ControlR (Android/iOS app for unRAID)

v2.1.0 has been submitted to both stores.

This release enables support for over-the-air updates, to remove dependency on

App Store submission, for critical bug fixes.

Look for a Settings icon colored red, to know that an app update is available.

Restart the app to apply the updates.

Also in this release:

- Fix a bug where servers with an incomplete parity check couldn't be added

- Add support for unRAID mainline releases, such as 6.2.1-20160922

- Restore access to Open Source Libraries screen

- General improvements

Starting with this release, 'patch' (2.1.x) versions needed to fix critical bugs, will be delivered over the air, to minimize deployment times.

'minor' releases (2.2.0, 2.3.0, etc) will be delivered using standard App Store / Play Store submissions. But I could still make an exception to this general rule.

Thanks for all the support and patience with the app's growing pains :D

Not sure if this is addressed in the iOS update, but currently when changing the text size on the iPhone it loses my server settings and it has to be re-added

I thought the same happend to me, but i was wrong.

When you have changed the text size and return to the server list, then your server is gone. Then swipe down the screen to refresh and you server will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if this is addressed in the iOS update, but currently when changing the text size on the iPhone it loses my server settings and it has to be re-added

When you have changed the text size and return to the server list, then your server is gone. Then swipe down the screen to refresh and you server will be back.

Quite correct, thanks for that.

First thanks for making this app jbrodriguez, wanted one for android for awhile now.

The good:

App found my servers automatically, no issues there.

Now for a coupe bugs and a few observations/suggestions.

Running Android 5.1.1, Unraid 6.1.9 and 6.2

Bugs:

When I click spin down the disks actually spin up

In VM tab the delete icon is on top of the VM text name, at the very start of the name.

When scrolling between the tabs (docker, vm etc) swiping left slowly doesn't "snap" to the next screen. Swiping right always "snaps" to the next tab as it should.

Suggestions, the light brown is a little hard to see on the dark background when the dark theme is used.

I also think when you click into the server the top summary banner should go away as you already have the summary on the previous screen but that's obviously my opinion.

I would still like the app to work over the internet without the use of a vpn as long as it could be made secure enough. Not that I have a problem setting up a VPN, both my servers have VPN already set up. But I don't really want my phone to have access to my network all the time and I also have servers in two different locations which would require my phone to have two vpn connections setup.

This doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Not sure when it quit working since I hadn't tried it out in a while. unRAID 6.2.1.2016-09-22 and Android 6.0.1

Or maybe I just don't know how to use it.

I can add the server manually, but I can't seem to get to any of the other pages. I used to be able to get to the other pages, but don't remember if I had to click the server, press and hold the server, or swipe on the server. Now whatever I try only makes the delete button appear. I was able to get to the other pages accidentally one time recently I think by swiping, but I can't seem to make it happen again.

Right, I've seen that bug too ... will address it in the next release

First thanks for making this app jbrodriguez, wanted one for android for awhile now.

The good:

App found my servers automatically, no issues there.

Now for a coupe bugs and a few observations/suggestions.

Thanks for your comments bnevets27 !

I certainly like to hear usability experiences.

When I click spin down the disks actually spin up

Definitely a bug ! Someone sent me an email about this as well. I'll look into it

In VM tab the delete icon is on top of the VM text name, at the very start of the name.

Would you send me a screenshot to have a better idea of the issue ?

When scrolling between the tabs (docker, vm etc) swiping left slowly doesn't "snap" to the next screen. Swiping right always "snaps" to the next tab as it should.

I'll check this.

Suggestions, the light brown is a little hard to see on the dark background when the dark theme is used.

I've been thinking about a second set of themes, I have already picked base colors, just need time to get it done :)

I also think when you click into the server the top summary banner should go away as you already have the summary on the previous screen but that's obviously my opinion.

The thing is some users have just one server and have already asked to go directly to the detail screen in these cases. If I were to remove the banner, then they would lose this info.

I would still like the app to work over the internet without the use of a vpn as long as it could be made secure enough. Not that I have a problem setting up a VPN, both my servers have VPN already set up. But I don't really want my phone to have access to my network all the time and I also have servers in two different locations which would require my phone to have two vpn connections setup.

I understand the point, but there are a couple of reasons why I'm holding back on this.

- It wouldn't be any easier to set up than it is to set up OpenVPN and peter_sm has two OpenVPN plugins to make it as easy as possible.

- I don't consider myself a security expert. Even OpenVPN (which is made by people definitely more knowledgeable than me in these matters) has security advisories as recent as Sep 12th. Which leads me to the last reason I'd like to bring up and it's a matter of liability.

- Let's say this gets done and users can access their server over the internet, but then someone exploits a bug/flaw in the plugin (which would be required to make this work), a server is compromised and maybe there's data loss. I really don't want to be involved in such a scenario.

To be honest, security is not an easy matter :)

This doesn't seem to work for me anymore. Not sure when it quit working since I hadn't tried it out in a while. unRAID 6.2.1.2016-09-22 and Android 6.0.1

I can add the server manually, but I can't seem to get to any of the other pages. I used to be able to get to the other pages, but don't remember if I had to click the server, press and hold the server, or swipe on the server. Now whatever I try only makes the delete button appear. I was able to get to the other pages accidentally one time recently I think by swiping, but I can't seem to make it happen again.

Hi trurl, are you running the latest version 2.1.0 ?

If that's the case, let me know and I'll pm you to find about a bit more about your case.

I understand the point, but there are a couple of reasons why I'm holding back on this.

- It wouldn't be any easier to set up than it is to set up OpenVPN and peter_sm has two OpenVPN plugins to make it as easy as possible.

- I don't consider myself a security expert. Even OpenVPN (which is made by people definitely more knowledgeable than me in these matters) has security advisories as recent as Sep 12th. Which leads me to the last reason I'd like to bring up and it's a matter of liability.

- Let's say this gets done and users can access their server over the internet, but then someone exploits a bug/flaw in the plugin (which would be required to make this work), a server is compromised and maybe there's data loss. I really don't want to be involved in such a scenario.

Personally I use pushbullet for push notifications towards my smartphone, that way if anything bad happens pushbullet notifies me, I then log in to the system using vpn... Works fine..

If that's the case, let me know and I'll pm you to find about a bit more about your case.

I think I am seeing this too. I had previously chalked it up to not recalling what the app had. I get the main page, no inner pages at all.

Yes, 2.1.0

Sure, could you pm me your email as its a lot easier then posting on this forum.

The thing is some users have just one server and have already asked to go directly to the detail screen in these cases. If I were to remove the banner, then they would lose this info.

Ah ok, didn't know that. Could you make that a setting or by default set it up as, if one server go directly to details screen if not display list of servers. Then when going to each server there is no banner? I don't know if that's a lot of programing though. Then again I'm bias but for users with one server all it does is save them one click. Every user has to scroll on every tab all the time because of that banner.

Yeah I completely understand all your points. And I've seen here that you are hesitant to add internet access. I mainly wanted to voice my interest in it.

But I'll respond to you points.

-Setup, well to be honest OpenVPN setup is not that hard any more. Not extremely easy but definitely not hard. So if its just as easy/hard are OpenVPN I don't see that as a negative. Still saves someone exposing their entire network just for this app (Its probably possible to create restrictions in OpenVPN but still there are reasons for this)

-Security is always a sensitive issue. But could you maybe restrict the apps functions when connected over the web on the server side? (via a plugin is how I assume you would be adding this) Ie, only allow users to view stats and not make any changes to the server? or maybe allow starting and stopping dockers, and spin down but no editing or shutting down of the server? If the plugin on the server side has no access to anything sensitive on the server then even if its exploited then it couldn't be used to do anything really? Just putting it out there, not sure how true or feasible it may be.

Yes, 2.1.0

Sent you a pm

Sure, could you pm me your email as its a lot easier then posting on this forum.

Pm sent.

Ah ok, didn't know that. Could you make that a setting or by default set it up as, if one server go directly to details screen if not display list of servers. Then when going to each server there is no banner? I don't know if that's a lot of programing though. Then again I'm bias but for users with one server all it does is save them one click. Every user has to scroll on every tab all the time because of that banner.

Mmm, I hadn't seen it that way and you have a point (every user has to scroll on every tab all the time because of that banner). I'll think about it a bit.

Yeah I completely understand all your points. And I've seen here that you are hesitant to add internet access. I mainly wanted to voice my interest in it.

But I'll respond to you points.

-Setup, well to be honest OpenVPN setup is not that hard any more. Not extremely easy but definitely not hard. So if its just as easy/hard are OpenVPN I don't see that as a negative. Still saves someone exposing their entire network just for this app (Its probably possible to create restrictions in OpenVPN but still there are reasons for this)

-Security is always a sensitive issue. But could you maybe restrict the apps functions when connected over the web on the server side? (via a plugin is how I assume you would be adding this) Ie, only allow users to view stats and not make any changes to the server? or maybe allow starting and stopping dockers, and spin down but no editing or shutting down of the server? If the plugin on the server side has no access to anything sensitive on the server then even if its exploited then it couldn't be used to do anything really? Just putting it out there, not sure how true or feasible it may be.

Well, those are the questions that I don't have a firm answer to, that's why I'm still leaving it in the 'pendings' column :)

I'm publishing v2.1.1 as an over-the-air (ota) release

Starting with this release, over-the-air updates will be shown with a badge,

rather than coloring the icon red.

When the badge shows up, restart the app to apply the updates.

Also in this release:

- Fix spin down command (was sending a spin up)

- Debug code for press server issue

- General improvements

So, this first time, the presence of the update will be hinted at with a red Settings icon. From next time on, it will be shown with a badge on the icon.

Also in this release:

- General improvements

So, this first time, the presence of the update will be hinted at with a red Settings icon. From next time on, it will be shown with a badge on the icon.

do you not get in a fight with apple over this ?

Also in this release:

- General improvements

Seems to work great on my iPhone.

Suggestion: Currently installed version needs to be displayed somewhere within the app. Or did I miss it?

Also in this release:

- General improvements

do you not get in a fight with apple over this ?

I'm using Microsoft CodePush.

Your question is #1 in the FAQ.

Hopefully, I don't get in a fight with Apple :)

Also in this release:

- General improvements

Seems to work great on my iPhone.

Suggestion: Currently installed version needs to be displayed somewhere within the app. Or did I miss it?

The version is displayed in Settings > Open Source Libraries.

I will probably move it back as the first item in the Settings page, so that it's more available.

I've pushed v2.1.2, as an OTA release.

Now, to delete a server, press on the minus icon on the top left of your server. The swipe to delete functionality was removed due to a conflict when selecting a server (on Android).

Also in this release:

- Fix for servers disappearing on the main page, under some circumstances (iOS)

- General improvements

On Android, when tapping a server to go the details page, the swipe to delete feature was generating a conflict, so I removed it in both platforms (to maintain a uniform UI).

This works well with devices on Android 5.x+.

For devices on Android 4.x+, I enabled a setting to use the swipe to delete feature (based on an alternative library), which for some reason seems more reliable on those versions.

For iOS, this release includes a fix for the server disappearing on the main page (under some conditions).

Thanks to interwebtech and trurl, for helping me debug the server press issue.

Finally, in a previous post, I forgot to mention a docker openvpn solution for unRAID: Linuxserver.io OpenVPN-AS.