Mini Build Upgrade (Case/Hardware/Both)

Sean M.

Hello! Thank you for checking out my hardware inquiry.

Baseline -> My build has outgrown the 'mini' status due to both data size as well as heat generation.  Do I upgrade the case w/ some fans (don't want it to be to loud) or some hardware or both?  All recommendations are appreciated!

Server Build:

Case – Fractal Design Node 304 Steel Mini-ITX Tower

CPU – Intel Xeon E3 (3.4GHz)

RAM – Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 ECC Unbuffered

Power – SeaSonic G Series 80 Plus Gold

Motherboard – ASRock E3C226S2l Mini ITX Server Motherboard

Harddrives -

Cache/Apps - Crucial M500 120GB SSD

Parity - Toshiba X300 5GB 7200RPM

Data – Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB

Data – Seagate ST3000DM001 3TB

Data – Seagate ST33000651AS 3TB

Dockers - cAdvisor, CouchPotato, NZBGet, PlexMediaServer, PlexPy, Sonarr

Desktop Build:

Case – Cooler Master RC-692-KKN2 Steel ATX Mid Tower

CPU – Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core (3.3GHz)

Motherboard – MSI Z68A-GD55 LGA

Graphics – XFX Radeon HD 6950

RAM – Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Power – Corsair HX Series 80 Plus Gold

Harddrives -

Boot – Crucial M4 64G SSD

Data – Samsung Spinpoint ST1000DM005 1TB 7200RPM

I built the Desktop in 2011 (college) for gaming and such which I don't have any time to do anymore so it basically sits with minimal use on the weekend.  The server was built in 2014 for mainly plex usage but I've experiments with some VM's and such but nothing on that side has stuck as useful thus far.

I'm looking for options on required hardware upgrades (if necessary), but mainly a larger case in the instance where I need to put in more drives but also to keep the temperature down the case I have doesn't leave any room for fans (and I would love to add some low profile/quiet fans).

Appreciate any advice anyone can provide!

I had a setup very similar to your server build and was in the same situation as you, so I upgraded to a Supermicro X10SL7-F and the Node 804 case, which i wasn't happy with in regard to heat/noise levels, so i upgraded again to Fractal define R4 (still with the SM board) which i was very happy with until i couldn't resist any more and just had to jump on the dual E5-2670 wagon (still in the R4).

If you have room for it  the R4/R5 are very nice cases for storage, and i can strongly recommend them  (i put mine vertically on a shelf), this leaves you room for 8x3.5 and 2x 2.5 SSD out of the box with the option to add a 3 x 3.5 drive bay. with the E3 Xeon and a tower cooler, temperatures was very respectable (both CPU and drive), while the noise level was decent.

With a Define R4 or R5 you would just have to consider a storage controller and maybe a drive bay for further drive expansions, as your PSU, RAM and motherboard from the server build is very nice for unraid IMO

Alternatively you could also get the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 rev b, which is very similar to the R4 but has a slightly higher 3.5 drive potential with the option for a 5x3 drive bay. it is harder to find outside Northern Europe as i understand it

I had a setup very similar to your server build and was in the same situation as you, so I upgraded to a Supermicro X10SL7-F and the Node 804 case, which i wasn't happy with in regard to heat/noise levels, so i upgraded again to Fractal define R4 (still with the SM board) which i was very happy with until i couldn't resist any more and just had to jump on the dual E5-2670 wagon (still in the R4).

Do you have the Intel S2600CP motherboard (SSI EBB) in an R4? I don't think a SSI EBB motherboard would fit in R5, because the motherboard is mounted lower than the rest, and then it will be blocked (search for Define R5 on google, and you will see).

Do you have the Intel S2600CP motherboard (SSI EBB) in an R4? I don't think a SSI EBB motherboard would fit in R5, because the motherboard is mounted lower than the rest, and then it will be blocked (search for Define R5 on google, and you will see).

You are correct. i went with an ASUS Z9PA-D8/iKVM, for more details see my post here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46077.msg474222#msg474222

You are correct. i went with an ASUS Z9PA-D8/iKVM, for more details see my post here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=46077.msg474222#msg474222

Nice build you got there :)

Wish I had a good reason to build that myself, haha

If you have room for it  the R4/R5 are very nice cases for storage, and i can strongly recommend them  (i put mine vertically on a shelf), this leaves you room for 8x3.5 and 2x 2.5 SSD out of the box with the option to add a 3 x 3.5 drive bay. with the E3 Xeon and a tower cooler, temperatures was very respectable (both CPU and drive), while the noise level was decent.

With a Define R4 or R5 you would just have to consider a storage controller and maybe a drive bay for further drive expansions, as your PSU, RAM and motherboard from the server build is very nice for unraid IMO

Alternatively you could also get the Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 rev b, which is very similar to the R4 but has a slightly higher 3.5 drive potential with the option for a 5x3 drive bay. it is harder to find outside Northern Europe as i understand it

Thanks for all the great insights! I'm going to check out the R4 (any particular reason you went with the R4 over the R5?) as well as the Nanoxia (found it available on amazon).

I was actually debating a new motherboard as with any more expansions to drives it would require usage of a PCI card to get more sata ports, seems that the Supermicro one you posted would resolve that issue at least in the interim.

Additionally, something that I have run into as a logically thinking about drive expansion is that the PSU I have only offers a limited number of sata power and would require picking up a few molex to sata connectors.  Potential thoughts on whether to just utilize what I currently have w/ the molex or upgrade to something different?

Some of these upgrades may be staggered :) but the case is priority #1 at the moment.

Thanks for all the great insights! I'm going to check out the R4 (any particular reason you went with the R4 over the R5?) as well as the Nanoxia (found it available on amazon).

I purely went with R4 since it was before the R5 was announced, if i had to choose today i would go with R5 for sure. since it has SSD trays on the back of the motherboard tray and a better potential for airflow on the built in harddisk trays

Additionally, something that I have run into as a logically thinking about drive expansion is that the PSU I have only offers a limited number of sata power and would require picking up a few molex to sata connectors.  Potential thoughts on whether to just utilize what I currently have w/ the molex or upgrade to something different?

Seing you have a modular PSU i would just aquire some cables with SATA power, i personally got a pair of 4x SATA power cables from this guy for my seasonic PSU and they have been working great and was fairly cheap (if you disregard the shipping)