Securing Root Login via SSH

gundamguy

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but have put it off way to long.

Currently I don't have a password or pre-shared key for logging into my unRAID tower over ssh. (I'm also not sure that Telnet is disabled...)

I'm not forwarding any ports expect for the port for Plex.

At one point I did change the root password for unRAID under the user menu, but I got frustrated by having to log into the webgui all the time. It's just me and my wife on my home network so I don't really feel like I need to lock the webgui down.

Is there someway to disable Telnet and require a password (or pre-shared key or something else) with SSH without requiring logging into the unRAID webgui?

Also I usually use Putty on Windows, is there a way to use pre-shared keys with Putty?

FYI, while not the best security practice, you can add username and password to your webgui shortcut so that you don't have to enter it every time. As you said, no one else in the house to protect from, and chance are if someone has snagged your shortcut they have owned your computer and the game is already lost. This way you can use a very strong password and not worry so much about someone getting past your router to unraid's SSH (which itself means you've already lost the game).

there is of course any number of very good password managers that could help you too. I'm a huge fan of keypass because it is opensource and NOT a cloud solution; but it does offer a way to put your passwords on your mobile device or other computers if need be; keeping them in sync without the cloud is of course a problem left for the user.

Archived