VNC Virtual GPU - any way to improve resolution?

My VNC-based VM (which as I understand it uses a virtual GPU of sort) seems to be stuck at a fixed resolution i.e. tiny screen.

Is there anyway to increase the resolution? I don't know maybe adding some RAM as graphic memory or something. I'm certainly not asking for 4k, but 720p would be really nice.

*Edit: I did check in the VM display properties and it only has 1 resolution. I can't increase it. Hence this question.  :-\

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the problem!.

Apparently it is related to OVMF BIOS. When switched to SeaBIOS, the resolution is no longer greyed out.

That explains why people probably think "what a noob, just change resolution" when I raised the question. Since most people probably use SeaBIOS.

• Thanks 1

I found the problem!.

Apparently it is related to OVMF BIOS. When switched to SeaBIOS, the resolution is no longer greyed out.

That explains why people probably think "what a noob, just change resolution" when I raised the question. Since most people probably use SeaBIOS.

Yes, I can confirm this.  With SeaBIOS resolution can be changed on desktop through VNC (CPU Integrated Graphics).  If I setup VM with OVMF, desktop resolution through VNC is stuck at 800x600 (at least for me) with no way to change it.

I only wanted OVMF for the ability to pass through a dedicated GPU without disabling VGA console directly connected to unRAID.  It is not a huge deal and Remote Desktop connects fine at full resolution.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I had the same problem.

Searched the Virtio cd drive for a better driver.

It then installed: Red Hat QXL controller

I can now select 1920x 1080 as resolution.

That’s god enough for me  ;D

chFresh is right.  Even when using OMVF, in Device Manager -> Display Adapters, update the driver of the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter by searching the Virtio driver iso.  It'll find the Red Hat QXL driver and install it for you.  You can then change the resolution of your VM to anything you want.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, Marshalleq said:

2019 and this is still a problem.

I just did a Windows 10 1903 VM on 6.7.2, and using noVNC through the web gui am even able to achieve 1920x1080 by going to Device Manager, and updating the Windows Basic Driver to virtio-win-0.1.1\qxldod\w10\amd64\

My display adapter is now Red Hat QXL controller. 

What issue are you having?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 7/26/2019 at 2:20 PM, fl0at said:

I just did a Windows 10 1903 VM on 6.7.2, and using noVNC through the web gui am even able to achieve 1920x1080 by going to Device Manager, and updating the Windows Basic Driver to virtio-win-0.1.1\qxldod\w10\amd64\

My display adapter is now Red Hat QXL controller. 

What issue are you having?

After the Red Hat QXL controller driver installed I can't connect with RealVNC Viewer.

RFB protocol error: invalid message type 12

Edited by kzkz
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...