Ned

How to safely upgrade motherboard/CPU?

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Like the title says, I'm about to swap out my existing AMD board and CPU with a faster Intel setup.  In addition to unraid, I have a couple of dockers and a couple of windows 10 VMs running right now.  Do I simply back up my flash, take note of the drive assignments, power down, swap, and power back up?  Will the array come back up with the proper drive assignments even though they will be connected to a completely different set of SATA ports on a new motherboard?

The CPU I'm putting in is an Intel i7-6800k which will show 12 cores in unraid (6 cores hyperthreaded).  My old Phenom II 1055T has 6 cores non-threaded so what will happen to the core assignments for my VMs given the mismatch?  Should I set my VMs to not auto-start prior to the upgrade and check the core assignments when I boot up on the new CPU before I re-launch the VMs?  Also will the Windows 10 VMs just detect a CPU change and continue to function as normal?

Sorry, lots of questions but I just want to make sure there are no gotchas I should be aware of before I make the swap.

Thanks!

Like the title says, I'm about to swap out my existing AMD board and CPU with a faster Intel setup.  In addition to unraid, I have a couple of dockers and a couple of windows 10 VMs running right now.  Do I simply back up my flash, take note of the drive assignments, power down, swap, and power back up? 

Yes, backup your flash drive and take note of each of the drive assignments.

Will the array come back up with the proper drive assignments even though they will be connected to a completely different set of SATA ports on a new motherboard?

I have never done this so I could be wrong but my guess would be that you are going to have to reassign each drive once you connect them to the new motherboard. If that does happen I would only assign the data drives first without parity and start the array. Then double check to make sure all your data is there and you didn't accidentally assign the parity drive as a data drive. Assuming all looks good then stop the array and assign parity and then do the parity checks.

The CPU I'm putting in is an Intel i7-6800k which will show 12 cores in unraid (6 cores hyperthreaded).  My old Phenom II 1055T has 6 cores non-threaded so what will happen to the core assignments for my VMs given the mismatch?  Should I set my VMs to not auto-start prior to the upgrade and check the core assignments when I boot up on the new CPU before I re-launch the VMs? 

I would set all VM's to not auto-start. Then once you get all the discs a figured out above, I would use the unRAID editor and re-assign the correct cores to each VM. This will make sure you have the correct cores selected.

Also will the Windows 10 VMs just detect a CPU change and continue to function as normal?

Windows 10 may detect a hardware change and ask you to activate windows again. I know for sure if you use Microsoft Office 2010 it will ask you to reactive office if it detects the CPU has changed.

The disks will all come back in the same order as they were before.  All your docker containers will run as if nothing ever changed.  But it never hurts to make a note or print a screenshot.  VMs  I can't comment on

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

The CPU I'm putting in is an Intel i7-6800k which will show 12 cores in unraid (6 cores hyperthreaded).  My old Phenom II 1055T has 6 cores non-threaded so what will happen to the core assignments for my VMs given the mismatch?  Should I set my VMs to not auto-start prior to the upgrade and check the core assignments when I boot up on the new CPU before I re-launch the VMs?  Also will the Windows 10 VMs just detect a CPU change and continue to function as normal?

Definitely stop VM autorun and double check core assignments.

In terms of Windows, it should be automatic but you might be asked to reactivate.

Have done this very thing myself about a month ago I can tell you it was a very pain free experience.

The most important thing I can say is check and triple check your bios settings before you first boot to unraid as this can save you many hours of trying to work out why its not right.

My VM didnt mind the transfer to a new mobo and cpu but yes disable auto start just to make sure your network settings and core assignments are correct.

And dont worry about having to re-register your VM O/S as you will not need to.

Great to hear everything went smoothly for you.  Hope it will be the same for me!

Just about to tackle this issue tomorrow. In my case I'm reusing my motherboard (with onboard LAN) as a workstation.

Do I need to update the config on the flash drive and remove any MAC address stuff?

Posting to confirm the smoothness of this process. I changed the motherboard, CPU and kept the order of the HDDs. Push power on, everything working like nothing changed. Cool stuff.