Sapphire AMD HD5450 - HDMI audio passthrough fails - kernel panic

Edit 2

BIOS was fine but turns out I needed to disable the on-board audio to get HDMI to pass-through.

It works now but if I restart the VM, it goes back to the kernel panic message, and the only way I can get it to work again is a full reboot.

Is there some way to properly release the cards resources so I don't need to do this???

Sorry - I found this after posting and haven't tried it yet (MB BIOS UPDATE). I can't delete my post so just ignore it for now, I'll report back after attempting it:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=45928.msg439076#msg439076

Hi All,

Trying my hand at moving the HTPC into the NAS via VM. Got myself a low powered AMD HD5450 and the rest of my hardware should support VM/IOMMU.

Info in the web interface shows;

M/B: ASRock - Z87 Extreme6
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
HVM: Enabled
IOMMU: Enabled

I had trouble initially but after enabling PCIe ACS Override, I can select the card in Graphics Card and get GPU passthrough working. OpenElec boots with GPU passthrough and everything seems ok...

Except Audio. :o

IF I select "AMD Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]" in the Sound card, I cannot boot. I get a Kernel Panic error: Unable to handle kernal NULL pointer dereferences at ........ Full screenshot below. Looks like something to do with memory allocation, like the GPU is getting allocated twice or something??? I'm really not sure where to go next.

As soon as I set the Sound Card back to none - I can boot normally.

Can anyone help?!

MANY THANKS!

Helio

Logs and stuff:

------

LOGS When it WORKED (no audio)

2016-05-08 08:41:32.582+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: NAS
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name OpenELEC -S -machine pc-q35-2.5,accel=kvm,usb=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host -m 6144 -realtime mlock=on -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 -uuid 781eb2cf-3899-d0a5-d658-6125c0df4f20 -nographic -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-OpenELEC/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device i82801b11-bridge,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1e -device pci-bridge,chassis_nr=2,id=pci.2,bus=pci.1,addr=0x1 -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 -device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 -device vhost,hostbus=3,hostaddr=6,id=hostdev2 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x6 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=8 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=8 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2016-05-08T08:56:26.249053Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 4213
2016-05-08 08:56:26.400+0000: shutting down

LOGS when it FAILED to Kernel Panic (attempting HDMI audio passthrough)

2016-05-08 08:57:52.171+0000: starting up libvirt version: 1.3.1, qemu version: 2.5.1, hostname: NAS
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name OpenELEC -S -machine pc-q35-2.5,accel=kvm,usb=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host -m 6144 -realtime mlock=on -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 -uuid 781eb2cf-3899-d0a5-d658-6125c0df4f20 -nographic -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-OpenELEC/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device i82801b11-bridge,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1e -device pci-bridge,chassis_nr=2,id=pci.2,bus=pci.1,addr=0x1 -device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 -device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 -device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 -device vdevice usb-host,hostbus=3,hostaddr=5,id=hostdev2 -device usb-host,hostbus=3,hostaddr=6,id=hostdev3 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x7 -msg timestamp=on
Domain id=9 is tainted: high-privileges
Domain id=9 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

Kernel Panic error:

YLxRYHS.jpg

I get the same thing on my openelec\libreelec VMs when i shutdown\restart or force a shutdown on the VM. the only fix ive found is to power cycle the host. I think the VM doesnt gracefully "shut down" the card. I just dont ever shut down these VMs any more so its a non-issue for me really.

Its odd though as i dont have the same issue with my Windows VMs, with the exact same card.

I get the same thing on my openelec\libreelec VMs when i shutdown\restart or force a shutdown on the VM. the only fix ive found is to power cycle the host. I think the VM doesnt gracefully "shut down" the card. I just dont ever shut down these VMs any more so its a non-issue for me really.

Its odd though as i dont have the same issue with my Windows VMs, with the exact same card.

Thanks for letting me know it isn't just me. Its a bit of a pain, especially when getting it setup and not realising that was the cause... lead me down the rabbit hole a few times.

Doesn't seem to matter if its a shutdown from within the OS, or STOP from the web OS or Force STOP.. all tend to prevent any further boots...