That was weird

I was at my desk checking my email waiting for the timer to signal my cakes were done in the oven and my phone beeps with these messages. I've never had a UPS event. Of course the log file is empty, so there's no details on why this happened.

The UPS settings show 100% charge. This UPS (and two others) is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit. The other servers are up, with no errors in the log.  :o

Weird weird weird...

19fedd482089720.jpg

I had this same problem a while back. Had a little millisecond glitch in the power and my server shutdown with the same message. In my case I had configured UPS shutdown after running for 90 seconds and left the other options blank. I never could confirm this, but it appears that the APCUPSD package has preconfigured (default) values for the various shutdown options that are used if you don't set a value. I had to set runtime to zero to stop it from shutting down the server if the runtime was less than 5 minutes. Might be a similar problem with yours?

Battery level to initiate shutdown (%): 10

Runtime left to initiate shutdown (minutes): 10

Time on battery before shutdown (seconds): 300

Even more strange, the power went out today. Like a full blackout. Everything was fixed and the power back on about an hour later, but this same server had an unclean shutdown. That seems odd to me. The other two shut down cleanly without input from me. AS THEY SHOULD!!!  ;D

Sounds to me like a communication issue with the UPS.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot that?

Properly shut down the server. Temporarily obtain 2 surge protectors with power switches. Plug both into the wall. Plug the server into one of the surge protectors, and the battery backup into the other one. Temporarily wrangle an appropriate amount of electrical load to plug into the output of the battery backup, a couple floor lamps with 100W incandescent bulbs would be ideal. Boot up the server, and go to the settings, ups settings. Observe the activity on that screen and the behaviour of the load lights when you turn off the surge protector that is supplying the UPS. You should see a power failure indicated, and the lamps should only barely flicker, or stay on constantly, while the countdown timers progress on the details section of the UPS settings screen. If all is well, the server will complete a proper shutdown before the load lamps go out when either the batteries die on the UPS or it shuts down if it's configured to do that.

Even more strange, the power went out today. Like a full blackout. Everything was fixed and the power back on about an hour later, but this same server had an unclean shutdown. That seems odd to me. The other two shut down cleanly without input from me. AS THEY SHOULD!!!  ;D

Are you using a cyberpower ups by any chance?

hmmm not adding value here other that I might need to change my user name

Are you using a cyberpower ups by any chance?

No, they're all APC.