I need a recommendation to a CPU & MB

Hello ALL,

I need a recommendation for a CPU & Motherboard for my new UNRAID PC.

the unraid system will be on 24/7 and will run the following constantly:

*TVHEADEND, which will record tv programs and broadcast to max 3 clients for now.

*TRANSMISSION, which will be on 24/7, downloading and uploading torrents.

*SMB sharing folder, will share HDD folders for watching movies and series, to max 2 clients for now.

*Virtualbox, running OPENWRT OS constantly, which will be as a router, which I need for this 2 RJ45 ports,

1st RJ45 for receiving internet from the modem.

2nd RJ45 for sharing internet and for my home network to a switch/router (will also be connected to PIA VPN).

*running Konversation (IRC client), which will be connected to 2 servers.

*connect at least 3 SATA HDD's + msata (or SATA) SSD for cache.

*RJ45 must be 100/1000.

I don't know the many features that UNRAID offers so I don't really know what would be my future requirements from my system,

but sure that some will be.

which CPU and motherboard will fit me?

I don't mind buying user CPU from ebay.

fyi, I don't have yet a ATX or so nor power supply.

Thanks!

To be fair, there's lots and lots of other threads about this, and most people have their system specs in their signatures.  You can get a fair idea of what works and what doesn't if you spend a few hours reading the forum.

For your use, even a Celeron J1900 based Supermicro X10SBA would do your job.  Basically anything with enough SATA ports will do, you're not doing anything at all complicated.

oh,

ok.

anyway, I have check the Celeron J1900 based Supermicro X10SBA that you recommended me about,

and I could see that it supports only SATA2,

I am looking for something more modern that will support SATA3,

any other recommendations?

For the openelec vm, you're going to need a cpu and mobo with vt-d so you can pass through a gpu

Check out the thread about the xeon e5 2670 in the good deals section. You get a super fast system for a good price.

For sata 3, you can always get an add on pci card like lsi aoc-sas2lp or dell perc h310. each one adds 8 sata 3 ports

anyway, I have check the Celeron J1900 based Supermicro X10SBA that you recommended me about,

It supports 4x SATA3.  What are you looking at, because it isn't the X10SBA if you're only seeing SATA2?

It supports 4x SATA3.  What are you looking at, because it isn't the X10SBA if you're only seeing SATA2?

I accidentally saw X10SBA-L instead of X10SBA..

anyway,

I would like to use the VM capability to run OPENELEC.

the xeon that was offered few messages ago looks too much for me, do I really need 8core cpu for this? it also consumes a lot of power.

People might kill me for this recommendation but the "ES" (Engineer samples) are reeeeally cheap and you can get an incredible CPU for less than 100$. In my case for example, I got an E5-2698v4 for 500€ while the retail price is around 4500€ I think.

I also love the MB I bought, it has 10 SATA, IPMI, 7 PCIe, etc. Check my signature for more details.