[Plugin] CA Fix Common Problems

Somethings not right... I can't replicate it however.

Can you give me the output of

cat /tmp/fix.common.problems/errors.json

so that I can test with what your system is showing.

(But you can get it to be monitored again by either editing that ignoredList.json file (or deleting it altogether)

Somethings not right... I can't replicate it however.

Can you give me the output of

cat /tmp/fix.common.problems/errors.json

so that I can test with what your system is showing.

(But you can get it to be monitored again by either editing that ignoredList.json file (or deleting it altogether)

root@Brunnhilde:~# cat /tmp/fix.common.problems/errors.json
cat: /tmp/fix.common.problems/errors.json: No such file or directory

Got it...  Just had to think it through...

You're not getting an ignored list because you've also acknowledged the error.  Which means that the error doesn't exist anymore on the server.  And the ignored section doesn't show everything that's ignored.  What it shows is errors that FCP found on the last scan that's ignored.

Net result is that FCP won't notify you about the unclean shutdown, and through the GUI as it stands now, you can't monitor it again until an unclean shutdown happens again (at which point it will show up as an ignored error in the ignored section).

Looks like I'll have to add another section to the GUI that displays all errors/warnings that are ignored whether or not they were found again.

In the meantime, your course of action is to delete the ignoredList.json file from the flash drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently moved my docker stuff to a dedicated docker drive mounted at /mnt/disks/docker, so we have /mnt/disks/docker/appdata/plex, /mnt/disks/docker/appdata/nginx, etc. Now I'm getting this in FCP:

Docker application plex has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

I'm not seeing where I can change the AppData Config Path mount to be mounted RW:Slave, there's no edit button like there is for all the other mounts.

Am I blind? Is it relatively safe to ignore this? I can't find much info on what the ramifications of RW vs. RW:Slave are.

I recently moved my docker stuff to a dedicated docker drive mounted at /mnt/disks/docker, so we have /mnt/disks/docker/appdata/plex, /mnt/disks/docker/appdata/nginx, etc. Now I'm getting this in FCP:

Docker application plex has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option

I'm not seeing where I can change the AppData Config Path mount to be mounted RW:Slave, there's no edit button like there is for all the other mounts.

Am I blind? Is it relatively safe to ignore this? I can't find much info on what the ramifications of RW vs. RW:Slave are.

Edit the container, then edit the path.  Its there.  Without using one of the slave modes, every time you restart the server, you will have to stop and start the entire docker service for the app to see any files within a UD mounted share.

I have another candidate for FC: docker webui port mapping conflicts. Maybe I'm obtuse, stupid, or both but I just spent forever tracking down why my bridged containers that I just regenerated (due to linuxserver.io container reworks) would not start. Turns out, it was because they were defaulting to ports 80 or 8080 which are already owned.

Sure you say, any experienced docker user should know that is something you need to change,

BUT ... guess where that is mentioned BOLDLY in the docker config page? No where that I could find  :-\

Sure you say, but unRaid's help dialogue says the following

When the network type is set to Bridge, you will be given the option of customizing what ports the container will use. While applications may be configured to talk to a specific port by default, we can remap those to different ports on our host with Docker. This means that while three different apps may all want to use port 8000, we can map each app to a unique port on the host (e.g., 8000, 8001, and 8002). When the network type is set to Host, the container will be allowed to use any available port on your system. Additional port mappings can be created, similar to Volumes, although this is not typically necessary when working with templates as port mappings should already be specified.

BUT ...you know what it doesn't say, it doesn't say that the docker will not even open or that you need to specifically ensure there are no conflicts. It says you CAN change the mapping, it doesn't say you MUST change the mapping.

Sure you say, but the docker logs will tell you

Cannot start container HandBrake: Bind for 0.0.0.0:8080 failed: port is already allocated

BUT ... that is the docker log, not the system log. The only way to get to the docker log via the GUI is to generate a diagnostics log which contains the docker log and then read it. Sure you can drop to the command line but really, is that the correct solution?

So, I humbly suggest that FC checks for port mapping conflicts. I mean yes I think Limetech needs to do a better job of making all this very clear right in the UI, maybe even doing their own checking when the container is created and pop-up an error. If not that, then they need to do a better job of communicating the error in the logs somewhere to make it easier for the user to identify the failure issue. Like, maybe provide webgui access to the docker log.

BUT I also know that the first thing I did was fire up FC to see if it would help me find the problem. It has become my go to maintenance and troubleshooter and I think this is a feature that can save people a lot of headache if they aren't paying attention to this "common problem" when installing a new / refreshed docker ;-)

Thank you for your consideration  ;D

I have another candidate for FC: docker webui port mapping conflicts. Maybe I'm obtuse, stupid, or both but I just spent forever tracking down why my bridged containers that I just regenerated (due to linuxserver.io container reworks) would not start. Turns out, it was because they were defaulting to ports 80 or 8080 which are already owned.

Sure you say, any experienced docker user should know that is something you need to change,

BUT ... guess where that is mentioned BOLDLY in the docker config page? No where that I could find  :-\

Sure you say, but unRaid's help dialogue says the following

When the network type is set to Bridge, you will be given the option of customizing what ports the container will use. While applications may be configured to talk to a specific port by default, we can remap those to different ports on our host with Docker. This means that while three different apps may all want to use port 8000, we can map each app to a unique port on the host (e.g., 8000, 8001, and 8002). When the network type is set to Host, the container will be allowed to use any available port on your system. Additional port mappings can be created, similar to Volumes, although this is not typically necessary when working with templates as port mappings should already be specified.

BUT ...you know what it doesn't say, it doesn't say that the docker will not even open or that you need to specifically ensure there are no conflicts. It says you CAN change the mapping, it doesn't say you MUST change the mapping.

Sure you say, but the docker logs will tell you

Cannot start container HandBrake: Bind for 0.0.0.0:8080 failed: port is already allocated

BUT ... that is the docker log, not the system log. The only way to get to the docker log via the GUI is to generate a diagnostics log which contains the docker log and then read it. Sure you can drop to the command line but really, is that the correct solution?

So, I humbly suggest that FC checks for port mapping conflicts. I mean yes I think Limetech needs to do a better job of making all this very clear right in the UI, maybe even doing their own checking when the container is created and pop-up an error. If not that, then they need to do a better job of communicating the error in the logs somewhere to make it easier for the user to identify the failure issue. Like, maybe provide webgui access to the docker log.

BUT I also know that the first thing I did was fire up FC to see if it would help me find the problem. It has become my go to maintenance and troubleshooter and I think this is a feature that can save people a lot of headache if they aren't paying attention to this "common problem" when installing a new / refreshed docker ;-)

Thank you for your consideration  ;D

There is an option in the template to show already deployed ports. Almost at the bottom you click Show deployed host ports. That is only in 6.2 though.

If you have a container using port 80 as default, the author have done a huge mistake in the template!

I installed this plugin because I was curious if there is some issue with my server - actually, it's working fine.

With this plugin installed however, the server start-up is delayed for some reason.

See attached logs before I had the plugin installed, and after.

Please advise, how I can help troubleshooting.

Because every time the array starts, this plugin will perform the tests, regardless of if a schedule is set or not.  Didn't look at the logs, but the delay shouldn't be more than say 10 seconds tops.

Another suggestion of an issue to detect (inspired by the recent posting http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51046.msg489900 ), is to detect disks in the array mounted read-only and suggest running the appropriate file system check/repair.

Not sure if this has to be done by looking in the syslog, or whether the output of the mount command would show it mounted read-only in such circumstances.

Testing it may be a bit of a challenge :-)

Another suggestion of an issue to detect (inspired by the recent posting http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51046.msg489900 ), is to detect disks in the array mounted read-only and suggest running the appropriate file system check/repair.

Not sure if this has to be done by looking in the syslog, or whether the output of the mount command would show it mounted read-only in such circumstances.

Testing it may be a bit of a challenge :-)

Already does.  Depending upon your settings, it tries to write to either every disk or to only the disks that are spun up.

It may also catch on spun down disks when it doesn't try to write to it that its been mounted as RO, as I check the file system status, but since the particular file (disks.ini) is not included in diagnostics, I can't verify that a RO mounted filesystem is tagged within disks.ini

You are so right .... Looking in the syslog of the referenced issue shows that Fix Common Problems was correctly reporting that disk5 was read only.

Wonder if it is possible to update the reported issue to include a suggestion that a possible cause of an array disk being mounted read only can be due to file system corruption and provide the steps to perform a file system check on the disk.  But need to be clear that this is not the only possible reason a disk can be read only.

You are so right .... Looking in the syslog of the referenced issue shows that Fix Common Problems was correctly reporting that disk5 was read only.

Wonder if it is possible to update the reported issue to include a suggestion that a possible cause of an array disk being mounted read only can be due to file system corruption and provide the steps to perform a file system check on the disk.  But need to be clear that this is not the only possible reason a disk can be read only.

If it fails a write, the drive is either 100% full or mounted RO.  I send you to the Main tab to begin investigation...

If unRaid flags it at mount time that it has file system errors (can't test that particular item on my production servers), then I indeed do send send you to the Main tab and tell you to run the file system checks.  Like I said, the particular file that contains the info on filesystem errors is not included in diagnostics, so I can't cross-reference against someone that has this particular issue.

I installed this plugin because I was curious if there is some issue with my server - actually, it's working fine.

With this plugin installed however, the server start-up is delayed for some reason.

See attached logs before I had the plugin installed, and after.

Please advise, how I can help troubleshooting.

Because every time the array starts, this plugin will perform the tests, regardless of if a schedule is set or not.  Didn't look at the logs, but the delay shouldn't be more than say 10 seconds tops.

If it was 10s only I probably wouldn't have noticed.

The delay is around 5 minutes.

I have to double check but AFAIK I disabled the plugin after running it once because there were no

issues found that I didn't already know.

Will the plugin also run at start-up if it is set disabled?

I just updated my FCP plugin, and upon reboot I got 8 friendly emails telling me I'm low on disk space on drives.

I don't recall seeing those messages previously...  Any way to disable?  I mean I have a server like unraid because I intend to fill each drive and then add more...

I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer with google, and 40 pages is a bit long to read through.  Any hints?

I just updated my FCP plugin, and upon reboot I got 8 friendly emails telling me I'm low on disk space on drives.

I don't recall seeing those messages previously...  Any way to disable?  I mean I have a server like unraid because I intend to fill each drive and then add more...

I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer with google, and 40 pages is a bit long to read through.  Any hints?

Those messages are from dynamix.  I think you configure it within Settings, Disk Settings

Thank you - unfortunately the Dynamix thread is even longer...  And Google isn't helping...  I clearly want to receive warnings for serious issues, but not that my shares are full.  One of the main benefits of unraid is long term storage, so I think a lot of people probably have disks bulging with data and add disks when they are full.

Appreciate the hint in the right direction though - I'll change the settings to 100% but I fear I'll still get the warnings.

(At the time I was doing something on my ipad, so the pointless messages coming up that I had a new email...  one by one...  Well it was a little distracting and was just hoping to prevent in the future)

Thanks again !

Thank you - unfortunately the Dynamix thread is even longer...  And Google isn't helping...  I clearly want to receive warnings for serious issues, but not that my shares are full.  One of the main benefits of unraid is long term storage, so I think a lot of people probably have disks bulging with data and add disks when they are full.

Appreciate the hint in the right direction though - I'll change the settings to 100% but I fear I'll still get the warnings.

(At the time I was doing something on my ipad, so the pointless messages coming up that I had a new email...  one by one...  Well it was a little distracting and was just hoping to prevent in the future)

Thanks again !

Settings --> Disk settings. Change the Thresholds to your wanted value.

Yes I already set them to 100% - the problem is that my disks in general are at 100% capacity.  Not to the byte, but rounded up.  I guess we'll see the next time I restart the system if I get those 8 messages.

Thanks...

Yes I already set them to 100% - the problem is that my disks in general are at 100% capacity.  Not to the byte, but rounded up.  I guess we'll see the next time I restart the system if I get those 8 messages.

Thanks...

When you are at the disk settings page have a look at the 'Help' function. It will tell you that setting a value of zero means disabling the specific threshold.

'Help' in general gives a lot of information and users are encouraged to use it :)