DjSamLb

Planning on using an HP Z440 workstation for my first unRaid build

specs:

Xeon E5 1630v3

64GB DDR4 2133 Reg Ram

512GB SATA HP SSD

Nvidia Quadro K2200 vga

HP MNPA19-XTR 10GB Network card

I was thinking about adding 4 WD Red 4TB HDDs and 1 more 512GB SSD; 2 WDs for parity using the latest public beta, 2 for 8TB storage and the 2x 512 SSDs for caching

I plan on using one single windows 10 vm and have the Nvidia quadro passthroughed to it, would I need another vga? do I get a cheap one for unRaid interface? or no need?

Also what do you guys think about the HDDs? Any other recommendations?

And where should I plug them? the board has the C612 chipset which supports two SATA AHCI controllers, sSATA and SATA. The sSATA controller supports four 6 GB/s ports and RAID modes 0, 1, 10 and 5. The SATA controller supports two 6 GB/s ports and RAID modes 0 and 1

Newbie here so many questions :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

The WD Red drives are great for unRAID.  I haven't worked with the Z440, but I think the so called sSata ports are just the ones which support hardware raid.  Since you are using unRaid there's generally no need for hardware raid so you'll just be using all ports as standard SATA ports.

Dual parity with only 2 data drives seems like overkill, but only you can decide how important that is.  I think you are going to need the extra graphics adaptor. 

• 5 years later...