IPV6 and unRaid??

tr0910

I have had my head in the sand regarding IPV6, but some recent experience has lead me to check it out.

I have friends in China, and we want to pass files back and forth between USA and China.  But most China internet is running CG-NAT or Large Scale NAT.  This means your router will show a WAN ip address of 100.64.xx.xx while your real ip address via http://ipecho.net/plain will be something like 219.130.xx.xx  This is essentially double NAT, except that you can't do anything about it.  The only solution is to get a static IP address and in China, this multiplies the cost of your internet connection by 3-4 times.  In this case, it is not an option.  Typical content is MS Office files and some larger image and video files we are co-producing.  All the content is our own creation.

Has anyone tested unRaid with IPV6 yet?  (I only see some brief comments in v6.2b19 about ipv6 error messages and the request for IPV6 support is currently outstanding)

What about dockers, are they affected?  (we are using BT Sync presently). 

What about plugins will they be affected?  (we would want to run Peter's excellent OpenVPN server in China)

I have Google Fiber here in the USA, and I pass all the IPV6 tests except ICMP and IPV6 Hostname.  The endpoint in China is not currently supporting IPV6 at present, but there is a large scale push to get it in place in China, so there is hope for ipv6 soon.

Real world experience based on testing suggests Skype TeamViewer and BT-Sync have a way to get through the double NAT, in spite of what Wikipedia says but performance suffers.  Skype calls often go bad, and BT Sync in China can push 6 times the data upstream on a 2mbit upstream fiber connection as it can receive down through the double NAT via a 100mbit downstream connection.  In the USA, I am 1000/1000 both ways.  This leads me to believe that a proper IPV6 connection would move 10 times to 100 times more data into China via BT Sync.  We will not be moving large volumes of data, but would like to have a reasonably quick sync when sharing a gigabyte sized file. 

Normal BT Sync transfer rates observed.

15 kb/sec into China (even though the download connection in China is 50 times faster than upload)

100 kb/sec out of China (on a 2mbit upload line)

The Great China Firewall is another beast entirely, and may also be interfering with the file transfers.  But IPV6 would allow more stable and reliable peer connections. 

• 1 year later...

You could approach this issue another way.

I know this works, because I have done it. 

Configure openVPN host on your unraid machine in China, and configure a client profile to your friend. Send the configuration file to him, and make him setup openvpn client on his machine. 

After that he will be able to join to your network and he can have access to shares same way as he would be right next to you.

You gonna be able to see all the files he put in the share and he will have access to everything too.

Make sure you have decent upload/download speeds (especially upload if he will download a lot and vice versa)