ControlR (Android/iOS app for unRAID)

• 2 weeks later...

RELEASE

Version 5.0.5 - 2021-08-06
- Fix percentage font size
- Add open action for dockers

This should re enable access to open docker from the main docker page.

The docker detail page ("coming soon"), will contain additional features not present in ControlR v4.x.x

It should be available for android later today and for ios probably tomorrow.

@jbrodriguez I have another problem with the Android version of the app starting with v5. I Tried 5.0.2, 5.0.4 and yesterday v5.0.6. and none are even starting on my phone. Version 4.17 is still working fine, but let me explain a bit more that might help.

My phone is a Pixel5 with the custom AOSP based ROM CalyxOS installed with MicroG services to gain some of the google features like push notifications and access to google services. I don't use any Google accounts on that phone and have no access to the play store directly on this phone. The account I baught your app with is still active and I have to use it on a temporary phone to download app updates for paid apps like yours, back them up and install the apk on my Pixel. This procedure worked flawless for me until v5. The temporary phone is an old Galaxy S3 and is only used for this and is off if I don't need an update. Paid Apps can't be updated with the build in F-Droid or Aurora store under CalyxOS and I'am fine with that. I only have 2 paid apps anyways.

App version 4.17 installs fine and works without issues. App version 5 was the first one I coudn't use. Clearing cache of the old version, uninstall it, install newest version, so fine so good. As soon as I try to start your app, nothing happens. No error message, nothing. Is there a way I can help to diagnos the issues and make that app work again?

I know I'am a special case, but it would be nice to have an up to date version of your app working again on my privacy friendly phone where everything is working except of your really helpful app, and btw. in which version did you removed the password/fingerprint lock option inside the app? This was a feature I requested some time ago and you implemented it back than 😔

3 hours ago, bastl said:

App version 4.17 installs fine and works without issues. App version 5 was the first one I coudn't use

Hi, I'm pretty sure the reason it that with v5, I've changed the publishing format to what Google considers the official publishing format going forward (https://developer.android.com/platform/technology/app-bundle).

3 hours ago, bastl said:

in which version did you removed the password/fingerprint lock option inside the app? This was a feature I requested some time ago and you implemented it back than

I don't remember myself implementing this feature. I'll check the code, but I can't think of when I did that.

4 hours ago, bastl said:

I know I'am a special case

It certainly is, looks like a very secure setup, although I'm not sure a workaround exists.

The new format is exactly that: create an aab instead of an apk artifact. 😮

1 hour ago, jbrodriguez said:

publishing format

So if I understand the new format correctly, as a developer delivering new updates is easier and smaller now. You kinda update only parts of the app. But on the enduser device your app still exists as an APK, right? I grabbed that APK and sideloaded it on my main phone and the install went fine. This doesn't explain, why the app won't launch.

Did the app permissions changed compared to version 4?

Is there a way to force the app to start in a debug mode so I can get some logs for you? Or do you have a test build for me with debug enabled?

1 hour ago, jbrodriguez said:

I don't remember myself implementing this feature.

i'am kinda relativly sure that feature existed. If not, see it as a feature request 😄

@jbrodriguez I checked a couple other apps for backing up APKs and I found one which backed up all split APKs from that new format and on my main phone V5.0.6 is running now. Thanks for the hint with the new split file format 😘

What's with my feature request? Are you already on it?

Just kidding 😂

Would be nice if in the future the app start can be protected by a passcode or via finger print.

12 minutes ago, bastl said:

I bet you had that feature already in the app why should it ask for permissions like USE_BIOMETRIC and USE_FINGERPRINT 😂

This is new in v5, as described here 

The server's data is stored encrypted in local storage and the (random) password/key is kept securely in the keychain(ios)/keystore(android), that's the reason for the permissions, they're required in order to read/write from keychain/keystore

They also enable biometric security (fingerprint, face id), but that requires additional code to be implemented :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SavageAUS said:

I’m on unraid 6.10 RC2 and I cannot for the life of me add my server. The app finds it in discover I enter in my details ( http port 80 username and password ) and it just sits there and does nothing. 

That's odd, I guess you're not running the plugin on the server, otherwise it would have filled out the port and protocol.

Can you try setting protocol to https and port to 443, see if it makes a difference ?

That's odd, I guess you're not running the plugin on the server, otherwise it would have filled out the port and protocol.
Can you try setting protocol to https and port to 443, see if it makes a difference ?

I am running the plug-in on my server.

I had to delete and reinstall the app for it to “discover” correctly. Now I don’t need to fill in the port and ip but it refuses to connect. Password is filled in but screenshot removed it.
50b5a701c851b90e6922022984d9177e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

I am running the plug-in on my server.

I had to delete and reinstall the app for it to “discover” correctly. Now I don’t need to fill in the port and ip but it refuses to connect. Password is filled in but screenshot removed it.
50b5a701c851b90e6922022984d9177e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, having your protocol and port filled from the server sounds better :)

Is your server provisioned into the unraid.net services ?

ControlR 5.1.0 is rolling out to Apple and Google stores !

v5.1.0

- Next generation ControlR, with a streamlined and more functional user interface and completely re-architected to support even more greate features
- Implementation of (experimental) qrcode scanner: it's now easier to add a server to your app

The qrcode scanning is still a bit experimental becuase I only have a limited set of devices to test it on, but it worked for me.

Also, note that I'll be running a #CyberMonday2021 40% off sale: pick it up for $2.99 this monday (Nov 29th) only !

Edited by jbrodriguez