Probably a simple symlink question

I have a user share let's call it "Waterfall", and in my "Movies" share I use symlinks to the files in "Waterfall" Plex is pointed at "Movies" only.  All of the links were created with MidnightCommander using (Ctrl-X + s).

I am moving files from disk x to disk y as part of getting rid of the last of my reiserfs disks and going to XFS.

If I move the files in "Waterfall" on disk x, am I going to break the links?

I think the answer is no, since the location of the physical file is still /mnt/Waterfall/file even if physically it moved from x to y. But, given the twilight zone shenanigans that can happen with symlinks, I wanted to check first.

I have a user share let's call it "Waterfall", and in my "Movies" share I use symlinks to the files in "Waterfall" Plex is pointed at "Movies" only.  All of the links were created with MidnightCommander using (Ctrl-X + s).

I am moving files from disk x to disk y as part of getting rid of the last of my reiserfs disks and going to XFS.

I think the answer is no, since the location of the physical file is still /mnt/Waterfall/file even if physically it moved from x to y. But, given the twilight zone shenanigans that can happen with symlinks, I wanted to check first.

files will never be at /mnt/Waterfall as in your example (at least they should not be).    They will be wither at /mnt/diskX/Waterfall or /mnt/user/Waterfall depending on whether you are working at the physical device level or the User Share level..  If your symlinks are at the /mnt/user level then you can move things between disks and they stay valid.  However this is not true if you have used the /mnt/diskX type locations.

files will never be at /mnt/Waterfall as in your example (at least they should not be).    They will be wither at /mnt/diskX/Waterfall or /mnt/user/Waterfall depending on whether you are working at the physical device level or the User Share level..  If your symlinks are at the /mnt/user level then you can move things between disks and they stay valid.  However this is not true if you have used the /mnt/diskX type locations.

I mistyped, and you are spot on. The files are at /mnt/user/Waterfall, so the links should stay valid. Thanks

• 2 months later...

The only problem I have with using symlinks on user shares is that when they are created on the cache drive they are ignored by the Mover. It isn't a huge problem because they are tiny and I can move them manually but I was wondering why the Mover is set up to ignore them.