Confused about Split Level

Hey All,

As I'm finalizing my v6 unRaid build, I was making sure that nothing had changed with Split Level since v4/v5.  I thought I had a handle on how everything works... but then I saw this --> Split Level

The diagram above seems to indicate that the parent share does not count towards the split level... which was not my understanding.  So if I'm doing the following with my movies (for the sake of argument), what's the correct split level -->

Movies (Share Name)

Kids Movies - Parent Movies

[movie folder]

[movie file]

My understanding is that I would want to have a split level of 2 in the above scenario.  However, based on what I linked above, I should choose split level 1.  Which is correct?

Thanks!

~Spritz

The parent folder (share name) DOES count towards the split level.

Thanks for that!  However, I'm my brain is just having difficulty wrapping my mind around the split levels I need.  Could somebody sanity check what I'm going to put in place... to give me the warm fuzzies.  Bonus it may help somebody else as well :)

NOTE - I've placed a star besides the level I think it should be split at.

1.  Movies

*2.  Kids Movies/MD Movies/Mom Movies

3.  Movie Folder

4.  Movie File

1.  TV

2.  Kids TV/MD TV/Dad TV/Mom TV

*3.  Series Name

4.  Season Folder

5.  Episode Files

1.  Music

2.  Archive/Our Music

*3.  Artist Folder

4.  Album Folder

5.  Song File

1.  Documents

*2.  M Documents/D Documents/Scanned Documents

3.  Various Files & Folders

1.  Library (need to verify comic naming)

*2.  Comics/Books

3.  Comic Series/D Books/M Books [NOTE - If the mylar naming convention allows, we could go one folder deeper)

4.  Comic Files/Author Folder

5.  NA/Book files

1.  Backups

*2.  Crashplan/Manual Backups

3.  Crashplan Backup/Files & Folders

4.  Crashplan Backup files/NA

1.  Software

*2.  Windows/Linux/ISO

3.  Files & Folders

1.  Photos

*2.  Year

3.  Month

4.  Photos

Feedback is welcome, either on split level or folder structure.

Thanks!

~Spritz

Sorry, but it isn't entirely clear what you're asking. itimpi answered your first question and you then asked a second, seemingly rhetorical, question and answered it yourself. There is no "correct" place to do the split. It's down to personal preference. So now you've outlined your plan, yes, go ahead and make the splits where you've indicated.

Unfortunately, over the years people have posted these 2 ways to count the split level. The first way is the official LimeTech way.

Start numbering at the share = split level equals the last directory that can exist on multiple disks.

Start numbering at the first directory into the share = split level equals the first directory that can ONLY exist on a single disk.

The pictures are correct. Take level 3 for example. What the picture is saying is that the share (1), top level (2) and second level (3) can exist on multiple disks. However, the movie folder is only created on one disk which means all the movie files must exist on one disk.

I'm not a big fan of the text descriptions in the newest unRAID versions. The first top level directory is the share, which isn't the clearest for some people. The levels in the new unRAID settings do not match those Simple Features drawings.

Your splits look OK.

Unfortunately, over the years people have posted these 2 ways to count the split level. The first way is the official LimeTech way.

Start numbering at the share = split level equals the last directory that can exist on multiple disks.

Start numbering at the first directory into the share = split level equals the first directory that can ONLY exist on a single disk.

The pictures are correct. Take level 3 for example. What the picture is saying is that the share (1), top level (2) and second level (3) can exist on multiple disks. However, the movie folder is only created on one disk which means all the movie files must exist on one disk.

I'm not a big fan of the text descriptions in the newest unRAID versions. The first top level directory is the share, which isn't the clearest for some people. The levels in the new unRAID settings do not match those Simple Features drawings.

Your splits look OK.

So to confirm (since now I just got confused (never open a thread that doesn't affect you)), if I want the below:

Movies (Share name)

--Antman (2015)

----Antman (2015).mkv

------Extras (3)

--------actor.jpg

and I want all my individual movie folders to be on a specific disk I would want Split Level 2 or Split Level 1. I assume Split Level 1.