Double disc failure - now issues with Shares

Hi,

I've used the same setup since 2012 without issues expanding and adding discs as I've gone. I have 9 (mix of 3tb and 2tb) disc plus a cache and am running v6.1.9.

A week or so ago Unraid red balled one of my 3tb drives (disc 7). I order a new one, replaced it and began the process of rebuilding. As the process was ongoing I then started getting an ever increasing number of errors reporting on another of my 2tb data discs (disc 4). 

I allowed the build to complete at which point the system then red balled the 2tb (disc 4).

When browsing the Tower and looking in at any share which was spread across either of the failed discs it showed as being completely empty although when browsing directly to the discs which weren't faulty there was obviously still data on them.

I have since purchased a drive to replace disc 4, pre-cleared and and attempted to rebuild again.

This took ~24 hours and then on completion the system states that the parity is valid but that disc 4 is unmountable.

I am now able to see the content on the shares which spanned disc 4, minus anything that was actually stored on that disc obviously. Any shares that spanned disc 7 however still show as being empty. The unraid disc stats show that disc 7 is 15% of 3tb full but there is only 4Mb of data on there which comprised a couple of files in one directory which were on the disc before it failed.

I have managed to recover data from the red balled drives on machine running a bootable copy of Ubuntu.

I'm not sure what to do now to get disc 4 back up and running, should I just choose the option to format it?

Also what action should I take to get the data usage on disc 7 to appear correctly, the shares displaying the actual content on the drives and how should I approach getting the data I've recovered back into the shares?

I've attached what's in the syslog and would greatly appreciate any input. If I need to provide anymore information please let me know.

Thanks

James

syslog.txt

If you were getting errors on disk4 while rebuilding disk7 then it is highly likely that in fact disk7 was not rebuilt correctly as a rebuild relies on all other disks behaving perfectly.  Quite what the consequences would be when you then tried to rebuild disk4 I am not sure.

If you still have the two disks that were originally disabled, then it is highly likely that virtually all their data can in fact be recovered as a the red-cross in unRAID does not normally mean that the disk physically failed - just that a write to it failed.  Data written before that point is normally still intact.  Do you still have those disks available?

Yes, I still have the two failed drives.

It's odd as disc 7 (the one which was being rebuilt as 4 seemed to have failed), despite not having the data on it and being displayed as having more space used than is the case, was actually returned to the array. It's shown as being online and has a folder structure on it which reflects the names of the shares that should be on it.

Browsing to the root of a share which is spanned across that disc however shows nothing.

The new disc 4, despite going through the motion of a rebuild process and showing a huge number of writes and no errors, is still still showing as unmountable.

Yes, I still have the two failed drives.

It's odd as disc 7 (the one which was being rebuilt as 4 seemed to have failed), despite not having the data on it and being displayed as having more space used than is the case, was actually returned to the array. It's shown as being online and has a folder structure on it which reflects the names of the shares that should be on it.

Browsing to the root of a share which is spanned across that disc however shows nothing.

The new disc 4, despite going through the motion of a rebuild process and showing a huge number of writes and no errors, is still still showing as unmountable.

it is not at all unusable for a disk to show as unmountable if there has been any sort of write failure as it can lead to corruption at the file system level.  This is normally fixed by putting the array onto maintenance mode and running the appropriate recovery tool for the file system used on the disk.

Do you have any spare ports (or a USB/SATA adapter) to allow plugging the original drives in outside the array?  I would expect that to work and you can then copy data off them back to the array.

I have already managed to recover the data from the red balled disc onto and external drive on a machine with Ubuntu.

The drive which is now showing as unmountable is the brand new one which has just successfully been through 2 cycles of preclear and then an attempted rebuild...

Thanks Johnnie.

What was throwing me is that currently the shares aren't showing anything, if said share spans over disc 7.

I guess that must be down to the fact that something went wrong with the rebuild...

I'll just remove the drive from the share, reformat and re-add and see if that sorts it.