Vista BACKUP and UNRAID

yea i am not big into spending a bunch of time hacking windows into thinking the nas is a fixed disk just to get it to upload to mozy.  if it were a really simple hack then fine.  i am trying to keep my backup solution as simple as possible because its te sort of thing that i will set up and then just let it run for a while.  it may be months before i revisit it and when i do, if there is somethgin highly customized/hacked, then it will take me a while to figure out how i set it up.

for now i think i will just skip the offsite thing, and use acronis.

i will have acronis do a full image each week of each of my workstations to a drive on my unraid.  each weeks image image will overwrite the previous weeks image.

in adition i will have acrionis do a file backup of my critical files on unraid to another drive on unraid.  the trick with that is that i just have to be sure i have enough drive space avilable for my backups.  the workstatiosn images wont be a problem but i do kind of have a lot of files on unraid to backup so we'll have to see how that goes.

• 3 months later...

Good news, Guys...

After bumping this post again today I figured I would go ahead and upgrade from UnRaid 4.0 to 4.2.  Since the Vista backup was always hung up on the password, I enabled a password under the "USERS" page of UnRaid.  For the default "root" user, I applied a password.

Using Vista Ultimate x64 and running the backup utility again, I am now able to specify my UnRaid path with the new user (root) and password settings and it works flawlessly!

This is a very good thing, since I have been running (2) 150GB Raptors in RAID 0 and 1TB of Seagate Drives in RAID 0 since January without an updated backup!  I was reawakened to this issue when my buddy emailed me earlier this week to tell me his (non-striped) hard drive crashed and he lost all of his data.  It is easy (and dangerous) to become complacent about good backups after 10 years without a hard drive issue.

I have to say, however, that i am concerned about the MS Backup in Vista.  It "dumbs down" the backup process to the point where your only option is a series of checkboxes to backup these types of files "Pictures, Documents, Movies, TV Shows, etc, etc".  But doesn't allow you to explicitely backup all files in a particular path.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm not overly confident that this is going to backup all of my personal files.  What if I have an obscure file type that Microsoft doesn't recognize? 

• 1 year later...

I too am having the same problem.  Using \\TOWER\backup share as my target backup device, I tried to run Vista Backup utility and getting the following error:

The network share could not be accessed for the following reason:

Cannot create a file when that file already exists. (0x800700B7)

Please ensure that the network location is valid.

So it seems that the Samba incompatibillity problem is still there.

I have user level security enabled on my UnRAID.  I thought UnRAID v. 4.4.2 came with the proper SAMBA version.  I guess not?

Any help appreciated considering I purchased this mainly for backing up multiple desktops.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm. I'm running 4.5-beta3 and cannot get this to work. I enabled user security and created a user. I get the following error:

"The network share could not be accessed for the following reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists (0x800700B7). Please ensure that the network location is valid."

I'm tying to backup to \\tower\Backups

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong, or what I need to do to get this to work?