Newb needs help with cache disk, mover, share setup

The Lizard King

Without really knowing the specifics, if you originally had SickRage's /config pointed to /mnt/user/appdata/... and have now switched it to /mnt/cache/appdata (as it should be), then that is a possibility for the errors.

With weird errors like that, your best solution is to remove the container and image AND the appdata folder for the container and then start it all over again (if you uninstall the app via CA, it will prompt you to delete the appdata, as you might not be able to unless you do it manually via commands due to permission issues)

FYI, Linuxserver.io and Binhex are the recommended SickRage Dockers right now (unless you want Sickbeard too).  I still use the old Needo docker - it works fine but it isn't updated much.

And yes, copying data to a disk share will bypass the high water mark allocation methods - those are associated with user shares, not disk shares.  Also, one of the main reasons to put dockers and their config data on the cache SSD is to allow your HDs to spin down when not in use.  Dockers tend to be constantly active.  The HDs will spin up automatically when SickRage post processing copies a file to the user share or when mover runs.

Without really knowing the specifics, if you originally had SickRage's /config pointed to /mnt/user/appdata/... and have now switched it to /mnt/cache/appdata (as it should be), then that is a possibility for the errors.

With weird errors like that, your best solution is to remove the container and image AND the appdata folder for the container and then start it all over again (if you uninstall the app via CA, it will prompt you to delete the appdata, as you might not be able to unless you do it manually via commands due to permission issues)

Right on the money, I realized this after I had a good nights sleep and did a face palm. I figured this out by reverting to the previous settings and seeing it work. I did not know however the appdata folder should be deleted as well. At this point I've spend so much time learning, reading, repairing and redoing this VM and Docker it's time to start from scratch. I'll be starting over and deleting everything I've acquired just to get a clean setup, armed with a lot more knowledge. Thanks for the help.

FYI, Linuxserver.io and Binhex are the recommended SickRage Dockers right now (unless you want Sickbeard too).  I still use the old Needo docker - it works fine but it isn't updated much.

And yes, copying data to a disk share will bypass the high water mark allocation methods - those are associated with user shares, not disk shares.  Also, one of the main reasons to put dockers and their config data on the cache SSD is to allow your HDs to spin down when not in use.  Dockers tend to be constantly active.  The HDs will spin up automatically when SickRage post processing copies a file to the user share or when mover runs.

I picked the most popular containers and basically had all Linuxserver.io stuff. Thanks for straightening out these ragged loose ends. I'm not particularly a great student, especially on something I've never touched before (unRAID, Linux, etc.) I appreciate you following this thread and helping me out.

This is why I'm staying with unRAID, I'm not even close to the trial expiration and I'm set on purchasing a key - the community is one of the richest and most responsive I've ever experienced. Thanks for all your help.

Archived