 1.5 GB/s write and 2.5 GB/s read speed. Considering the speed of my M2 slot am I right to think that then I could get a full write speed of 1.5 GB/s and 1.9 GB/s read speed from this SSD?.

Or maybe I should take a look to a cheaper SSD that has less read speed?

Here's a few things I would like to do:

• 6-8 HDD + 2 SSDs for cache. Not sure if there's support for PCIe SSDs with NVMe?
  • Backup 2 Macs through TimeMachine (one thing is not clear to me, I know unRAID support AFS but not sure if there's a chance to create a valid TimeMachine volume for usage?)

There are nvme support in 6.2 beta, not in 6.1.9

Yes you can create a TimeMachine share.

width=200https://i.imgur.com/8vVOpOT.jpg[/img]

Man, I can never get my timemachine share to work more than once.

I guess I'll give it another go and use your screenshot. I only have the one macbook, and its always on wifi, so maybe that initial backup never works right, I dunno. I've actually started using crashplan on it, and timemachine to an external drive. But its always nice to have it on the network as well.

Here's a few things I would like to do:

• 6-8 HDD + 2 SSDs for cache. Not sure if there's support for PCIe SSDs with NVMe?
  • Backup 2 Macs through TimeMachine (one thing is not clear to me, I know unRAID support AFS but not sure if there's a chance to create a valid TimeMachine volume for usage?)

There are nvme support in 6.2 beta, not in 6.1.9

Yes you can create a TimeMachine share.

width=200https://i.imgur.com/8vVOpOT.jpg[/img]

Man, I can never get my timemachine share to work more than once.

I guess I'll give it another go and use your screenshot. I only have the one macbook, and its always on wifi, so maybe that initial backup never works right, I dunno. I've actually started using crashplan on it, and timemachine to an external drive. But its always nice to have it on the network as well.

It is working fine for me.

I only have one MacBook pro, and using WiFi too..

I just built an UnRAID box for a friend.  Mostly used for Plex, so needed a lot of CPU power.

Specs are:

i5-6600K with mild overclock (turbos to 4.4GHz on a single core, 4.2 on 2 and 3 cores, 4.0 on all cores).

16GB Hyper-X DDR4

Asus Z170 Gamer

2x 8TB Red, 2x1TB WD Red, 1x 500GB Crucial BX100 SSD

It's FAST. It also idles at 22W with the HDDs spun down, which is pretty good.  It's cooled by 1x120mm fan which runs at about 800rpm, and heat sink is an Arctic Freezer 13 CO.  Case is a recycled Chieftec Bravo.  Drives run at about 35C.

Oookay, I have got some bad and good news!

Bad is that order was taking so long to arrive (because the super micro mb) that I cancelled it

Good news is that I have been searching through eBay and I found ES of the recently released E5 v4 processor extremely cheap. I have asked to see if this ES still supports vt-d and vt-x but I might get one of those

I have also found an Asus (I think it's workstation grade) that supports IPMI and includes usually the features/capabilities of a gaming MB (Asus X99-WS/IPMI - supposedly with a BIOS update it should get Xeon E5 v4 support)

What do you guys think about it?

Well, after researching the entire evening I think I could go with this, but PLEASE let me know what do you think:

• MB: Supermicro X10SRL-F
  • CPU: Xeon E5-2684 V4 120w TDP, a bit more than my previous option E3-1230 but I guess they should idle more or less the same (?). This is a ES one, so it's cheap... I'm just waiting for seller to reply about VT-x and VT-d support

With this MB I don't get M2 PCie 3.0 4x BUT I get a lot of PCIe slots so works for me as well.

I've pulled the trigger... AGAIN :P

Hardware

- Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRL-F

- CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 20 cores

- RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 ECC REG

- PSU: Seasonic Platinium 660 (single rail)

- Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12DC i4

- Disks: 2x4TB WD RED NAS, 1x3TB WD, 1x2TB WD, 1x500GB WD

- Disk cache: 1x250GB SSD Samsung Evo 850

Software I will be running

- unRAID 6.1.9

- Dockers: Plex, Home Assistant, MQTT, iVideon, Influxdb, Grafana, jDownloader, Torrent, duckdns, cadviser

- Plugins: IPMI tools, preclear, unbalance

- VMs: pfSense 2.3, Win 10, Win 8.1

It's done! I've bought all the components... now wait for arrival :)

Hardware

- Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRL-F

- CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2698 V4 20 cores

- RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 ECC REG

- PSU: Seasonic Platinium 660 (single rail)

- Heatsink: Noctua NH-U12DC i4

- Disks: 2x4TB WD RED NAS, 1x3TB WD, 1x2TB WD, 1x500GB WD

- Disk cache: 1x250GB SSD Samsung Evo 850

- Quad LAN IBM PRO/1000 PT Quad Port Gigabit Server Adapter PCI-E

Software I will be running

- unRAID 6.1.9

- Dockers: Plex, Home Assistant, MQTT, iVideon, Influxdb, Grafana, jDownloader, Torrent, duckdns, cadviser

- Plugins: IPMI tools, preclear, unbalance

- VMs: pfSense 2.3, Win 10, Win 8.1, El Capitan (I will try to use it for work)

Got the beast working since Thursday but forgot to add new pics. As you can see, no case for now. I've been running lots of stability tests plus moving data from old NAS and setting up all services, configuration, etc on unRAID

4WnO95gu+

1IQipXgO+

Also check this view, love seeing sooooo many cores :D

5G9zkqaq+

Dude! Your pile of running hard drives is making my brain itch. Is the circuit board of the top 4TB red REALLY sitting directly on top of the drive below it? If you are gonna stack running hard drives, at least put some corrugated cardboard between them and give them some supplemental airflow.

I am digging the motherboard box as a way to let the card slot hang over so the video card will stay seated properly. I've done that exact trick a bunch of times.

Dude! Your pile of running hard drives is making my brain itch. Is the circuit board of the top 4TB red REALLY sitting directly on top of the drive below it? If you are gonna stack running hard drives, at least put some corrugated cardboard between them and give them some supplemental airflow.

I am digging the motherboard box as a way to let the card slot hang over so the video card will stay seated properly. I've done that exact trick a bunch of times.

Haha, no no... the circuit part is on the bottom of the disk so it's not touching it.

i've had a question about your Setup and your Apps/Docker-Containers:

I want to build a similar System. I was wondering if i can put as many disks to sundown/sleep as i can if i'm at work. at afternoon or eveneing i run much of plex and jdownloader etc. but at day i want to syve energy. is it possible to save power on disk-spindown in your Setup?

Yep, I've configured unRaid to spin down the disks if they don't have I/O access for more than 15 minutes. If you will run dockers on the cache as I do then when using Plex it will start only the disk that contains the file you want to watch. It's pretty neat!

• 9 months later...