Unable to delete time machine share

ImBadAtThis

I recently installed v6 and I'm attempting to delete an old time machine backup share.  Ive limited the share size to 0MB, excluded all disks, and even gone so far as to go into each disk and delete the time machine files that were on those disks. 

The time machine share still shows up as not being empty.

I do have a time machine backup file on my cache drive, but am presented with an error stating that I do not have permission to delete this file manually.  I have tried deleting this on windows and OSX.

I can only assume that this last remaining file is the reason that the time machine backup share says that it is not empty and won't let me delete the share.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Time machine backups are sparsebundles which are multiple bands, UnRaid/Linux has issues withe them.

I don't use time machine but have used sparsebundles via SuperDuper and had serious issues deleting and calculating size, I have swicthed to sparseimage files instead.

The only way I could delete them cleanly is via Terminal/Telnet after changing to the correct directory using.

cd /directoryname/

you can list the files using

ls

then delete the sparsebundle

rm -r filename.sparsebundle

The dot extension type is important, i could not delete using just the file name.

Maybe someone else has an other idea.

There are indeed hidden files (i.e. those with names beginning with a period) inside a sparse bundle. There's nothing sinister about them and Linux has no problem with them at all. They are simply folders containing very many small-ish (8 MB) band files plus a few other files.

rm -rf timemachinebackups.sparsebundle

will delete it without a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived