Many external drives on clearance at walmart (in store) $54 3tb, $30 1tb,$35 1tb

Saw these deals posted on slickdeals.net in a few posts, just combined it.

Most of the clearances appear to nationwide for the drives.  Some of the prices may be lower or higher, ymmv.

WD My Book 3TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive, $54    Item ID# 29016526

1TB WD Passport not sure of id #  $35

Toshiba canvio 3gb for $54

WD Mycloud 2TB for $69  id # 30579531

Toshiba 1TB Canvio Connect II Portable External Hard Drive$30  item id # 44439325

Seagate 3TB Expansion HDD 3.0 - $40 id #46631802

You can use http://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker to see if its in stock near you and the price. The prices in store on the shelves were showing the old pries, ended up scanning each one to price check them just in case. I was able to get 2 3tb for $54. Now to run preclear on them and see if they are keepers.

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere that every external seegate drive actually contained a little tin of Canned Unicorn Meat; which as everyone knows, is a "Great Source of Sparkles"!

Digged through my bookmarks and this was what I read. The OP even edited his posts to add more information long after I have seen it.

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to find the original "somewhere" which says anything about Canned Unicorn Meat.  ;)

I read somewhere that Seagate purposely cripples the drives included in external drives to prevent people from disassembling them.

I honestly forget which drive vendor, but I had a customer bring in a failed external drive and wanted me to try to get the data. When I disassembled it, I was expecting a SATA connection, but found the USB3 connection was part of the drive controller circuit board. So much for quick and easy drive recovery.

I read somewhere that Seagate purposely cripples the drives included in external drives to prevent people from disassembling them.

I honestly forget which drive vendor, but I had a customer bring in a failed external drive and wanted me to try to get the data. When I disassembled it, I was expecting a SATA connection, but found the USB3 connection was part of the drive controller circuit board. So much for quick and easy drive recovery.

I've gotten a few external drives over the past few years, only encountered one drive that didn't have the regular sata connector.

Also some people over on fatwallet/slickdeals forums, have reposted the walmart clearances in the past week. The drives were more or less out of stock everywhere, in a few days after I initially posted. Seems like some places still had a few, prices dropped a bit more as well.