New to Unraid, general questions and understanding of connections and security

Unlime

Hello.

I am a fresh user of Unraid, and i am trying to understand it all.

I have a couple of questions i hope to get a answer on.

I installed plex server, and tryied to get plex on my linux htpc, but i didnt manage to do so( also fresh on linux).

So i installed Kodi on windows 10 just to test it.

With UNpN i am able to find my plexserver, add this and i find my files and play this through kodi.

So to my questions:

Will the plexserver to the transcoding without me doing anything else ? With google i am to understand that i hafto to a bit more to get these two to communicate, but i havent done anything more then just installing it and added plexserver in kodi as mediaholder.

My folders on my unraid server are set to PRIVATE, how can kodi just enter these without any password.

My user on unraid is given read/write permissions.

With other words, everybody can get to my files.

If i didnt have my plexserver installed on the server, how do i find the files on the server trough kodi ?

Thanks for any answer

My folders on my unraid server are set to PRIVATE, how can kodi just enter these without any password.

I don't run kodi like that (didn't realize that you could set Plex as a media source), but how it would work is that Plex has the rights to access the files.  It then streams it to Kodi which then won't require any access rights, since Plex already has it

If i didnt have my plexserver installed on the server, how do i find the files on the server trough kodi ?

You give Kodi the login credential (username/password) to the unRaid shares when you add the media sources.

I don't run kodi like that (didn't realize that you could set Plex as a media source), but how it would work is that Plex has the rights to access the files.  It then streams it to Kodi which then won't require any access rights, since Plex already has it

You give Kodi the login credential (username/password) to the unRaid shares when you add the media sources.

With unpn or smb or what ?

Thanks for the reply btw

Edit : Moved the quote since it was wrong :

I didnt know either, and my understanding was that i could not run plex and kodi like that, without doing some other tweeks. That was why i was asking about the transcoding.

I understand that IF i had logged in or something in Kodi ,that  then  i didnt have to type in any passwords but i havent logged in at all.

That means that anyone who is logged on to my wifi could have acess to my files.

Is that correct ?

Arent i supposed to have to logg on or something ?

I only use SMB with Kodi...  Don't even see the point in running Plex if you're streaming within the same network unless its to a phone.

i was thinking to use kodi on my chromecast to.

I will do some more testing.

Archived