Validation for new micro rig?

dertbv

Good morning Guys. 

I am looking to build a replacement for my system I have now and combine them into one box.  Currently have two boxes one running UnRaid and the other running ESXI.  Will be combining them into on unraid system that will house 20 plus dockers and 5 or 6 VM's at the same time.  Only 2 of the VM's will be putting any load on the system.  My current unraid is Supermicro x9scm with E31240 chip at 16 GB of ram.  It has been working flawlessly and running all of my dockers I have in place.  Added a few vm's and it still is churning along.  It is mounted in a Norico 20bay box and I just want to downsize.  Hell guys I have a half rack sitting in my dining room and the new girlfriend is not happy.  10 drives on the new config should be plenty..

Your Thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4 2.2GHz 10-Core Processor  ($649.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($61.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRM-TF Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Memory: Crucial 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($343.47 @ Adorama)

Case: Fractal Design Node 804 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($106.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply  ($124.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1287.43

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-26 07:51 EDT-0400

Not an answer to your question but I am in the same boat but I only use my servers as media storage. Also thinking about switching from my rack set up. I have (6) SM 826 and (3) backup SM 846 chassis. Also thinking about the Node case. Drives have become so large these days that it makes my rack set up damn near obsolete. I could do the same as your suggesting and sell off all my equipment, get 8TB or 10TB or whatever comes next and downsize considerably. My rack set up was cool when building it out but now is just a noisy power hungry monster!

When you can stuff 100TB + into a mid tower these days, going with a rack set up is extremely hard to justify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk