ControlR (Android/iOS app for unRAID)

Ok, that makes sense.

The name is used as the key for storage.

I'll add a name field to the Manual add page: if a name is given (optional), the app will use it, otherwise it will use the name from the server itself.

This way, in cases like yours, you can name (on the app) one of the servers differently and it will be added normally.

• 2 weeks later...

v3.2.0 is available on Play/App store !

Allow a custom server name to be set, to account for multiple references to the same or separate servers.

Also in this release:
- Fix for hardware back button handling (android only)
- Improve logic to obtain system stats (temps, fans)
- Other bug fixes and improvements

Make sure to also install the latest version of the plugin (which will be up shortly)

Many thanks jbrodriguez! It works perfectly now!

a minor thing: while I was adding servers I used the autocomplete for IP addresses and my Android OS put a space after the IP address during the autocomplete. ControlR won't add the server in this case as it seems it is not recognizing it as an IP/host. Took me quite some mins to figure out what's wrong. Maybe you could look into this to avoid confusion of users in similar case?

Not sure how difficult it would be to code, but would be nice, if the order of the servers could be modified (not something you cannot live without, but always nice to have your own server as first :) )

Thank you again!

3 hours ago, olympia said:

and my Android OS put a space after the IP address during the autocomplete

You're right. When I rewrote the app, I missed trimming the input in these fields. Will fix it.

3 hours ago, olympia said:

if the order of the servers could be modified

Currently, they're sorted by ip address/hostname. 

I'll look into sorting by name.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I have run into a bug. Used this app to reboot my server and now it’s hung on this screen after the boot completes-

C9008FD1-1B7A-4C51-8E9F-E8A8A390C87C.thumb.png.29ec0f2c25d89f2426a0ba05e3088073.png

I can’t go back. The only option is to force quit the app.

Edit: Only happens if you close the app before the shutdown process completes. If I just leave it open, no issues.

Edited by wgstarks
17 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Only happens if you close the app before the shutdown process completes. If I just leave it open, no issues.

Oh ok, that sounds better.

What's probably happening is that when you open the app back again, it sees the server is (still) up, since it has already rebooted.

The apps waits a bit for the server to go down (reboot/powerdown), by checking if it's still online.

I've reduced the time it waits checking for this, to about 4 min. I'll probably lower it a bit more.

v3.3.0 is available on the Play/App store !

This is a maintenance release, updating underlying libraries.

Other changes are:
- Trim input fields on automatic/manual server discovery
- Optimize logic to collect parity info
- Improve online check logic for powerdown/reboot ops
- Fix issue with online check settings
- Bug fixes and improvements

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue mentioned by wgstarks (I can switch to another app and when it resumes, the waiting ... message disappears, it doesn't crash).

But I'll be doing some further checks on the matter.

1 hour ago, jbrodriguez said:

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue mentioned by wgstarks (I can switch to another app and when it resumes, the waiting ... message disappears, it doesn't crash).

But I'll be doing some further checks on the matter.

Actually, I didn't get a crash. It froze. and only if I didn't wait for the shutdown to complete (~30 seconds (ish)).

I remember checking into this app about a year ago, but didn't install it. In the Christmas spirit, I decided to give myself an early gift and just bought a copy. My only regret now is that I have but one server to manage from my phone!

I do seem to have one issue, though. It will not find the server in Automatic mode. I've set the automatic timeout to 30000 ms (it saves the changes), I've left the port at the default of 80, user name: root, and I've entered my root password. I click 'Discover', and it returns instantly to the Servers screen with the "No servers available" message. I've tried this 5-10 times, so I'm pretty sure I haven't mistyped my password that many times. (To be fair, the first time I tried, I didn't add my password. I figured the "automatic discovery" would find unRAID servers on the network then prompt me to select (if more than) one, and ask for user/pwd at that point. I guess the layout isn't 100% intuitively obvious to everyone, but I figured it out after reading the first page or two of the thread.)

If I type in the IP address in the the manual server add (with all the other info), it will add it immediately, no issues. If I enter the server name, though, I get an error telling me to "Please enter a valid IP address / Hostname"

My server is running 6.3.5, my phone is a Moto G5+ running Android (7.0, August 1, 2017 security patch). I just installed CrontrolR tonight, so I'm running. 3.3.0, and I've got the ControlR plug-in 2.6.1 installed as well.

For me, this is more of a minor annoyance issue than a problem because I can type my on static IP address in quite easily, but I'd imagine you'll want to look into it. Let me know if there is any additional info you'd like to hunt this down. I've noted that you've been through this one a few times (yes, I actually read all 30 pages - it was a slow day), so I was quite surprised that I had issues with it at all. I've been very impressed with the speed with which you've tracked down & patched bugs and released new features. Not bad at all for a solo effort! :o

19 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks. I have a VPN client installed on my router. What you are referring to is a VPN server in a docker, right? If I were to succeed to set this up, would this allow me to access my full Unraid even including all dockers and VMs? Would my routerVPN (client) conflict?

Probably a question for the OpenVPN-AS thread. I don’t use VPN forwarding so not really sure. Probably depends on the software you’re using and such.

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks. I have a VPN client installed on my router. What you are referring to is a VPN server in a docker, right? If I were to succeed to set this up, would this allow me to access my full Unraid even including all dockers and VMs? Would my routerVPN (client) conflict?

It works fine for me!  Allows me to access everything I can when connected directly by WiFi to my local LAn.   Not surprising as the whole point of such a setup is to give you secure remote access to your LAN.

the VPN Client on the router should not conflict as that would only be used for outbound connections.   Having said that I do not have such a client on my setup so cannot be completely definitive about it.