UnRaid and UPS

Hey Guys,

Im trying to setup a new unraid server soon (moving from different raid system). Im curious, Does unraid have some sort of support for UPS's? Is there a recommended list OF UPS's that unraid works nicely with?

So mainly, im just wondering, if i were to go buy a UPS, how do i know if it can safely shutdown the computer (and the VMs) when/if the power goes out?

Cheers.

Hey Guys,

Im trying to setup a new unraid server soon (moving from different raid system). Im curious, Does unraid have some sort of support for UPS's? Is there a recommended list OF UPS's that unraid works nicely with?

So mainly, im just wondering, if i were to go buy a UPS, how do i know if it can safely shutdown the computer (and the VMs) when/if the power goes out?

Cheers.

You'll be safe with anything from APC.  Most other manufacturers are also compatible (By and large, they are all APCUPSD compatible) but there is no definitive compatibility list.

You would test it by first setting up the monitoring, then stopping the array (just in case something doesn't work quite right) followed by pulling the UPS out of the wall.  Your server should shut down according to how you set up the UPS settings in unRaid

• Like 1

You'll be safe with anything from APC.  Most other manufacturers are also compatible (By and large, they are all APCUPSD compatible) but there is no definitive compatibility list.

You would test it by first setting up the monitoring, then stopping the array (just in case something doesn't work quite right) followed by pulling the UPS out of the wall.  Your server should shut down according to how you set up the UPS settings in unRaid

Thanks for your response. I havent started my unraid server, nor purchased it yet (i will be in a week or two after i gather all the hardware).

Can you let me know what steps i would need to take after buying the hardware (APC UPS)? So i gather from your last comment, when i plug the unraid pc into the UPS, i should be able to use the unraid GUI to find some UPS settings section? Would i need to install any drivers/software other than the raw unRaid?

Cheers :)

Awesome, thanks so much.

I will look around and see if i can find a APC UPS for a decent price. :)

I think most modern CyberPower UPS's also works with APCUPSD... oddly like Squid said APCUPSD doesn't have a great list of supported UPSs.

This is a true statement.  Just avoid the really cheap ones in either brand. I would recommend one with no less than 450W rating.  I am using one, I seem to recall that it won't turnoff the UPS after the server has been shutdown.  There are two disadvantages to this issue.  First, sometimes the UPS bleeps when it is running on battery so you have this constant bleeping until the power comes back on.  Second issue is that even though the server does shutdown, the power supply is still on and a certain amount of power is being delivered to the MB.  This is will continue to drain the battery so that when the power does come back on, it will take longer (perhaps, much, much longer) for the battery to complete its recharge.  This becomes an issue only if you have a second power outage before the battery has enough charge to power the server through the second shutdown process.

I am using one, I seem to recall that it won't turnoff the UPS after the server has been shutdown. 

It should shut down the UPS completely.  The way it is supposed to work is that before UNRAID shuts down, the APCUPSD software issues a kill-power command to the UPS which also has a time setting (maybe 60 seconds).  This allows for UNRAID to complete its shutdown before power is removed completely by the UPS shutting down to prevent excessive discharge of its batteries. 

The other thing for anyone to remember is to adjust the APCUPSD setting so that the shutdown process begins with enough battery power left for it to run to completion.  It's also normal to set the PC's BIOS to allow an automatic start up when mains power is restored.

• Like 1

I am using one, I seem to recall that it won't turnoff the UPS after the server has been shutdown. 

It should shut down the UPS completely.  The way it is supposed to work is that before UNRAID shuts down, the APCUPSD software issues a kill-power command to the UPS which also has a time setting (maybe 60 seconds).  This allows for UNRAID to complete its shutdown before power is removed completely by the UPS shutting down to prevent excessive discharge of its batteries. 

The other thing for anyone to remember is to adjust the APCUPSD setting so that the shutdown process begins with enough battery power left for it to run to completion.  It's also normal to set the PC's BIOS to allow an automatic start up when mains power is restored.

I don't think the ups shutdown works on the cyber power ones. It certainly doesn't work on mine and others reported the same.

All other features work, though.

I don't think the ups shutdown works on the cyber power ones. It certainly doesn't work on mine and others reported the same.

All other features work, though.

My mistake.  :-[ Thanks.

• 5 years later...

found this thread wanting to make sure my UPS is setup correctly. Are there some guidelines for

Settings > UPS Settings

Battery Level to Initiate shutdown (%): 50

Runtime left to initiate shutdown (minutes) 10

Time on battery to initiate shutdown 200

Turn off UPS after shutdown  No

I have a similar "Runtime Left 22 minutes" as @Squid has above, so I just copied those values.

I also really appreciate the: test it! Unplug the UPS from wall, and make sure it all shuts down okay.

• 2 weeks later...