SSD RDM mapping not picking up device id , UUID. Unable to assign cache disk

I had this working before and don't know what happened.

I decided to do a little experimenting with my Raw Device passthrough disk cache drive on my backup unRAID virtual machine first.  The cache was directly attached to the VM at one point and I moved it off a SAS card attached to the VM and attached it to the motherboard to free up a SAS I/O card connection for a data drive.  I RDM mapped it and all was well.  I loose temp sensors and such this way but for a SSD cache disk, I was good with that.

Then I thought about making that cache disk a VMware data store disk instead and pass a traditional vmdk disk as my caching disk just to see if it can be done.  There was alot of wasted space on the disk the way I was using it that made this option attractive.  I rsynced my RDM cache disk into the raid array and removed it. When assigning a typical vmdk, it failed to show up by disk-id and when assigning a device as a cache disk, unraid GUI just showed sda and the disk size with no other identifying characteristics.  Assigning the cache disk wouldn't stick and the web page constantly showed the cache drive as unassigned after just assigning the disk.

Hmmmm not desirable I say, so I back it all out.  Removed the SSD drive from vmware's storage pool and setup a RDM disk again and the same thing happened again and it was just working before....  I manually formatted, mounted and restored my cache disk data which got my dockers up however unRAID does not see it as a cache disk via the GUI.

See below, /dev/sda is there and mounted manually but with no identifiers.  Any ideas?  Is it possible to manually populate this data with a /proc file system hack?

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# ls -al /dev/disk/by-id | grep sda

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid | grep sda

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# cat /etc/mtab | grep sda

/dev/sda1 /mnt/cache btrfs rw 0 0

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# btrfs fi show /mnt/cache

Label: none  uuid: c3a77508-ff82-4fc5-a147-e0eb90812706

Total devices 1 FS bytes used 61.95GiB

devid    1 size 238.47GiB used 88.04GiB path /dev/sda1

btrfs-progs v4.1.2

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# fdisk -l /dev/sda

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 256.1 GB, 256060514304 bytes

168 heads, 63 sectors/track, 47252 cylinders, total 500118192 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id  System

/dev/sda1            2048  500118191  250058072  83  Linux

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev#

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# ls -al /dev/disk/by-id | grep sda

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# ls -al /dev/disk/by-uuid | grep sda

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# cat /etc/mtab | grep sda

/dev/sda1 /mnt/cache btrfs rw 0 0

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# btrfs fi show /mnt/cache

Label: none  uuid: c3a77508-ff82-4fc5-a147-e0eb90812706

Total devices 1 FS bytes used 61.95GiB

devid    1 size 238.47GiB used 88.04GiB path /dev/sda1

btrfs-progs v4.1.2

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# fdisk -l /dev/sda

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 256.1 GB, 256060514304 bytes

168 heads, 63 sectors/track, 47252 cylinders, total 500118192 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id  System

/dev/sda1            2048  500118191  250058072  83  Linux

root@unRAIDbackup:/dev# hdparm -I /dev/sda

/dev/sda:

SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]:  70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 c0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ATA device, with non-removable media

Serial Number:      ???<@?????????

Standards:

Likely used: 1

Configuration:

Logical        max    current

cylinders      0      0

heads          0      0

sectors/track  510    0

--

Logical/Physical Sector size:          512 bytes

device size with M = 1024*1024:          0 MBytes

device size with M = 1000*1000:          0 MBytes

cache/buffer size  = unknown

Capabilities:

IORDY not likely

Cannot perform double-word IO

R/W multiple sector transfer: not supported

DMA: not supported

PIO: pio0

unraid.JPG.4c4399c274939448a83e7712f1238d6f.JPG

So I thought about what Linix was doing here and the device-id's are nothing more then symbolic links to the /dev/sda file.

the sda file is getting picked up every time as the cache drive is manually mountable this way.

I looked at how ESXi was listing the disk at it's Linux device level, looked at the naming format in unRAID and created my own sym links via the go file.

ln -s /dev/sda1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-LITEONIT_LCS2D256M6S_2.5_7mm_256GB_TW0XFJWX5508534T1145-part1

ln -s /dev/sda /dev/disk/by-id/ata-LITEONIT_LCS2D256M6S_2.5_7mm_256GB_TW0XFJWX5508534T1145

After doing this, unRAID picked up my manually populated disk ID's and I was able to assign the cache drive.

The drive is now being used as a cache and sharing the cache share properly with out having to manually mount it.

Dirty work around but it works. 

I may try my original idea of assigning vmdk disks sourced from different VMware store SSD drives and see if this is feasible.  I was going to create a cache pool this way.  I don't know if anyone else out there is setup this way via ESXi however shall see how it goes.

So I thought about what Linix was doing here and the device-id's are nothing more then symbolic links to the /dev/sda file.

the sda file is getting picked up every time as the cache drive is manually mountable this way.

/dev/sd? assignments are not static, and can change if there are hardware changes, or even if a drive happens to be slow to respond. The by-id is.

hmmm I rebooted a few times to see how /dev/sda was getting assigned, seems the RDM assigned cache drive gets assigned as /dev/sda everytime.  Since it's being passed through as a Raw device mapping, it seems to be seen first in the boot sequence before all my drives attached to the passed through I/O card does seance it has to load the I/O card driver little later in the boot sequence.  I'll have to keep this in mind.