Windows 10 VM - GPU (GT 430) Not Working After Restarting VM

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post this to check if anyone has seen this behaviour or knows how to fix this one.

Have a Windows 10 VM setup and everything running well, until I restart the VM and the VGA output from the passthrough graphics cards (Nvidia GT 430) doesn't return/work after the VM has restarted.

If I turn off VGA passthrough and restart the VM instead of a VNC session it restarts fine.  The only way to recover the VM is the fully restart the host machine running unRAID, and then the VM boots fine after that.

Settings:

- unRAID: 6.2 Beta 21.  (Behaviour the same in 6.1.9 also)

- BIOS: SeaBIOS.  (OVMF doesn't work with this graphics card)

- Hyper-V: No.

- VirtIO v0.1.109  (Tried 112 and 117, no difference).

Any advice welcome :)

Thanks,

Andrew.

Your GPU most likely doesn't support to be reset. What you can do to avoid restarting unraid is to safely remove the GPU before you reboot the VM. It's done the same way as with a USB stick.

could you please explain how this is done?

what i find strange is this only happens with Windows 7

Openelec i can stop and start the VM perfectly fine BUT i can not Force stop if i do that it behaves just like Windows 7 VM

another thing you can try is to specify the rom file. http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/VM_Management#Edit_XML_for_VM_to_supply_GPU_ROM_manually, but i think it is as saarg says the card doesnt reset.

but it works fine with Openelec VM i can from Unraid stop the VM and restart it without problems but i can not do this with Windows 7 only thing i couldn't do was Force Stop the VM if i did that the VM would not boot again until i did a reboot of the server.

Is this because Windows 7 is using Seabios? while Openelec uses OVFM i think OVFM does something that helps with this problem.