ControlR (Android/iOS app for unRAID)

Hi I am interested in getting this app. I would like it if it was also compatible with android tv so i can also run on my shield in the bedroom.

Just one thing can you explain the app permissions

This app has access to:

Photos / Media / Files
Uses one or more of: files on the device such as images, videos or audio, the device's external storage

I guess this is if the app needs to be moved to sd card?

Wi-Fi connection information
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and names of connected Wi-Fi devices

This is self explanitory !

Device ID & call information
Allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active and the remote number connected by a call

This is the permission i am not sure can you explain why this is necessary.  I am sorry i hope this question doesn't sound rude but having just read about mobile device app security and the recent Runkeeper data privacy leak I just wanted to ask  :)

Hello gridrunner,

I value privacy a lot, so the questions you ask are totally fine with me.

With regards to Android TV, I'm not really sure, since I don't know if Android TV runs a sub-set or a different version of Android. I will check this.

Now on to the permissions:

- Photos / Media / Files

Actually, I think I can improve that.

I cache the server banner locally (and in the future docker/vms logos), so I'm using the device images folder to store them.

But I think I can drop the external storage requirement, just need to check it doesn't break any other code.

- Wi-Fi connection information

Right

- Device ID & call information

I'm using the device id as the user identifier for the crash reporting library embedded in the app (it's Fabric/Crashlytics by Twitter).

I think I could md5 the device id, before it leaves the app, to keep it private.

As for call information, I'm not really using that.

To be honest I didn't know the app requests access to the phone number, active calls and remote number  :o

The only permissions currently set are INTERNET, WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW.

I'll investigate how to drop the call information requirement.

Hi I am interested in getting this app. I would like it if it was also compatible with android tv so i can also run on my shield in the bedroom.

Just one thing can you explain the app permissions

This app has access to:

Photos / Media / Files
Uses one or more of: files on the device such as images, videos or audio, the device's external storage

I guess this is if the app needs to be moved to sd card?

Wi-Fi connection information
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and names of connected Wi-Fi devices

This is self explanitory !

Device ID & call information
Allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active and the remote number connected by a call

This is the permission i am not sure can you explain why this is necessary.  I am sorry i hope this question doesn't sound rude but having just read about mobile device app security and the recent Runkeeper data privacy leak I just wanted to ask  :)

Hello gridrunner,

I value privacy a lot, so the questions you ask are totally fine with me.

With regards to Android TV, I'm not really sure, since I don't know if Android TV runs a sub-set or a different version of Android. I will check this.

Now on to the permissions:

- Photos / Media / Files

Actually, I think I can improve that.

I cache the server banner locally (and in the future docker/vms logos), so I'm using the device images folder to store them.

But I think I can drop the external storage requirement, just need to check it doesn't break any other code.

- Wi-Fi connection information

Right

- Device ID & call information

I'm using the device id as the user identifier for the crash reporting library embedded in the app (it's Fabric/Crashlytics by Twitter).

I think I could md5 the device id, before it leaves the app, to keep it private.

As for call information, I'm not really using that.

To be honest I didn't know the app requests access to the phone number, active calls and remote number  :o

The only permissions currently set are INTERNET, WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE and SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW.

I'll investigate how to drop the call information requirement.

Thanks for replying so quickly. Yes that makes sense. I will buy the app when i'm home this evening  :) As regards the android tv i think it runs the same android as others as it is possible on rooted devices to run other android apps not meant for android tv. I think its just the different screen dimensions.

I am looking forward to the vm and docker support  ;D

edit... just one thing. It would be good to have a restricted mode on the app so i could put it on the girlfriends phone so she can start and stop vms (mainly openelec) without being able to do any "damage!" to anything else by mistake!

Not an android programmer, but I think the device ID is in the same permission group as call status, so if you ask for permission to use the id, it's going to set the whole group.

Maybe figure out another way to get a unique identifier out of the info you already need? More likely though, if you want to use that particular crash reporter, it's going to need that permissions group set.

edit... just one thing. It would be good to have a restricted mode on the app so i could put it on the girlfriends phone so she can start and stop vms (mainly openelec) without being able to do any "damage!" to anything else by mistake!

Mmmm, that would mean some kind of user/permissions configuration (at the app level)  :o

I'll look into it after I've completed the current feature requests.

Not an android programmer, but I think the device ID is in the same permission group as call status, so if you ask for permission to use the id, it's going to set the whole group.

Maybe figure out another way to get a unique identifier out of the info you already need? More likely though, if you want to use that particular crash reporter, it's going to need that permissions group set.

Right, they're in the same permission group.

I think I've found a way to work around this.

I'll be doing some testing, before declaring success :)

Hi, I've published v1.2.0 to the Play Store (normal roll out times apply).

The new features are:

- Support for Dockers and VMs: start, stop, remove, edit and view web ui

- Remove the requirement for some permissions

- Improve banner caching mechanism

- Fix issue where the refresh interval setting wasn't being saved

- Fix sorting of servers in main page

- Bug fixes and improvements

Some additional details:

Docker/VMs:

I've tested the functionality in unRAID versions: 6.1.4, 6.1.8, 6.2.0-beta21, 6.2.0-beta23 and 6.2.0-rc1.

It should work fine with other versions, but should you find something odd, let me know about it.

Permissions

I've dropped the requirement for "Photos / Media / Files" and "Device ID & call information".

Instead of device id, I use a combination of other device elements, then hash them (sha256) into an identifier for the crash report library. Now, the personal information remains private.

As for photos/media/files, I was able to drop it without issues.

Wow....

Just tried this out and it's awesome!!!  Love the docker and kvm functionality.  Good work..

One small issue I found, was when trying to add my server manually I kept getting an error.  Adding automatically works fine though.  Deleted the app and reinstalled but still the same.  Same behaviour on both Unraid servers.

EDIT: Found one other problem.  If I try to edit container settings while the container is running, whole app crashes.

Let me know if you need any logs or more info.  Drop me a PM if needs be.

Thanks for working on this though, great job!

Screenshot_2016-07-08-23-48-00.png.11074cc1aefa4d67cdac0fd7c8213ee5.png

Screenshot_2016-07-08-23-48-12.png.ab1362980f1cc8348041cb369dd50cc3.png

Unfortunately it's back to not being able to add my slow server. In both manual and automatic (If the default timeout is used, it goes past the slow server) it gets stuck on that IP. Only way to get out of it is to close the app. Looks like the app doesn't respect the timeout setting.

I didn't see the same problem as CHBMB in manual mode.

Screenshot_20160709-020724.png.d1607155e6fc4822ac1a90faa6c50316.png

Wow....

Just tried this out and it's awesome!!!  Love the docker and kvm functionality.  Good work..

One small issue I found, was when trying to add my server manually I kept getting an error.  Adding automatically works fine though.  Deleted the app and reinstalled but still the same.  Same behaviour on both Unraid servers.

EDIT: Found one other problem.  If I try to edit container settings while the container is running, whole app crashes.

Thanks a lot for your words CHBMB !

I've fixed the error you're getting while adding a server.

Turns out I didn't account for zeros being valid in the ip address :)

I think the end state for this validation will be to check it's a private ipv4 address.

About the crash, what unRAID version are you running ?

Let me know and I'll dig a bit.

Unfortunately it's back to not being able to add my slow server. In both manual and automatic (If the default timeout is used, it goes past the slow server) it gets stuck on that IP. Only way to get out of it is to close the app. Looks like the app doesn't respect the timeout setting.

I didn't see the same problem as CHBMB in manual mode.

Oh no !

I've made some tests with a 10s timeout and it does time out.

Are you still on beta23 or have you upgraded to rc1 ?

I think there's some issue with the bridge setting.

In any case, I'll look at the new networking variables, see if that helps.

I'll get in touch.

Wow....

Thanks a lot for your words CHBMB !

I've fixed the error you're getting while adding a server.

Turns out I didn't account for zeros being valid in the ip address :)

I think the end state for this validation will be to check it's a private ipv4 address.

About the crash, what unRAID version are you running ?

Let me know and I'll dig a bit.

I'm running 6.2 RC1 but can test on other versions if you need.

Hi, I've published v1.2.0 to the Play Store (normal roll out times apply).

The new features are:

- Support for Dockers and VMs: start, stop, remove, edit and view web ui

- Remove the requirement for some permissions

- Improve banner caching mechanism

- Fix issue where the refresh interval setting wasn't being saved

- Fix sorting of servers in main page

- Bug fixes and improvements

Some additional details:

Docker/VMs:

I've tested the functionality in unRAID versions: 6.1.4, 6.1.8, 6.2.0-beta21, 6.2.0-beta23 and 6.2.0-rc1.

It should work fine with other versions, but should you find something odd, let me know about it.

Permissions

I've dropped the requirement for "Photos / Media / Files" and "Device ID & call information".

Instead of device id, I use a combination of other device elements, then hash them (sha256) into an identifier for the crash report library. Now, the personal information remains private.

As for photos/media/files, I was able to drop it without issues.

Great work. Thanks for sorting the permissions. Just bought now.

Its great with the docker and vm management but if i could make a suggestion.

1. How about when we press the apps button,the vms and dockers are separated rather than one long list (a separate column for each)

2. I would like to see the icons/writing for each vm/docker to be about twice the size( in height). I would rather have to scroll more but have large icons. For me at least it would make it clearer and easier to operate on my phone. (sony xperia z2)

3. When a docker or vm is on, the green tick is not really easy to see. How about the vm/docker icon either changing colour or the icon totally changing to some type of "on" icon. Maybe current icon but with a tick over it.

4. I dont think when you press configure on a vm or docker it should bring the unraid gui up taking us away from the app.

I dont think many of us would be editing existing dockers and vms from the app anyway.

5.  As in my previous post it would be great to have the app with a restricted mode so it can be put on family members phones tablets    to let them start and stop vms or dockers but nothing else.

6. Did you find out about android tv support? I have an nvidea shield in the bedroom. I run emby on that to stream my media to bedroom. I also use moonlight to gamestream games from my gaming vm. I would find you app more useful on the shield than my phone. It would be great to be able to easily start and stop my gaming vm from the shield itself.

Anyway thanks for the great work on this app and i look forward to seeing it go forward in the future 8)

Ok, published 1.2.1

- Fixed IP address validation (it allows zeros in the segments now)

- Fixed crash when editing a running container

Thanks for the report CHBMB.

saarg, I'll get in touch with you to figure out what's going on with that slow server.

Sorry for being the difficult kid  ;D

And just to be even more difficult I have to mention another problem. On both my devices I had to delete the appdata or else ControlR would just continuously refresh, but thinking about it, it might be that was my slow servers fault. Since none of the others have reported the same, that must be the reason.

Fix working fine for me...

Found a small, but non-critical bug.

On my main server it's not displaying the TB next to free space or array.  However on my virtual unRAID it is correctly displaying the GB next to the array (Yes it's a 50GB array, just a VM for testing stuff and DVB builds  ;D)

Screenshot_2016-07-09-10-21-48.png.79170a30b54900e26dab45164a56b481.png

Great work. Thanks for sorting the permissions. Just bought now.

Its great with the docker and vm management but if i could make a suggestion.

1. How about when we press the apps button,the vms and dockers are separated rather than one long list (a separate column for each)

2. I would like to see the icons/writing for each vm/docker to be about twice the size( in height). I would rather have to scroll more but have large icons. For me at least it would make it clearer and easier to operate on my phone. (sony xperia z2)

3. When a docker or vm is on, the green tick is not really easy to see. How about the vm/docker icon either changing colour or the icon totally changing to some type of "on" icon. Maybe current icon but with a tick over it.

4. I dont think when you press configure on a vm or docker it should bring the unraid gui up taking us away from the app.

I dont think many of us would be editing existing dockers and vms from the app anyway.

5.  As in my previous post it would be great to have the app with a restricted mode so it can be put on family members phones tablets    to let them start and stop vms or dockers but nothing else.

6. Did you find out about android tv support? I have an nvidea shield in the bedroom. I run emby on that to stream my media to bedroom. I also use moonlight to gamestream games from my gaming vm. I would find you app more useful on the shield than my phone. It would be great to be able to easily start and stop my gaming vm from the shield itself.

Anyway thanks for the great work on this app and i look forward to seeing it go forward in the future 8)

Thanks gridrunner !

As for your comments:

1- Separate vm / docker page

Yes. It's possible to have separate pages: one for dockers and one for vms. I'd have to remove the shares page though, to make it all fit.

I've added two ideas for this on the feedback forum. l'll implement the highest voted

2/3- Bigger icons

What can be done is have two rows for each app: the first row with icon, status, name and some other data; the second row would hold the available actions.

Same as previous, it's up for voting in the forum.

4 - Edit settings

Right, I left it there more as a quick check.

5 - User permissions

I'll look into this later on.

6 - Android TV

What I've seen is Android TV is based on Android 5.0, so the app should run there.

But it will definitively won't be optimized for such a big screen.

Fix working fine for me...

Found a small, but non-critical bug.

On my main server it's not displaying the TB next to free space or array.  However on my virtual unRAID it is correctly displaying the GB next to the array (Yes it's a 50GB array, just a VM for testing stuff and DVB builds  ;D)

That's definitely odd  :o

I'll pm you in a moment.

Sorry for being the difficult kid  ;D

And just to be even more difficult I have to mention another problem. On both my devices I had to delete the appdata or else ControlR would just continuously refresh, but thinking about it, it might be that was my slow servers fault. Since none of the others have reported the same, that must be the reason.

That's ok :)

If you remove the slow server, does it behave as expected ?

PM sent.