[SOLVED]:Adding a pre-cleared Drive to the array-need to "clear" it again?

Hi -

I'm running 6.1.9 and I'm trying to add a new 4tb drive to my array.  I used the Pre-Clear plugin on the drive to prep it before adding it.  Once the Pre-clear completed, I formated the drive to xfs from the unassigned devices tab.  I then stopped the array.  Went to Array Devices and added the new drive to a new slot.  It was recognized as a new drive.  I then went to Array Operation to start the array back up, but was surprised to see a check box that said I must clear the drive to add and start the array.

My question is this: Is that checkbox always there whether you have pre-cleared a drive or not?  If the drive is pre-cleared will it just go real fast and start the array?  Or did I do something wrong that is now requiring the drive to be cleared again, meaning it will keep the array down for an extended period of time to do this?

If it's always there and it will go very fast, I'm fine with that.  If I did something wrong in my pre-clear/format steps, I'd rather do that offline and mininize how long the array is offline.

Any help or guidance is appreciated...

Thanks!

Once the Pre-clear completed, I formated the drive to xfs from the unassigned devices tab.

Do you mean formatted using the unassigned devices plugin?

If yes disk is not cleared anymore.

Note however that adding a precleared disk to the array always results in the same warning, but it it's really precleared it will be added instantly, only after this it can be formatted.

Ok, that was my concern.  When the preclear completed I went into unassigned devices via the gui and clicked the option to format it to xfs there....so that was my mistake.

Also good to know that the warning/checkbox to clear the drive is ALWAYS there.  So a truly precleared drive will be added instantly, but one that is not will take some time.

Thanks so much for answering my questions.  I will pre-clear the drive again using the plugin and then re-attempt to add to the array to minimize the array downtime.

Thanks!  :D