[Support] activ - TransmissionVPN

I cannot connnect to the WebGUI due to a "The connection has timed out" error.

after start of the container the unraid log reads:

Jan 26 11:55:12 SS kernel: veth3ae72c2: renamed from eth0
Jan 26 11:55:12 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth76b2945) entered disabled state
Jan 26 11:55:13 SS avahi-daemon[10028]: Interface veth76b2945.IPv6 no longer relevant for mDNS.
Jan 26 11:55:13 SS avahi-daemon[10028]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface veth76b2945.IPv6 with address fe80::e01b:b9ff:fe94:cf4d.
Jan 26 11:55:13 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth76b2945) entered disabled state
Jan 26 11:55:13 SS kernel: device veth76b2945 left promiscuous mode
Jan 26 11:55:13 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth76b2945) entered disabled state
Jan 26 11:55:13 SS avahi-daemon[10028]: Withdrawing address record for fe80::e01b:b9ff:fe94:cf4d on veth76b2945.
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered blocking state
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered disabled state
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: device veth2adbcca entered promiscuous mode
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): veth2adbcca: link is not ready
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered blocking state
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered forwarding state
Jan 26 11:55:16 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered disabled state
Jan 26 11:55:22 SS kernel: eth0: renamed from veth5e2003a
Jan 26 11:55:22 SS kernel: IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): veth2adbcca: link becomes ready
Jan 26 11:55:22 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered blocking state
Jan 26 11:55:22 SS kernel: docker0: port 6(veth2adbcca) entered forwarding state
Jan 26 11:55:23 SS avahi-daemon[10028]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface veth2adbcca.IPv6 with address fe80::843:a0ff:fe94:793f.
Jan 26 11:55:23 SS avahi-daemon[10028]: New relevant interface veth2adbcca.IPv6 for mDNS.
Jan 26 11:55:23 SS avahi-daemon[10028]: Registering new address record for fe80::843:a0ff:fe94:793f on veth2adbcca.*.

Config is:

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='Transmission_VPN' --net='bridge' --privileged=true -e TZ="Asia/Singapore" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'OPENVPN_USERNAME'='xxxx' -e 'OPENVPN_PASSWORD'='xxxx' -e 'OPENVPN_CONFIG'='Hong Kong' -e 'OPENVPN_PROVIDER'='PIA' -e 'LOCAL_NETWORK'='192.168.0.0/24' -e 'TRANSMISSION_RPC_USERNAME'='admin' -e 'TRANSMISSION_RPC_PASSWORD'='password' -e 'OPENVPN_OPTS'='--inactive 3600 --ping 10 --ping-exit 60' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'TRANSMISSION_DOWNLOAD_DIR'='/downloads' -e 'TRANSMISSION_RPC_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED'='false' -e 'TRANSMISSION_RATIO_LIMIT'='1.1' -e 'TRANSMISSION_RATIO_LIMIT_ENABLED'='true' -e 'TRANSMISSION_RPC_HOST_WHITELIST_ENABLED'='false' -p '9091:9091/tcp' -p '1198:1198/udp' -v '/mnt/user/.incoming/!Torrents/':'/data':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/.incoming/':'/downloads':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/Public/Torrents/':'/watch':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/Transmission_VPN':'/config':'rw' --restart=always --log-opt max-size=50m --log-opt max-file=1 'haugene/transmission-openvpn'

Appreciate your advice on how to debug/fix this!

Thanks!

Edited by tazman
spelling
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

My install also stopped being able to download yesterday morning - saw the replies on here (and that it was no longer maintained) so switched to haugene's Transmission_VPN docker instead.

In case it helps others; I was on Unraid 6.8.3, using PIA with everything running perfectly until that point. My uneducated guess is the triggered for failure was restarting the docker the night before, at which point I guess it never reconnected to PIA.

48 minutes ago, Bokeh said:

My install also stopped being able to download yesterday morning - saw the replies on here (and that it was no longer maintained) so switched to haugene's Transmission_VPN docker instead.

In case it helps others; I was on Unraid 6.8.3, using PIA with everything running perfectly until that point. My uneducated guess is the triggered for failure was restarting the docker the night before, at which point I guess it never reconnected to PIA.

PIA is not compatible with many dockers at the moment due to large changes in their server infrastructure. The new nextgen servers are not working with port forwarding outside of their specific app. Their new servers are also causing issues with connections when port forwarding is not in place, as these dockers use leak tables when the connection is not established in a desired way the app refuses to function.

I had the same issue. stopped working about a week ago. to get it working i had to do the following

1. log onto pia and generate a noe openvpn config https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

2. stop the docker and copy the downloaded config over the top of the openvpn.ovpn file in appdata\activ-transmissionvpn\openvpn (or where ever you store it) 

3. set the vpn_user and VPN_pass to my PIA login details, not the PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password

4. change VPN type to custom

5. change the VPN_Remote to <server>.privacy.network 

I'm not sure if all those steps are necessary but it is working for me now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/25/2020 at 6:24 PM, Webby said:

I had the same issue. stopped working about a week ago. to get it working i had to do the following

1. log onto pia and generate a noe openvpn config https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

2. stop the docker and copy the downloaded config over the top of the openvpn.ovpn file in appdata\activ-transmissionvpn\openvpn (or where ever you store it) 

3. set the vpn_user and VPN_pass to my PIA login details, not the PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS Username and Password

4. change VPN type to custom

5. change the VPN_Remote to <server>.privacy.network 

I'm not sure if all those steps are necessary but it is working for me now

Thank you! This gives me hope, but admittedly I'm running into a few small hiccups trying to perform these steps..

- Which option did you choose, "OpenVPN 2.4 or newer" or "OpenVPN 2.3 or older" ? The file contents make me think the "older" version is the one to choose.

- Do I rename the ovpn file I downloaded from PIA to openvpn.ovpn and then overwrite the existing file in my docker, or delete the existing file and push the new ovpn file with its long filename?

- How do I find the server to enter into <server>.privacy.network ?

Thanks!

-FE

• Like 1
On 11/29/2020 at 12:52 AM, Final_Echelon said:

Thank you! This gives me hope, but admittedly I'm running into a few small hiccups trying to perform these steps..

- Which option did you choose, "OpenVPN 2.4 or newer" or "OpenVPN 2.3 or older" ? The file contents make me think the "older" version is the one to choose.

- Do I rename the ovpn file I downloaded from PIA to openvpn.ovpn and then overwrite the existing file in my docker, or delete the existing file and push the new ovpn file with its long filename?

- How do I find the server to enter into <server>.privacy.network ?

Thanks!

-FE

I did 2.4 or newer, I renamed the one i downloaded and overwrote the on in docker. 

server list is here https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/network/ just pick a contry and it will tell you the address i.e. france.privacy.network

• 1 month later...

Hi,

New to this, but would very much like to have my PIA account connected to Transmission.

But I can not get it to work.

Read many treads, but no luck. Probably missed the solution somewhere reading many treads :)

I´m not an experienced docker-user. I use my unraid for plex and transmission :) 

I have "only" downloaded the docker, put my user and password to PIA there, and changed the IP from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.10.*

And also downloaded the openvpn file from PIA and replace it with openvpn.ovpn in /mnt/user/appdata/active-transmissionvpn/openvpn/

Do I need to do more? 

My info:

Unrad 6.8.3 server-ip 192.168.10.11

active-transmissionvpn docker

transmission settings:

transmissionconfig.thumb.png.bab50867fa2843aac13e3788b0e96aa9.pngtransmission-gui.thumb.png.a1393c88fcd005335bb31885a40c09c4.png

If I put key 1 to "no" it works like before.

Setting it to "yes" I can see the transmission-gui page, but it will give an error, and nothing works. It do not show my torrens that are there from before.

Happy for any help/tips :)

Edited by Banderaz
openvpn info.