What's a safe/persistent location for scripts ??

Can anyone please explain why I can can no longer find the script and associated files which I've just spent 2 days developing and testing, as root, and which were stored in & off /root.

I've been using putty to write a script, logged in as root, which was actually all done and tested, finito benito. I even had a backup, but not unfortunately a print-out or a remote copy of my script, which is as ironic as it was horrifying to discover, since it was a script to sync (rsync) my main server to my backup server, disk by disk. I can only assume this is due to me bouncing my server to replace a disk, but now my script and a subdirectory which I created in /root for my backups and logs are all missing/vanished.

a) what happened - I need to understand this so I can avoid this EVER happening again.

b) also, where should I store my scripts in future which can be run from cron but are persistent locations.

Thanks

unRAID OS resides completely in RAM. It is unpacked fresh from the flash drive each boot. The only locations that persist are /boot (the flash drive) and whatever disks and user shares you have in /mnt. People usually put scripts on flash since the disks are not mounted unless the array is started.

I created a command line plugin that includes shellinabox, a cli screenshot (shows unRAID stats) and backs up /root on shutdown and reboot. I don't even use shellinabox but do rely on the screenshot and root backup

Share?  :)

Thanks

Myk

It was originally just shellinabox but it's more than that now. http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42683.0

Edit: I use it mostly for /root/.ssh/authorized_keys. That way I don't have to log in to my server and bash history.

ok, i have the plugin installed - been using it for months and is great - but whats this cli screenshot thingie?

Myk

It's kind of a misnomer. I think it's called screenshot cause people take screenshots of their cli login. But basically I modified the screenfetch script for unRAID. It looks like this which you login to the command line through a terminal program.

uploadfromtaptalk1466254176357.jpg.c4987b84a8f193274745ba157fdd7973.jpg