Hp Smart Array Controlers E200i and P800

Hello Lime Tech Community,

I am brand new to unraid and about a month ago or so stumbled apon a Hp Proliant Dl360 G5 for $100. To me this seemed like the perfect opportunity to make a way over powered nas for alot less money than what I had anticipated. But I am having issues with the hp smart array controllers. I have looked through the forums trying to figure out if their is a way to get the controllers into jbod and their seems to be no way. But their did seem to be a way to get the controller to create single logical drives and then pass it through to unraid. But I have yet to figure out how to do this exactly though I have figured out how to create the single logical drives on the E200i controller currently in my system but i cant figure out the pass through. Does anyone have any ides on how to do this?

And one last question regarding if it would be a good idea to get this P800 and put it into my Dl360 G5 and rout 1 for now but possible two of the external sas connectors to an external hot swap hdd cage?

Link for P800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA67S34B0960

Thank you in advance.

Mark

This is not the card you are looking for. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00806102.pdf

You really want JBOD (you may be calling pass through), which HP Smart Array controllers do not support (including the P800). RAID0 is not JBOD, but LUNs made with a number of disk drives (1, or more drives), but managed by the controller.

cciss is the keyword for these controllers, http://cciss.sourceforge.net/

Gotcha; So this is not the card I want due to the incompatibility due to it not having JBOD. (when i meant pass through i mean i read on a forum which i cant seem to find that someone passed through the hard drive without SMART stuff)

Now regarding the CCISS driver I have been running around the inter webs trying to figure out exactly what I need to do to get it all to work and I just cant figure out exactly what I need to do. I have figure out what versions of the driver I need (I think) but I have no idea how to actually install the driver (new to linux as well). Also as of now I'm still just fooling around with the server no real data will be stored on it for a while until I figure this all out. So any ideas are welcome as long as they dont brick anything.

One  more question I have is weather or not a non hp raid controller would work with hp hardware. Like the back plane for the hot swap and stuff like that?(have a feeling it'll be fine but im just double checking)

Also any ideas on any raid controllers that has the same amount of connectivity and is comparable in price to the P800.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide me.

Mark