Where does my parity check speeds rank?

10 minutes ago, bonienl said:

There is a known "bug" when doing a data disk rebuild and the disk is smaller than the parity disk, it will calculate average speed based on the size of parity disk, which makes the result higher than the actual speed.

E.g. when your parity disk is 4TB and you rebuild a data disk of 2TB, the calculated speed is double the actual speed.

I believe that explains it.  IIRC, I was doing a drive upgrade/rebuild.  I replaced a 4TB with an 8TB drive.

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2016 at 12:39 PM, Brownboy said:

I was wondering were my parity check speeds rank compared to some other users out there.. im not sure if my speeds are average or not.. Im seeing about 90MB/s for a 4tb parity drive with a 7 disk array. i know hardware has alot to do with it so here is a quick rundown of my setup..

Intel i7 5820k processor

Gigabyte x99p-SLI motherboard

64gb Gskill Ram

1 4tb seagate nas drive 6gb/s *parity drive*

2 4tb segate desktop 6gb/s

3 2tb seagate desktop 6gb/s    *2 on sata card*

1 2tb hitchi destop drive 3gb/s *on sata card*

1 1tb wd green drive 3gb/s.      *on sata card*

I have a sata card pcie 2.0x1 with 4 of the drives on it.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

Heres 's mine with a 4tb parity and 7 4tb disk array

Last check completed on Sat 02 Feb 2019 05:18:09 AM EST (today), finding 0 errors. 
Duration: 8 hours, 18 minutes, 8 seconds. Average speed: 133.9 MB/sec

7 hours ago, juan11perez said:

it was a typo. apologies I meant 10MB/s on load.

Most people configure things so their dockers and VMs are on cache or unassigned device and not on any array drive. They shouldn't affect parity if you are doing it that way. Do you know which disk your system and appdata shares are on?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

Thank you very much for your help. I went and did a bit of research, which turned out to be exactly what you recommended. Basically docker/vm shares wrongly configured (not in cache). I've corrected it and not only is parity executing at avg 120MB/s but the server performance is now what I expected. 

Edited by juan11perez
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I was reading this thread, I thought I might add my own numbers for other peoples curiosities:

Last checked on Tue 12 Feb 2019 06:56:05 PM PST (yesterday), finding 0 errors.
Duration: 16 hours, 56 minutes, 4 seconds. Average speed: 131.3 MB/sec

I currently have 6x 8TB drives in the array: 1 parity, 5 data storage (40TB)
VMs and Dockers on Cache, but I leave everything running, including 2 VMs using around 88% of RAM, one being a very data transfer intensive VM to the disk array.

• 2 years later...

As I am awaiting the parity check to finish I was reading these messages in the forum.   You guys are getting great speeds.  My set up is 62TB Server (couldn't resist the price of the 14tb this week)  - I used to use 10tb parity, 10tb drive and 3x6TB drives (the parity build for the 10tb took about 1 day).   For the one below it's on day 2 of 3 (only getting 55mb/sec) But i am using an old I7-950  with 24gb (from 2011) so this might be my issue.  I need to upgrade the equipment soon.

14 TB - Parity

14 TB - Drive 1

14 TB - Drive 2

14 TB - Drive 3

10 TB - Drive 4

10 TB - Drive 5

1 TB - Cache

I have 1 6 Port SATA 6 Card, is that the bottle neck?  My MB is an old ASUS Sabertooth x58 and only has 6 SATA ports (2 are SATA-6 but the rest are SATA-3)  -  I have the 2 10 TB's on those 2 ports.  The card I am using is from Amazon: Rivo PCIe SATA Card, 6 Port  - It was only 65.00 card.   But I tried another one before this and it wouldn't even see  all my drives.

I want to get a AMD 5700 with a nice size case (Currently using Cooler Master HAF912 Plus) remember this PC is from 2011 :)

The main issue was getting the bigger drives which i got this week thanks to BB sale. (259.00) each (shucked)

Update: Once it passed the 10 TB size, the speed shot up from 55 to 110mb/sec - I don't quite understand why but now there is only 6 hours to go instead of 12+ hours.

Edited by GeorgeJetson20
  • 9 months later...