E5-2670 Build, Thoughts on this combo before I pull the trigger?

andro

I have been watching all the talk about the dual Xeon build and haven't seen this combo so I wanted to run in by the community before I pull the trigger.

I currently have 11 drives + Parity + Cache drive for 13 bays currently in use. I am using a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 currently. Server will be used for media storage / acquisition / Plex transcoding (3 streams). Once I have the upgrade finished I may look to experiment with some VMs.

I am looking at the Natex combo, seems most agree this is a good value. Does the mobo have any glaring shortcoming I am need to know about?

http://www.natex.us/product-p/s2600cp-cpu-128gb-12800.htm

I have been looking for a supermicro chassis and from what I can find, the R1200B has the SAS2 backplane so I shouldn't have any issues with >2TB drives.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-846E16-R1200B-BAREBONE-SERVER-CHASSIS-WITH-24x-TRAYS-INCLUDES-RAILS-/381077493540?hash=item58b9fd1724:g:LnoAAOxyThVTaXxj

Seems like way overkill to me for what you want to do. It sounds to me like you will have plenty of wasted cores doing nothing. Unless you are planning on creating and using many virtual machines, I think a single processor quad or hex core CPU should be fine for your needs. But hey if you have the money and want to go this route, its up to you.

A regular quad or hex core processor would likely cost just as much when you factor in the board and the ram.

I got the same cpu in a supermicro board and it is a beast.

I'm also of the belief that your needs will in time grow. My first unraid server had a single core sempron processor for just serving files. Now it runs a bunch of dockers and VMs including kodi in a vm.

There is a thread dedicated to that cpu under good deals. Many people got that combo and they seem to be pretty happy

Ignore the peasants. Put in Dual 6 core Xeons, max it out with 128GB of RAM. 32 CPUs roaring through content as you stream 4k to every room in the house. Sit back on your leather office chair, put your feet up, drink that 18 yr old scotch with some coke. You deserve it.

There's no such thing as TOO much power only too little.

Ignore the peasants. Put in Dual 6 core Xeons, max it out with 128GB of RAM. 32 CPUs roaring through content as you stream 4k to every room in the house. Sit back on your leather office chair, put your feet up, drink that 18 yr old scotch with some coke. You deserve it.

There's no such thing as TOO much power only too little.

I would never water down my scotch, let alone waste it with coke... lol