sanity check, upgrading from V5.0 virtualized to V6 barebones

meowtime

For several reasons, I would like to leave my ESXI in the dust and move on to the more exciting docker/ KVM world.

I'm mapping out the workflow of the upgrade and would greatly appreciate and comments or input if anyone happens to have any. Or if you see any glaring errors in my thought process, I would love to hear them!

Current hardware:

Mobo: MBD-X9SCM-F-O

CPU: Intel E3-1220V2

Memory: 2x4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 MHz

PSU: SeaSonic 650-Watt SSR-650RM

Crucial 64GB SSD (ESXI boot drive)

HDN724040ALE640 4TB (parity)

HDN724040ALE640 4TB (array)

ST3000DM001 3TB (array)

ST31000528AS 1TB (array)

WD5000AAKS 500GB (cache)

Upgrading hardware:

CPU: E3-1275v2

Memory: Kingston 4x8GB DDR3 1600MHz PC3 12800 ECC KVR16E11K4/32

Currently I am running "unRAID Server Plus" Version 5.0 virtualized on ESXi 5.5.0.

Unraid is installed on a usb drive attached to the virtual machine and the SATA drives are RDM mapped.

My reasoning for upgrading the CPU is to gain the faster clock speed and hyperthreading. Also, as I understand it, the Integrated GPU of the E3-1275v2 can serve as unraid's GPU should I decide to add an additional GPU passed though to a VM in the future.

While this memory is not included in Supermicro's certified memory list, I'm fairly certain it's compatible based off of reviews/ research of the memory.

Planned upgrade steps:

1. run parity check

2. stop array, backup unraid flash drive

3. power down unraid, power down esxi

4. remove esxi boot drive

5. swap in CPU and Memory

6. test new hardware/ memtest86

7. upgrade USB drive to V6

8. boot v6 unraid

9. check/ fix drive assignments, run new permissions

Thank you very much!

Looks good. It is what I would be planning to do if I were in your position.  I assume that you have found this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

The only possible change you might want to consider is to upgrade your USB Flash Drive to V6 BEFORE you do the equipment upgrade.  Once you are sure everything boots and unRAID is working then do the equipment side of the upgrade.  That way, you are only changing only one thing at a time and if you encounter a problem, you have eliminated one set of variables!

Thank you Frank and Russ.

I assume that you have found this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Yep- that wiki is fantastic and a great help. Thanks to you and everyone else who contributed to that!

The only possible change you might want to consider is to upgrade your USB Flash Drive to V6 BEFORE you do the equipment upgrade.  Once you are sure everything boots and unRAID is working then do the equipment side of the upgrade.  That way, you are only changing only one thing at a time and if you encounter a problem, you have eliminated one set of variables!

That totally is a good idea and makes sense- didn't consider that. I will definitely do that.

Archived