ControlR (Android/iOS app for unRAID)

1 hour ago, nuhll said:

Yes, ofc, i BUY a software and develop a free addon for it.

"You realize it's way more likely they would try to hack the server/app than your VPN, right?"

Thats just wrong. Why should anyone invest so much time and effort to hack this app to turn your array off...... 

SSH is also widley used and was servival times hacked already.

Why i dont want VPN? BECAUSE I DONT NEED IT... 

But: I dont care, do what you want, in this state, this app is useless for me. Its a suggestion, which many ppl would like, if you dont want to use it, make it configurable, its that easy.

Dear God, what is wrong with you?

This issue has been debated before, and I happen to agree that VPN is the way forward, it's established, regularly audited, proven secure, and built with this sort of thing in mind.  That to me seems a much better fit that requesting jbrodriguez develop something from scratch. 

I think we've got the message you disagree, because you don't need it, (unless you want to use controlR from WAN that is) but there's no need to shout.

Don't want it, don't buy it, which still leaves you with how to access your server from WAN dilemma.  I guess you could use a VPN and use the webui.......

Or develop your own application.  Choice is yours, but for me and a good few others, we appreciate the work jbrodriguez is doing on this, and actually agree with his decision not to support WAN access.  (In fact when this issue was raised when the app was first released I think I was the first to state my opinion that it was not something that should be included.)

2 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Dear God, what is wrong with you?

This issue has been debated before, and I happen to agree that VPN is the way forward, it's established, regularly audited, proven secure, and built with this sort of thing in mind.  That to me seems a much better fit that requesting jbrodriguez develop something from scratch. 

I think we've got the message you disagree, because you don't need it, (unless you want to use controlR from WAN that is) but there's no need to shout.

Don't want it, don't buy it, which still leaves you with how to access your server from WAN dilemma.  I guess you could use a VPN and use the webui.......

Or develop your own application.  Choice is yours, but for me and a good few others, we appreciate the work jbrodriguez is doing on this, and actually agree with his decision not to support WAN access.  (In fact when this issue was raised when the app was first released I think I was the first to state my opinion that it was not something that should be included.)

What is wrong with you? Thats the question, and all of u.

I jsut make a suggestion and getting attacked from all sides. 

He didnt said to me "i wont add it" and YES, i didnt read 30 pages. 

You're not getting attacked, but you keep shouting and it's irritating. 

VPNs don't tend to get hacked as instead of user/password model you're proposing they rely on a private key and password.   And as far as I'm aware are an industry standard way of accessing your LAN.  Yes I agree that it gives you access to the whole LAN, but I suspect for most of us the Unraid server is the main hub in the LAN anyway. 

9 hours ago, nuhll said:

Yes, he need server.

But you dont understand, you dont let the server connect to your lan, Its the LAN connect to the server.

VPN provide access to your WHOLE NETWORK. My solution would only allow access to the unraid interface. Also whats more likely to happen? Someone hack VPN (18923798127398127312749812931893891 mrd user) or someone hack a app which has <1000 user?

Also the server side part could be secured pretty easy, like with certificate, https, encryption, what ever. 

with security advice like this, i'd take this guy seriously. seriously, you guys... 

@jbrodriguez - Maybe you should put a note near the top of your OP indicating that it doesn't support WAN access, that you're not planning on implementing it (as you've mentioned a couple of times), a quick run-down on the reasons why, and the recommendation that people install OpenVPN-AS if they want/need WAN access. Being able to point people to the big red text in the OP should eliminate a lot of the questions and arguments about it and save everyone a lot of typing. Just a thought...

Also, I think that many people's idea of a VPN is that it's a service they pay for to hide/obfuscate their access to something from their network as opposed to running the server on their own machine (for free) to be able to securely get access to their own internal LAN from elsewhere.

Edited by FreeMan

Thanks for all the comments on this matter !

The bottom line is I won't be implementing a remote/WAN access feature natively in the app.

These are the first two answers in the FAQ  :)

I will probably reinforce the message and remove the feature request  from the request forum.

On a separate note, I'll be on a break, so most likely I won't publish new releases of the app/plugins until January.

Cheers !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm having difficulty adding a second server that has the new HTTPS via let's encrypt feature of 6.4. Anyone else having this issue? I already have 1 server thats on 6.3.5 with only HTTP and have no issues adding.

Trying to add via IP or the new host name doesn't work. I've also tried various combinations of hostname+IP + HTTPS flag in the app (and I'm pretty sure I'm not fat fingering the inputs).

Thanks!

Edited by vortexrap

v3.4.0 is available on Play/App Store !

This is a minor release to support 6.4.1, since there were issues interacting with dockers.

Please note that beginning with this release, the app supports unRAID versions 6.2.0+.

The app should mostly work with 6.1.x, but if any issues come up, I won't be able to fix them.

Many changes took place in 6.2.x and now that 6.4.x has gone stable, it's no longer viable to keep supporting 6.1.x

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

v3.5.0 is available on Play/App Store !

This release implements support for Mover and Sleep:

- Request an immediate execution of Mover 
- Make the server sleep (dynamix.s3.sleep plugin required)

Both commands need a confirmation (configurable).

These commands appear in the strip below the main server information and you can scroll this strip and reorder the commands to put your preferred ones first (via Settings).

Also, IPMI support is now officially available.

Additionally:
- Fix elapsed parity time
- Add credits

- Other bug fixes and enhancements

Please remember to install the latest version of the ControlR plugin to have all the features at your disposal.

ljm42 mentioned that without a parity disk present, there shouldn't be a button to check parity, but it's there in the standard webUI (it performs a read-check) and the app is mirroring it, so I didn't make any changes about that. I tested on 6.4.x only, to be honest.

If no major issues come up, I'll work on adding scripts execution, I think that's going to be fun :D

On 2/22/2018 at 8:47 PM, Ashe said:

show the status of the cache drive

I think I fixed this on dev environment :)

On 2/22/2018 at 8:47 PM, Ashe said:

unassigned devices on the Disks page

Yes, I've skipped over unassigned devices O.o

The truth is UD is very feature-rich and consequently, difficult to 'implement' in the app.

I thought it was going to be incorporated into unRAID itself, but this has not happened so far.

I could probably compromise on just showing any UD and basic stats, no ops, just like the rest of the devices in the Disks page.