Why there isn't an official OS X Template

Hello guys!

For another reason (trying to get the OSK key from my Mac) I found this website which says

Legal Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. Taking into account that OS X is now officially supported on commercial virtualization solutions such as VMWare Fusion and Parallels, and after a careful reading of Apple's OS X EULA (which states that "[...] you are granted a [...] license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-Branded computer at any one time"), it is my belief that it's OK to run Mac OS X as a QEMU guest, provided the host hardware is a genuine, Apple-manufactured Mac computer, running an arbitrary (e.g. Linux) host OS. This happens to be how I'm using it, but YMMV.

I thought that this might be only referring to OS X VMWare's app, but creating an OS X VM is also supported on ESXI 6

So, shouldn't unRAID have official support for an OS X template then? Other huge companies are doing it which leads me to think that they find out if it was legal with an army of lawyers. I could be running unNRAID on genuine Apple hardware so having support for adding a OS X VM seems to not violate any laws.

B/c it's against Apple's EULA for Mac OS X.  It's a tiny bit different depending on what version, but essentially you're not supposed to run the OS (host or guest) unless you're on Apple hardware.  Newer versions of the OS opened things up a bit by allowing virtualization on a non-Server, but kept the hardware restriction in place.

---

P.S.: I don't presume to speak for L.T.; I should have prefaced the above with: "I assume it's..."

B/c it's against Apple's EULA for Mac OS X.  It's a tiny bit different depending on what version, but essentially you're not supposed to run the OS (host or guest) unless you're on Apple hardware.  Newer versions of the OS opened things up a bit by allowing virtualization on a non-Server, but kept the hardware restriction in place.

---

P.S.: I don't presume to speak for L.T.; I should have prefaced the above with: "I assume it's..."

Unraid can run on Apple hardware can it not?

---

Unraid can run on Apple hardware can it not?

Don't think that Apple would care if you run Windows on their hardware.  After all, you've already bought and paid for the OS and the hardware.
  • 3 weeks later...

Um surely by proving a template unraid would not be violating any apple eula. This is so long as they dont provide the osk key in the template.

They are not distributing the osx operating sytem anymore than sites like tonymacx86.com who have been going for years.

I dont run my osx vm on Apple hardware but I have bought osx multiple times. I have 3 broken apple laptops, 2 working ones and an old sunflower imac so I have given apple enough $ for osx!!