Random Reboot

Hi everyone,

My unraid server every 4 or 5 hours reboots for no reason.

I managed to store my syslog on the cache drive temporarily so I could see if anything gets logged in the lead up to the reboot.

But there is nothing in the syslog at all the only thing in it is when it reboots again so it seems like its just being hard reset hence the no logging of anything.

Could it be the power supply and is there any load test or similar I could do on it?

I have just recently replaced the motherboard, CPU and ram but it was doing this before that hence my suspicion on the power supply.

Any help / ideas appreciated.

If it was doing it before with your other components than it would have to be your PSU. I doubt your case is causing the issue after all. All kidding aside the only components you didn't replace (I'm assuming) are the hdd's, the flash drive, the psu and the case. Easy thing to try, change your flash drive for another one to test it for a bit. But it's  probably your power supply.

I don't know about load testing your psu, I would just swap it for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you been sitting there at the server when it took a notion to reboot? Reason I ask, there have been instances where pets or children have been the cause of similar events. Also, does your UPS ever complain about the power? Sometimes brownouts that are too short to really effect other electronics can cause computer issues, and your UPS may not be functioning properly.

No pets in the house and no haven't been able to see it happen unfortunately it's very random.

No brown out's either the server is connected to a power board and I have swapped that to plus everything else is running fine.

I have now removed the server from the power board and have plugged it direct into the wall.

Is there a way to run a CPU load / heat test and log this to cache drive?

Syslog is completely blank which indicates no hardware issues but I would like to log the state of the system and capture it when it reboots.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Just to recap on this...

Server specs are:

Patriot 8GB DDR4 Ram Single Stick

Intel BX80662G4400

Gigabyte H110M-H

4 Disks (1 Cache SSD, 1 Parity and 2 Storage drives)

Here are the known symptoms: / Things happening

1) Server reboots randomly about every 4 - 10 hours

2) Its a complete hard unsafe reboot as nothing is logged in the syslog about it shutting down it seems to just be literally resetting (I have verified this by storing syslog temporarily on the cache drive)

3) I have swapped CPU, Memory, Motherboard, Power Supply and USB Stick

4) I have also changed the power board and power point the server is plugged into

The only things I can think of to move forward and this where I need your help please -

1) Plugins (NOT SURE HOW???) - Currently have Phaze Sab, Sickbeard and Plex and Unassigned Devices, Powerdown Package, Fix Common Problems Dynamic Active Streams and Nerd Tools

2) Disks full (Would this cause a reboot?) - My two disks are 94% and 97% full

3) Bad RAM (Will run memtest tonight!) - RAM seems to be fine and not operating at full capacity

4) CPU Load (Not sure how to test this is there a way to log CPU to cache drive so I can check it?) - CPU Usage seems a bit high as everytime I restart the array it runs a parity check and Sab and Sickbeard kick in. Would CPU being high 90% + cause it to hard reboot for any reason?

5) Faulty reset switch on the case itself?

Yes that's straightforward so I disconnected all switches connected to the board.

It was up for 11 hours, competed a parity check and then had one stream going and I was deleting some files from the sever and it restarted twice in the space kg 5 minutes.

I am at a bit of loss but in a last ditch attempt I am running a memtest and will see what happens.

Failing that I'll try safe mode.

The only thing I noticed was the CPU is quite high and often peaks to 100% when sabnzbd is working

Is it possible if the CPU gets high that it would hard reset?