Time for an upgrade, need some good tips

KB36

A quality 600w power supply should be fine for your setup ... although 750w would give you a bit of extra headroom.    I am NOT a fan of the CX series Corsair's -- these are the bottom of the Corsair lineup and I've seen too many issues with them.    If you like Corsair, buy an HX or AX series.  Or get a Seasonic X series.

A quality 600w power supply should be fine for your setup ... although 750w would give you a bit of extra headroom.    I am NOT a fan of the CX series Corsair's -- these are the bottom of the Corsair lineup and I've seen too many issues with them.    If you like Corsair, buy an HX or AX series.  Or get a Seasonic X series.

The HX750i and the Seasonic X 750 cost the same.

So i it comes to that, i'm gonna go with the Seasonic.

But i can't complain with my CX 600 v2, it has worked flawless the last 3 years.

Hi -

You could upgrade your current system to unRAID 6.1.9 right now without any hardware updates.  You might want to go to the latest supported 5.06 first - but that's optional.

The biggest reason for an upgrade sounds like the XBox.  If the XBox can consume media directly like the Mede8ter then you'd be fine but my assumption is that it will require Plex to do some transcoding and that would benefit from a CPU upgrade.  Your current CPU is 2519 Passmarks and the Core i3 3250 is 4450 Passmarks.  The Celeron could struggle with a 1080p stream but the Core i3 could probably handle a single stream of whatever you throw at it though I haven't tried 3D SBS.  If you ever wanted Plex to transcode for a couple of devices, though, you might want to go for a Core i5.  Plex transcoding loves CPU, but doesn't need a lot of RAM.

8GB of RAM is fine for unRAID 6 and several Dockers.  You can go higher, but I'd try the 8GB you have first.  Is there a reason you want to do a PSU upgrade?  If you really need to do one, I'd recommend going a little higher in the Corsair product line - for instance the RM or HX lines.  The CX line has caused issues for some people.

I agree with gert that is sounds like you have a network hardware issue and are dropping down to 100mbit.

I've pretty much done exactly as you have written.

Updated to unRAID 6.1.9 directly from the previous version. Thanks to this guide

http://www.lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

Got my hands on a used ivy i5-3570k CPU, so there should be enough horsepower

Have installed Plexmediaserver, and getting to know how it works.

Gonna keep the 2 x 4 GB RAM for now.

Have ordered a 128 GB SSD disc to try out if cache is something for me. If not i might use it as the folder to store dockers and other stuff.

The VS line is the real bottom-scraper in Corsair's lineup.  The CX is a bit better.  The CS line is the lowest I'll buy now, which is just above the CX, similar sort of thing but they're 80Plus Gold compared to 80Plus Bronze of the CX.  I think the VS are 80Plus White. 

I do have a few CX units, and they're OK.  Not great, just OK.  The server runs a CS450M which has been fine so far.  I also have a few RM and AXi and they're WAY better units, but all too big for a little UnRAID box.