SteamOS black screen with a big mouse

During installation it was fine, able to load into the desktop and updating. However after loading some app automatically (steam I guess) in fullscreen, the screen just flickers like every 5 second with a big mouse icon. This happens on both gpu passthrough and VNC. I'm using the latest steamOS iso, with 20 GB and 2GB ram allocated. Since the first install/update, it always boots straight into Steam (Big picture mode?), and alt+tab/win key doesn't do anything..

Update: Created another VM, after installation and everything, sometimes I see the darken steam os logo screen (it doesn't animate) but the final thing I see is a DARK SCREEN, and if I move my mouse, I see a BIG BORDERED BLACK CURSOR. Sometimes no mouse cursor appears, and if I try to click or move the mouse the screen keep resizing for whatever reason. Is this normal?

Photo here: pqCRSPx.png?1

I just did some search on reddit/google (steamos black screen), looks like it's some issue with SteamOS from 2 years ago. I've read up and one have suggested to use uefi instead. However the one provided by Steam is in the form of a .zip file (which we are supposed to extract to a bootable fat32 drive). However the ui in VM Manager only accepts ISO, how can we fix/use this .zip file or read from the extracted folder?

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2016 at 0:00 PM, CyberMew said:

I just did some search on reddit/google (steamos black screen), looks like it's some issue with SteamOS from 2 years ago. I've read up and one have suggested to use uefi instead. However the one provided by Steam is in the form of a .zip file (which we are supposed to extract to a bootable fat32 drive). However the ui in VM Manager only accepts ISO, how can we fix/use this .zip file or read from the extracted folder?

Sorry to resurrect such an old post but i decided to try SteamOS out last night and have this exact same issue.....did you ever happen to get to a resolution of the issue here?

• 2 years later...