[Plugin] CA Fix Common Problems

Ah yes, I'm indeed using a couple of AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards. If anyone is wondering, the IRQ Nobody cared issue is triggered by either connecting an HDMI out cable to a monitor or USB mouse and keyboard. Simply not doing that (or rebooting after you say change BIOS settings) avoids the problem altogether. Otherwise those cards seem to work fine. I've had them for almost 10 years now.

Edited by crazygambit

Extended test not completing and stuck on appdata. I let it go for 24 hours before removing/reboot/re-installing and trying again today. Is there a way to force stop the test, and or get any more information on what it is doing? The tail and system log show no more than what the "status" shows on the GUI. TIA

extendedLog:

/tmp/fix.common.problems# tail -f extendedLog
<tt><b>The&nbsp;following&nbsp;user&nbsp;shares&nbsp;will&nbsp;be&nbsp;excluded&nbsp;from&nbsp;the&nbsp;permissions&nbsp;tests:</b><br><br></tt><tt>/mnt/user/appdata<br></tt><tt><br></tt><tt>Processing&nbsp;/mnt/user/appdata<br></tt>

System log:
Dec 23 11:19:48 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:22:11 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:24:58 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:30:08 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:33:22 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:40:27 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:44:31 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:52:51 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 11:57:12 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 12:02:50 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 12:03:41 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 12:10:15 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 12:17:44 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 12:40:11 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 12:40:16 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 13:08:03 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22
Dec 23 15:17:29 Tardis root: Fix Common Problems Version 2019.11.22

On 12/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, Squid said:

Is it still running or did it crash abnormally?

ps -aux | grep extendedTest

requested output: after about 24 hours.

ps -aux | grep extendedTest
root      2874 18.7  0.0 100952 24420 ?        S    Dec25 286:18 /usr/bin/php /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/fix.common.problems/scripts/extendedTest.php
root      3263  0.0  0.0   3912  2248 pts/1    S+   12:06   0:00 grep extendedTest

Tail of log:

/tmp/fix.common.problems# tail -f extendedLog
<tt><b>The&nbsp;following&nbsp;user&nbsp;shares&nbsp;will&nbsp;be&nbsp;excluded&nbsp;from&nbsp;the&nbsp;permissions&nbsp;tests:</b><br><br></tt><tt>/mnt/user/appdata<br></tt><tt><br></tt><tt>Processing&nbsp;/mnt/user/appdata<br></tt>

I did however notice if I stop the array, it will force finish the job, with the below results (removed some share names):

The following user shares will be excluded from the permissions tests:

/mnt/user/appdata

Processing /mnt/user/appdata
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/ISOs
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/Programs
Processing /mnt/user/Server_Backup
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/
Processing /mnt/user/system
Processing /mnt/user/

The following files / folders may not be accessible to the users allowed via each Share's SMB settings.  This is often caused by wrong permissions being used on new downloads / copies by CouchPotato, Sonarr, and the like:

/mnt/user/BACKUP   root/root (/)  0
/mnt/user/   root/root (/)  0
/mnt/user/ISOs   root/root (/)  0
/mnt/user/Programs   root/root (/)  0
/mnt/user/Server_Backup   root/root (/)  0
/mnt/user/system   root/root (/)  0

The warning for UD+ mentions filesystems which require UD+ and filesystems which don't, but it doesn't mention NTFS at all as one of the filesystems that does (not) require UD+.

I expect NTFS is a fairly common filesystem to use with UD (the only one I use), and as far as I know it doesn't require UD+

Also a typo, it says HSF+ instead of HFS+

2 hours ago, trurl said:

I expect NTFS is a fairly common filesystem to use with UD (the only one I use), and as far as I know it doesn't require UD+

I'm going to go with that FCP's comment is correct by omission :) 

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Also a typo, it says HSF+ instead of HFS+

🤬

I really have no idea.  If it crashed, then I'd have a clue, but since it was still running, the only thing that makes any sense is that it's going in an endless loop reiterating over things.  The only thing I can think of is that there's a loop on symlinks or something where it just keeps going back and forth.  I'll try and replicate, but if I can't, then there's not going to be much I'd be able to do.

Thank you for looking into it. The only recent changes on the server was a chassis/hardware change. I can’t recall the last time I ran an extended test before that, more than a few months. Not sure if that would change anything with the working of the application. One would think that a uninstall, reinstall would correct that if there was? Everything else is working correctly that I can tell. I can try to swap back an test if you think it’s worth the effort.

15 hours ago, The_Doctor said:

Thank you for looking into it. The only recent changes on the server was a chassis/hardware change. I can’t recall the last time I ran an extended test before that, more than a few months. Not sure if that would change anything with the working of the application. One would think that a uninstall, reinstall would correct that if there was? Everything else is working correctly that I can tell. I can try to swap back an test if you think it’s worth the effort.

Good news, it took some time, but finally finished

31-12-2019 02:32 Fix Common Problems Extended Tests Completed Errors Found warning

29-12-2019 20:05 Fix Common Problems Extended Tests Beginning normal

• Haha 1

Hi, after running an extended test, and clicking view results, the UI loads a few thousand lines, then becomes unresponsive, and the main Unraid UI is also unresponsive.

I assume results file is too big for the method being used to display the contents, maybe a download vs. display is a better option.

Is there a log file on the filesystem I can view instead?

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you.  This plugin is great!  I am converting from reiserfs to xfs and I fat fingered a slash, which ended up giving me an extra folder that caused a user share to have the same name as a disk share.  Fix Common Problems found the error, and the explanation was spot-on so I could figure out what I did wrong and fix it.  Most Excellent!  Thanks!

Best Regards,

Jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't get how OLD "possible hack attempt" get cleared.

Ignoring them doesn't cut it.

I am talking about OLD ones.

Seems like to clear this error it needs to check the OLD DATE (!?) and not find a hack attempt?

That is not possible when the date is passed.

Not sure what to do.

Clicking ignore prevents it from alerting you again.  Since the hacks are logged in the syslog, they are always there and it will show up in FCP as an ignored error.  The only way to clear out the syslog is to reboot.

A hack attempt is a hack attempt is a hack attempt.

Today's update is about checking for the security issue mitigations detailed below

Two errors are possible:

• unRaid version 6.7.0 to 6.7.2 - Install the plugin via the apps tab as detailed in the above link.  (You would have also received a separate warning that your OS version is out of date - Ideally, unless there is a compelling reason for you to remain on the unRaid version you are using, it is highly recommended to upgrade to 6.8.2+)
  • unRaid version greater than 6.7.2 and less than 6.8.1, the advice is to upgrade your OS to 6.8.2+  Again, you would have also received a separate warning advising to upgrade your OS

NOTE: the mitigation plugin will ALSO help secure your server if you are running any unRaid version of 6.6.x  Unfortunately, Fix Common Problems requires unRaid 6.7.0 to operate, so no warning / error will be sent if you are still on those older versions of unRaid.

always advise users to keep their OS and plugin versions up to date with the latest stable version.

On 2/1/2020 at 10:30 PM, Squid said:

Clicking ignore prevents it from alerting you again.  Since the hacks are logged in the syslog, they are always there and it will show up in FCP as an ignored error.  The only way to clear out the syslog is to reboot.

A hack attempt is a hack attempt is a hack attempt.

Now this is strange, because I had ignored (actually fixed) entries, since at least a couple months back - and trust me I have rebooted a few times since then - but the entries kept showing.

BUT

Today (and after updating your plugin to latest version) that I run it first time after Saturday... it is now empty.

So case closed, but it was weird.

8 hours ago, NLS said:

I had ignored (actually fixed) entries

Unclear what you mean here, since ignoring and fixing are different things. If you ignore something, the "ignore" will remain even if the problem isn't currently occurring, and it will continue to ignore if the problem occurs again.

There's actually 2 sections for ignored errors

1st section is Ignored Errors.  These are errors / warnings which are still present, but are ignored ie: will not send out a notification, but may still log it depending upon the settings

2nd section is All ignored errors.  These are errors / warnings which have been ignored in the past but may not still be present.

Also should be noted that any and all errors listed (and the 1st section of ignored) is from the last run of the tests.  If another run hasn't happened on a schedule or you haven't clicked Run Tests, then those errors will remain...

On 2/10/2020 at 8:40 AM, trurl said:

Occasionally I get an email from FCP about CPU overheating. How does it determine that? Whenever I look it isn't.

@Squid

Is it picking up something from the syslog when it says this? If so maybe I could find it and get a timestamp to see if it correlates to something.

Nevermind, I found it.