A little help and advice / suggestions for working with unRaid and WHS addon.

Hello All.

I have been working on an Add-On for Windows Home Server (WHS) to Automate and work with an unRaid server where the unRaid Server provides backup capabilities for WHS.

I think this add-on could bring many users to the unRaid community if done properly, so far it works well, but I could use a little aid to make it better...

I have 99% of the program working perfectly and have started on the help file for the Add-On.

There are sections of the help file I could use a little help writing and a few things that would be great if I could get an unRaid developer to help me with.

An Overview of my WHS Add-On:

Presents configuration, stats and info in 1 interface via the WHS add-on.

Via Scheduled Task (schedule in the WHS add-on):

It powers on the unRaid server via wake on Lan.

Runs MS SyncToy as configured in the add-on.

Creates a snapshot of current unRaid Server status.

Writes a log file.

Powers off the unRaid Server - via internal telnet code.

Writes the backup info into WHS so that the backup shows in the WHS backups screen.

Where I could use a little aid:

I cannot pull the information for unRaid for stats if the Server has a password on it because I am parsing the unRaid Home Page which presents a logon windows when a password is set, if there is a way around this then I would certainly like to know it, I know there are ways in windows to get ahold of a process and populate things, but this seems like alot of overhead in the add-on that I would rather not do. Currently I very simply I create a browser instance, make sure the page has loaded, parse the contents and then kill the browser instance... save or display the information.

If there was a way some one could write the scripts needed to just get the info in a parseable manner I could read in, that would make it easier, but then there still is the password issue.. also in the same package if commands for spin down etc could be made in an easily callable way would be excellent.

Secondly if someone could offer to help a little with the documentation for setting up unRaid explaining installation in a simple manner which would be friendly to users who would be using Windows Home Server (some WHS users are very advanced, many are novices which is what WHS targets).

Here are some screen shots of the add-in...

initial screen (wizard)

au0.jpg

Main Settings Screen

au1.jpg

Log Viewer

au2.jpg

Server Info

au3.jpg

Also the shutdown script I am using came from these forums, the package contained powerdown and int-power, I would like to distribute these with the package (currently it is setup this way) and the package automatically copies the files to the flash drive (if it can find it) and enters the required info in the go file, so I plan on keeping it that way unless there is a protest here or someone can write the scipts or whatever I mention above that could provide that functionality without using the script or a telnet instance which I am creating in code now to log into unraid can run powerdown...

Ideally because of the target auduience as much as possible should be included in the add-on and made as easy as possible.

The add-on is freeware...

Several WHS sites have expressed interest in the Add-on and would like to do write ups once it is complete. I have several beta testers already with varying degree's of technical know how who want to run the add-on.

Any suggestions, offer of help etc greatly appreciated...

thanks

Looks great!  I recently put a WHS on my network to take care of backups, documents and whatnot (pretty much everything NOT video) and would really like to see this take off.

Well I am going to finish it pretty soon, I don't use unRaid as a media server simply becuase WHS is already there and does it very well, especially with Windows 7 which all of my clients now have and unRaid does not offer those features that integrate with Media Center and other add-ons like mymovies which WHS does. Performance on WHS is better this way to because I can turn off file duplication.

unRaid is in my opinion at this time the best backup option for home server at least for those of us with large media collections or large amounts of data to keep safe.

pm me if you want to be notified when it is released for beta 1.

unRaid is in my opinion at this time the best backup option for home server at least for those of us with large media collections or large amounts of data to keep safe.

I do use WHS and unRAID, where I store all my media on unRAID but let WHS do the backups.  I don't understand the idea of storing media on WHS (without duplication) and backing it up on unRAID.  What advantage does that have over turning on duplication in WHS?  Seems like either way you are duplicating data on two drives, and actually unRAID would be worse because you are duplicating on two drives (WHS and unRAID, plus the unRAID parity), plus the cost of an unRAID machine.

What are the benefits?

Brett

I do use WHS and unRAID, where I store all my media on unRAID but let WHS do the backups.  I don't understand the idea of storing media on WHS (without duplication) and backing it up on unRAID.  What advantage does that have over turning on duplication in WHS?  Seems like either way you are duplicating data on two drives, and actually unRAID would be worse because you are duplicating on two drives (WHS and unRAID, plus the unRAID parity), plus the cost of an unRAID machine.

What are the benefits?

Brett

Backing up to an external source is the way to do it, redundant backup... file duplication does not do you any good if more than 1 drive fails or something else bad happens on the WHS, there are other methods to backup WHS, however none are as expandable as unRaid.

As far as media is concerned, WHS has moved a ton toward being a great Media Server to compliment it's client back-up, you should check out the web guide add-on and with PP3, it has real nice integration with windows 7 Media Center which is what I am using as a front end on all clients.

File duplication also comes with overhead, thus performance reduction as every file operation needs to be duplicated. I leave file duplication turned off because I have duplicates on the unRaid server in case of WHS failure.

As far as hardware, many people have older machines which can run unRaid or WHS for that matter, drive space is drive space so it does not really get affected, if you have 4ish TB of data what difference does it make if you have 4x 2TB drives in WHS + the System Drive with File Duplication on or 2x 2TB in WHS w/o File Duplication + System Drive and 2x 2TB in unRaid + Parity drive? The difference, redundant back up, better WHS performance and in my case my unRaid server lives in my Garage, my WHS lives in Basement which means my house could burn down or my garage and I would still have all my data...

Everyone has their own preferences, I have to many photo's, music files, movies, videos, code libraries and other documents to risk losing...

and in my case my unRaid server lives in my Garage, my WHS lives in Basement which means my house could burn down or my garage and I would still have all my data...

That's the part that has this make sense to me.  I apologize, I wasn't trying to be harsh. 

To me, the 80% solution is redundant storage, the 100% solution is redundant storage + offsite storage.  That's for the home user.  Certainly the are lots more solutions for enterprise.  Until you added offsite, I didn't see the benefit.  In my case, I've got WHS and unRAID sitting in a closet next to each other, so there isn't really a benefit in my case.

And while there may be lot's of benefits of storing media on WHS, those benefits are true whether you choose to use WHS duplication or unRAID backup, don't you agree?

You also lose what is, in my opinion, the primary benefit of unRAID - redundancy at much less than 1 for 1 replication (that is, one parity drive provide replication for up to 20 other drives).  In this case, a file will be stored 1 for 1, on WHS and unRAID.

Brett

and in my case my unRaid server lives in my Garage, my WHS lives in Basement which means my house could burn down or my garage and I would still have all my data...

That's the part that has this make sense to me.  I apologize, I wasn't trying to be harsh. 

To me, the 80% solution is redundant storage, the 100% solution is redundant storage + offsite storage.  That's for the home user.  Certainly the are lots more solutions for enterprise.  Until you added offsite, I didn't see the benefit.  In my case, I've got WHS and unRAID sitting in a closet next to each other, so there isn't really a benefit in my case.

And while there may be lot's of benefits of storing media on WHS, those benefits are true whether you choose to use WHS duplication or unRAID backup, don't you agree?

You also lose what is, in my opinion, the primary benefit of unRAID - redundancy at much less than 1 for 1 replication (that is, one parity drive provide replication for up to 20 other drives).  In this case, a file will be stored 1 for 1, on WHS and unRAID.

Brett

No apologies required, I did not take anything as harsh. It always boils down to what one prefers and what one is comfortable with.

I guess I partially agree with your benefits statement, either can store media and offer a degree of protection. In the WHS case I noticed a marked improvement when I turned file duplication off once I had a full backup done to unRaid. Perhaps faster machines than mine would make less a difference, but my WHS box has a Phenom 9600 in it with 4GB Ram and 8 1.5TB Barracuda's in it so I doubt it is hardware... but in my case it is noticably better, then again I also have the full 10 clients attached so perhaps if I only had 2 or 3 maybe I would not notice a difference? Also the server especially at night is usually streaming movies or music to at least 3 clients, many times 4 or 5... (I have 3 teens at home).

To your other point... since I am using unRaid I do not see how I am loosing any benefit unRaid offers, I just don't use it as a Media Server.

Like I said in my last post, to each their own, I have lost more than 1 drive in a system before that cost me, I have also many times had data get corrupted for ?? reason especially on Windows boxes and duplication will duplicate corrupted data, in fact WHS has a data corruption bug in it until a patch came out and many people lost data, look in the unRaid forums and you see cases of peple loosing data for who knowsw what reason. I am not comfortable with that. I explain this in the help file I am writing. I started backing up my WHS to a drobo, but ran up against the 4 drive limit, I had to rebuild my WHS once already ( thankfully I had it backed up) and unRaid is perfect, not always unraids fault, could be a faulty PS, a stick of ram goes bad what ever... bottom line if I did not use unRaid to back up WHS, I would use another product even if they sat side by side as they did when I had my drobo backing up WHS... guess working in IT all these years and noting redundant backup being the only safe option touted by just about every one I have ever worked with made me partial to the 2 copy approach...

I am not comfortable trusting years of memories to a single solution until it can be proven perfect, if you are willing to do so then that is your choice.

;D

A Great Idea ...I look forward to trying it out..

I also run a WHS, and having the ability to backup to unraid would be a very valuable addon.

I presume you will be able to backup all WHS drives including the system drive.

Joe

look up microsoft synctoy, anything that can do this can do because it uses that as a backup engine.

Looking forward to this.

I recently added a WHS to my setup for backups and the central recorded tv store for our 3 media centres. I've also moved my music library to the whs as it also is the squuezebox slimserver but have this backing up via synctoy to my unraid. It will be nice to manage this from the server console.

I have released this into beta so I can get some additional feedback.

Please realize this is beta, it works perfectly on my systems but I have only tested this on 2 systems (1 my actual WHS and unRaid) and WHS virtual and unRaid Test, so I anticipate some bugs to pop up.

Bugs can only be fixed if I am told of them. Features request's will be considered but keep in mind I am not a linux programmer and so far no one here has offered aid with my request, so additional features which require changes or additions in unRaid itself will not be implemented unless someone who can code the linux end so that I can make calls to it from .Net steps forward to do so.

Also as a beta release I do not want anyone reviewing this software, it just makes things and myself look bad when sites review software prematurely.

Most likely no changes will be made until after the new year, so please document and bugs and or requests and send them once you have a few.

This installs just like any other WHS Add-On, just copy the MSI in the .rar file to your addons folder.

A help file is also included and feel free to inform me of improvements that can be make there as well, just click help at the main screen in the WHS console.

This software is available to use at YOUR OWN RISK. Although I see nothing that could really harm anything, being free software I take no resposibility for it's use.

Do NOT click the install shutdown script in the first run screen during initial setup if you have installed the powerdown script on these forums (the one that contains powerdown and init-powerdown and the entry in the go file because it will modify the go file agian appending the entry if it can...

I am adding a check for the files and go entry, but have not done this yet, if you have no powerdown script installed, by all means runs this because it is required for powerdown to work properly.

There is an email link on the settings page to contact me.

here is the link.

http://www.newsgeek.com/au/autounraidwhs.rar

Enjoy,

Happy Holidays.

Tom

Bugs can only be fixed if I am told of them. Features request's will be considered but keep in mind I am not a linux programmer and so far no one here has offered aid with my request, so additional features which require changes or additions in unRaid itself will not be implemented unless someone who can code the linux end so that I can make calls to it from .Net steps forward to do so.

It is not that we do not want to help, but there is NO way to do what you are requesting without a process listening on some port on the unRAID server.  There is no such process.

You can create one, but version 5.0 of unRAID is going to be a complete revision of the user-interface and creation of an API to the unRAID management interface.    Anything you do right now will need to be re-done.

The best you can do is leverage the work already done and either create a process listening on a port on unRAID, or be patient.

Something similar to what you are trying to do was done here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Add_Ons#FEMUR

Joe L.

It is not that we do not want to help, but there is NO way to do what you are requesting without a process listening on some port on the unRAID server.  There is no such process.

You can create one, but version 5.0 of unRAID is going to be a complete revision of the user-interface and creation of an API to the unRAID management interface.     Anything you do right now will need to be re-done.

The best you can do is leverage the work already done and either create a process listening on a port on unRAID, or be patient.

Something similar to what you are trying to do was done here: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Add_Ons#FEMUR

Joe L.

Joe,

Anything displayed on a web page I could get at, for example, if someone added CPU usage or memory usage or whatever to the bottom of the main unraid page or created a different web page to display whatever info I could display it,  I don't really think that is needed but if it was requested all's I was saying is that my answer would be no becasue I do not know how to code for linux. I was simply stating that request for features requiring coding on unRaid will not be done because I do not know how to code for linux and I do not have time to learn it. As far a version 5, if unRaid outputs html which I am sure it will or enough people use the add on as it stands, then maybe Lime can leave the current main page there for backward compatibility, if they don't I will either address reparsing the new page then or just not upgrade, it really depends on how many people use it and if there is anything in 5 that I feel I cannot live without. No knock to the community, but I really do not want to go digging through the Wiki forcing me to learn linux code. I wrote something useful for myself and I thought it might be useful to others and decided to share it in hopes this might bring more users over to unRaid, in fact the only people who really stand to benefit is Lime because they might sell more copies of unRaid as well as get exposure if I decide to allow sites like WGS, HomeServerLand etc do a review. Possibly the community if it gains members, if noone wants to use my add-on, I am ok with that as well.

Tom

You can create one, but version 5.0 of unRAID is going to be a complete revision of the user-interface and creation of an API to the unRAID management interface.     Anything you do right now will need to be re-done.

Joe L.

Joe,

Anything displayed on a web page I could get at, for example, if someone added CPU usage or memory usage or whatever to the bottom of the main unraid page or created a different web page to display whatever info I could display it,  I don't really think that is needed but if it was requested my answer would be no becasue I do not know how to code for linux. I was simply stating that request for features requiring coding on unRaid will not be done because I do not know how to code for linux and I do not have time to learn it. As far a version 5, if unRaid outputs html which I am sure it will or enough people use the add on as it stands, then maybe Lime can leave the current main page there for backward compatibility, if they don't I will either address reparsing the new page then or just not upgrade, it really depends on how many people use it and if there is anything in 5 that I feel I cannot live without. No knock to the community, but I really do not want to go digging through the Wiki forcing me to learn linux code. I wrote something useful for myself and I thought it might be useful to others and decided to share it in hopes this might bring more users over to unRaid.

Tom

I understand your feeling the way you do, and your work looks fantastic, but it will quickly go out of date as the entire user-interface will change.  Now, it is completely up to tom if the current HTML on the main page will remain the same, but I'd not bet my life on it.  In fact, it we as a development community have anything to do with it, it WILL change and evolve constantly.  Trying to "screen-scrape" is simply the wrong way to approach your needs.  You need to identify the specific "values" you wish to capture and put a service into place on unRAID to provide those values, without HTML formatting, and in an easy to parse format for your WHS program. 

We are eagerly anticipating something in a preliminary 5.0beta soon.  Tom said in another post we might get a "Christmas" present....

If he switches to using a true extensible web-server (lighttpd perhaps) then a page can be written to supply the values you need for your program's display.

Joe L.

Joe,

Anything displayed on a web page I could get at, for example, if someone added CPU usage or memory usage or whatever to the bottom of the main unraid page or created a different web page to display whatever info I could display it,  I don't really think that is needed but if it was requested my answer would be no becasue I do not know how to code for linux. I was simply stating that request for features requiring coding on unRaid will not be done because I do not know how to code for linux and I do not have time to learn it. As far a version 5, if unRaid outputs html which I am sure it will or enough people use the add on as it stands, then maybe Lime can leave the current main page there for backward compatibility, if they don't I will either address reparsing the new page then or just not upgrade, it really depends on how many people use it and if there is anything in 5 that I feel I cannot live without. No knock to the community, but I really do not want to go digging through the Wiki forcing me to learn linux code. I wrote something useful for myself and I thought it might be useful to others and decided to share it in hopes this might bring more users over to unRaid.

Tom

I understand your feeling the way you do, and your work looks fantastic, but it will quickly go out of date as the entire user-interface will change.  Now, it is completely up to tom if the current HTML on the main page will remain the same, but I'd not bet my life on it.  In fact, it we as a development community have anything to do with it, it WILL change and evolve constantly.  Trying to "screen-scrape" is simply the wrong way to approach your needs.  You need to identify the specific "values" you wish to capture and put a service into place on unRAID to provide those values, without HTML formatting, and in an easy to parse format for your WHS program. 

We are eagerly anticipating something in a preliminary 5.0beta soon.  Tom said in another post we might get a "Christmas" present....

If he switches to using a true extensible web-server (lighttpd perhaps) then a page can be written to supply the values you need for your program's display.

Sounds good. The needs of what I wrote, a page is not really that bad because the usage scenario is boot unraid, backup... (take a snap shot of the main page to get data - <this is the parser, save>)... powerdown unraid.

so adding services would be alot of work when the scenario my app uses unRaid in is mainly backup and not full time server. I am sure I will get requests for more, like I did before I even posted here, I had a guy ask if I could have the addon display real time info... I said sure all's I have to do is call my code already parsing unraid's info and not save it to xml, just run it through the parser... so I added realtime monitor, but noone will probably use this once they get everything running becuase it is meant to be set it and forget it. This really started because I wrote a manual program to start / stop and get some info on my unRaid box before I decided to make an all in 1 interface for WHS. I wrote a little tray app (unraidTray) that let me through right click on tray icon  - start up and shut down unRaid and get a quick view of status...

unraidtray.jpg

Anyways, if you get Lime (Toms?) ear maybe you could see if it would not be to much to ask to leave the old main page in and in it's current format so anyone who adopts this add-on could upgrade without breaking their stats... everything else (the meat of the addon will still work as long as the shutdown scripts work).

Have not heard to much about beta 5... it was brought up a loooong time ago when I purchased unRaid, but have not been looking into it since then.

Also, do you know who wrote the shutdown script posted on the forums? I cannot identity who the author is it is the script that you copy powerdown and init-powerdown to the root of the flashdrive and add a line to the go file, do you know who that would be? I would like to give them credit in the help file and about page.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

This WHS add-on looks very interesting! Well done! In my usage, which is unRAID for DVD rips, music backups, and photo backups, and then WHS for running SageTV and short term TV recordings storage, the 'live' music share, the 'live' photo share, and of course PC client backups.

Can this system backup the WHS "system" drive as well? Can it be scripted to leave unRAID on all the time, yet still backup the music and photo shares on a scheduled basis?

Thanks for any info!

-PGPfan

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, got mine running and it seems to be working but I don't get any info about my UnRaid server.  The pie chart is blank and the third tab is completely blank.  Otherwise, I think the backups are running.  I have scheduled them to run this week so I will see.

Hi talex. Looks like a fantastic little the 'unraidTray'. Can you post a link to allow members to download it? Is their any trick to it, instructions on getting it to monitor a unraid server, requirements, additional addons you need to install to get this working, etc... I'm keen to have this running to check the status on my server. Looks great, hope to hear from you soon.

Joe L.

Joe,

Tom

Sounds good. The needs of what I wrote, a page is not really that bad because the usage scenario is boot unraid, backup... (take a snap shot of the main page to get data - <this is the parser, save>)... powerdown unraid.

so adding services would be alot of work when the scenario my app uses unRaid in is mainly backup and not full time server. I am sure I will get requests for more, like I did before I even posted here, I had a guy ask if I could have the addon display real time info... I said sure all's I have to do is call my code already parsing unraid's info and not save it to xml, just run it through the parser... so I added realtime monitor, but noone will probably use this once they get everything running becuase it is meant to be set it and forget it. This really started because I wrote a manual program to start / stop and get some info on my unRaid box before I decided to make an all in 1 interface for WHS. I wrote a little tray app (unraidTray) that let me through right click on tray icon  - start up and shut down unRaid and get a quick view of status...

unraidtray.jpg

Anyways, if you get Lime (Toms?) ear maybe you could see if it would not be to much to ask to leave the old main page in and in it's current format so anyone who adopts this add-on could upgrade without breaking their stats... everything else (the meat of the addon will still work as long as the shutdown scripts work).

Have not heard to much about beta 5... it was brought up a loooong time ago when I purchased unRaid, but have not been looking into it since then.

Also, do you know who wrote the shutdown script posted on the forums? I cannot identity who the author is it is the script that you copy powerdown and init-powerdown to the root of the flashdrive and add a line to the go file, do you know who that would be? I would like to give them credit in the help file and about page.

Tom

Ok, I still can't get mine to post the UNRAID server results.  I get an error when I hit refresh.  I can browse to the unraid server without any issues from the WHS box.  Ideas?

I get an error that says: Arithmatic operation resulted in an overflow.

Also, I can run the tasks manually but they aren't running automatically.  I checked the task scheduler and all the tasks are there.  I would really like this to work since I have built my entire network around WHS & UNRAID......

Hi PCFIXR, can you tell me how you got the unraid Status application? I really would like to get my hands of it. Thanks.

Ok, I still can't get mine to post the UNRAID server results.  I get an error when I hit refresh.  I can browse to the unraid server without any issues from the WHS box.  Ideas?

I get an error that says: Arithmatic operation resulted in an overflow.

Also, I can run the tasks manually but they aren't running automatically.  I checked the task scheduler and all the tasks are there.  I would really like this to work since I have built my entire network around WHS & UNRAID......

Thanks PCFIXR. Though I tried to run it and it requires Windows Home Server. Is it possible to install it without WHS? My aim was to use it as a monitoring tool for Windows XP to 7 clients. Thanks.

Its in one of the posts on the first page of this thread.  Here is the link I found.

http://www.newsgeek.com/au/autounraidwhs.rar

I'm still working with Talex on trying to work out some kinks on my WHS server with using it.