Unrar - help

jimiAces

I have installed unrar-3.7.8-i486-1stc_slack12.1.tgz its all working great; however when using it earlier to unrar a large archive (around 7GB) i was automatically logged out of my telnet session due to inactivity leaving the file only partly uncompressed

It seems i have to press the return key every few of minutes to keep it alive. Is there anyway i can leave it unnatended?

If it is really a time-out:

Don't un-rar in the background.

Or

Install and use "screen" to have virtual screen sessions.

Or

Use the system console.

But... as far as I know, telnet does not log you out, ever, from inactivity.  I've had telnet sessions up for weeks.  I usually have two or three up in fact.

Right now I have 4 sessions open, three of them from Dec 13th when I last re-booted.

root@Tower:/boot/custom/bin# who

root    pts/0        Dec 13 09:34 (192.168.2.7)

root    pts/1        Dec 13 10:21 (192.168.2.7)

root    pts/2        Dec 13 20:51 (192.168.2.7)

root    pts/3        Dec 17 02:54 (192.168.2.7)

It is FAR more likely your telnet session was terminated as the kernel started to terminate idle processes to free up enough memory to un-rar your file.  (The processes idle the longest get terminated first.  Eventually, if you use up all RAM, SAMBA is terminated, or the telnet session terminated, or emhttp is terminated and you lose control of your server.

If the un-rar is occurring in memory (or in a temp file in the in-memory file system) you are simply running out of ram.

If that is the case, you can add a swap file on one of your disks.  That will be slower than using RAM, but at least you won't crash your server.

Joe L.

thanks for your help.

please forgive me, i'm only learning ;D

I'll use screen and see if that solves my problem, i did find it strange as i've left it open overnight running bwm-ng and midnight commander and it never logged me out.

on another note i'm currently using windows hyper terminal, would something like PuTTY be more useful?

thanks for your help.

please forgive me, i'm only learning ;D

I'll use screen and see if that solves my problem, i did find it strange as i've left it open overnight running bwm-ng and midnight commander and it never logged me out.

You'll probably need to add a swap space... but give "screen" a try.

on another note i'm currently using windows hyper terminal, would something like PuTTY be more useful?

Yes, it will.  putty even lets you use the mouse with "mc"

Joe L.

Archived