[SOLVED] Cant get dockers/file access to work stably.

OK So I've been going at this for three weeks now and I'm at the end of my ability to figure out any more things I can try.

I use my unRAID server as a media server, an application server for SABNZB, Couchpotato, Sickbeard and Mariadb and lastly as a vm host for a windows 10 vm (with GPU and USB passthrough).    I started with the latest beta of 6.2 as it seemed relatively stable and had the features I wanted.

First the good:

The OS has never crashed on me.  Not once.

The VM Seems to work just great.  my GPU is passed through nicely as well as the USB ports (and this is on a system with no onboard video and a nVidia GPU!)

File serving is just fine (as long as all I'm doing is reading)

but writing across shares or moving large data around a share is problematic.

I first noticed the problem that if I let SABNZB download large files it would hang up the disks keeping them locked.  I would lose all SMB access and the web would hang up as soon as I did any operation that accessed the shares. 

If I turn off couch potato or don't allow SAB to do large downloads (TV shows were still fine apparently) then everything is stable.  I can go for a week without trouble. 

I then found out that if I copied a large file (8-10 GB) between 2 shares I would lock up the SMB in just the same way! 

I tried the following experiment:

Copy large file from another machine to a share on the uNRAID array :  No Problem

Copy large file from a share on one disk to another share on a different disk :  Locks up the SMB

Copy large file from a share on one disk to another share on a same disk :  Locks up the SMB

Copy large file from a share on one disk to the same share on the same disk : No Problem

Copy large file from a share on one disk to the same share on another disk : No Problem

This was fascinating.  Perhaps a defect in unRAID beta regarding moving between shares?

So I tried putting my movies, tv shows and downloads all within one share (Media).  I still get the SMB lockup.  :-(

I've tried adjusting docker settings, I've ran the common problems plugin etc.  can't figure out any solution to this.

These SMB lockups are such that I can't kill the processes holding the files open and the only solution is to "powerdown" and then after hold down the power button on my server until it shuts down - then restart.  I have yet to have this make me lose data at least.  Before I did anything I ran a memtest for over 24 hours without any errors.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the logs indicating a problem even happens (I do see 2 mce [hardware error]s in the log at boot up, but I haven't found anything to explain them:  checked all the cabling and no issues in the smart logs - temps all seem good).

Question:

Should I downgrade to 6.1.9?  Is this likely even to help? 

I can't figure out if there is an easier way to downgrade other than to reformat my USB flash drive and load 6.1.9 on it and reconfigure everything.  Is that the only/best way?

I really want to figure all this out.  Ive spent a ton of time on it and I appear to be out of my depth.

Frank

Sorry, I couldn't upload the diagnostics earlier. I was off network.

I've now attached it.

As far as SABNZB goes, Like I said - I've also been able to cause the SMB lock merely by copying a large file between 2 shares...

No diagnostic here?

You should try to downgrade, to see if that fixed the problem, just in case.

SO its been over a week now and everything has been running great.  Here's what I did to solve the problem

1) Adjust all my shares so that any large copying/moving between folders happens on the same share.  About the only files I have that are large enough to cause the SMB lockups when moving between shares are movie files.

I've since put my downloads and Movies folders on the same share.

2) switched from SABNZB to NZBGet.  I miss the ratings capabilities of SAB but otherwise NZBGet is great.

After doing those two things my SMB shares no longer get 'locked up' or held busy causing me to lose the UI and other functionality (including most importantly large chunks of my SMB file system).