[Plugin] Fix Common Problems - Beta [THREAD NOW CLOSED]

I think this plugin is very nice.  I can see where it would be helpful when there are issues that a user would not even be aware of.

Just updated and found a warning about FTP being enabled.  I have found that FTP gets re-enabled on a reboot even if I disable it.  This behavior occurs on 6.1.9 and 6.2.  I've reported this as a defect.  I actually think the FTP should be disabled by default and only enabled if a user enables it.

sure... just when I'm about to release it...  I'll look at it...

I don't think the FTP disabling issue is yours.  It is the on FTP settings page.  If it is disabled and you reboot, it re-enables.  Not related to your plugin.

Yeah, I realized that  8) - and you're right - it is a bug in unRaid... keeps getting re-enabled

There's actually another way to check.  by seeing if the user list is populated.  If it is then ftp is actually running.  And if its running, then I think my warning should still stand -> disable it (and now remove the valid users) and install a real ftp server that would actually be a ton more secure

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this plugin is very nice.  I can see where it would be helpful when there are issues that a user would not even be aware of.

Just updated and found a warning about FTP being enabled.  I have found that FTP gets re-enabled on a reboot even if I disable it.  This behavior occurs on 6.1.9 and 6.2.  I've reported this as a defect.  I actually think the FTP should be disabled by default and only enabled if a user enables it.

I don't think the FTP disabling issue is yours.  It is the on FTP settings page.  If it is disabled and you reboot, it re-enables.  Not related to your plugin.

Yeah, I realized that  8) - and you're right - it is a bug in unRaid... keeps getting re-enabled

There's actually another way to check.  by seeing if the user list is populated.  If it is then ftp is actually running.  And if its running, then I think my warning should still stand -> disable it (and now remove the valid users) and install a real ftp server that would actually be a ton more secure

Yes.  It's my understanding that FTP is active and working if it is enabled, and users are defined.  Your approach of checking for FTP users is a good check for the time being.

With security concerns, and a person not intentionally securing ports with their router, it is still best to not have the FTP daemon running unless the user enables it, sets up users, and takes the steps to secure the ports in their router.

Yes.  It's my understanding that FTP is active and working if it is enabled, and users are defined.  Your approach of checking for FTP users is a good check for the time being.

With security concerns, and a person not intentionally securing ports with their router, it is still best to not have the FTP daemon running unless the user enables it, sets up users, and takes the steps to secure the ports in their router.

I've commented out the original code, and once its fixed, I'll reapply it for those versions of unRaid with the fix.